Craig bike park

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pwe312, Jun 18, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
  2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    It’s still “in the pipeline” - being worked on. I think things got changed again as one agency proposed bringing in the army corp of engineers. Which meant another delay. I believe there was also a change in the layout? (another track/trail?) or at least it was being considered.

3. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    The last meeting I went to keyed on three topics
    1. The permit process "should" be streamlined due to the Corp. of Engineers ownership - not as many environmental hurdles to clear
    2. The planning and any start of construction will only proceed with some serious donations
    3. The hope is that "local" bike shops would provide donation leadership by sponsoring segments and/or providing crews to maintain the trail system
    I'm not sure if Steve is on this site to comment. My guess is it will be a slow, and maybe steady, process so don't hold your breath

4. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    I was really excited for this because it was announced just before my son was born. I naively thought it would be ready by the time he could bike. He's 2.5 now and is flying down dirt hills on a push bike. Looks like he'll be ready for big bear before this park is ready for him o_O

5. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Once again I find myself shaking my head at all the "obstacles" in place. Two years ago they announced a plan, and not a grain of dirt has been moved. Yet places like Boulder, Truckee ... even San Francisco, FFS ... can plan, fund and build bike parks in that time. Sure, some of them, like Truckee, started small, but they've added and improved every year, And most of it is done by pretty small fundraising efforts. The population of Truckee is 17,000 people, and they've got a fantastic bike park with pump tracks, jump lines, drop zone, dual slalom and a straight rhythm track. Yet here in a county of 3,000,000 people, with probably one of the largest per-capita populations of MTBers, we have nothing, not even a pump track.

I get that these things take money. (They've received some "serious donations" - where'd that money go?) But what efforts have been put forth? If there's a plan in place and they're ready to build, why not start the fundraising efforts? We have a number of major cycling companies in OC ... are you telling me that none of them are interested in sponsoring something like this? The city of Lake Forest can get Vans to sponsor a skate park, but OC can't get Shimano or Oakley interested in putting their name on a bike park? No corporate donors? Then start the smaller fundraising efforts. How much does the Rwanda ride raise every year? Bike for Bender? Are you telling me people wouldn't turn out to a charity ride and raffle to raise money for a bike park?

It's kind of funny how people aren't lining up to give money when no one has asked, as near as I can tell. I guarantee some local bike shops would donate (although the larger corporate entities in the industry are more likely). I'd probably write a check if someone asked (as long as IMBA doesn't get a cut). And I'd definitely participate in a fundraiser if one were held (SHARE has said "some" of the proceeds from events such as the Poker Ride would go to the park, but I haven't seen any specifics).

Two years since county approval and tens of thousands of dollars spent, there should be no more "environmental hurdles." By the way, Valmont, perhaps the biggest and best city bike park in the world at four times the size of the proposed Craig Park site, took two years of construction and about $1.2 million to build. Nearly half of that came from local club fundraising efforts. OC Parks budget for FY 2017-2018 is about $120 million.

Sorry to rant, but it's unfathomable to me how tiny places like Fillmore, Kernville and Truckee can build bike parks, and Orange County can't. Good thing we have 123,000 baseball fields that cost much more to build than bike parks and go unused 90 percent of the time.

mtnbikej, herzalot, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    A bunch of tools were purchased for trail work. A bunch of bells were also purchased for the bike bell program in LCWP, Aliso and Whiting.
    After you showed up for that board meeting I've made an effort to keep the website up to date with monthly agendas and board reports. I found this in the March minutes

The grant for REI to SHARE for the bike park is restricted funds. In other words its for the bike park. I'm under the impression said funds won't be released until its 100% go on the park.

pwe312, OTHRider, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?