Convertible helmets

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by mike, Nov 29, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Red 5, checking in.

Mikie, mike and Cornholio like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mikie, Cornholio and herzalot like this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Older one, which looked kinda like the Met in the post above yours. You couldn't pay me to wear one of those things. I'm sure some of the new ones are more solid, but if I want to protect my face I'm going to protect it properly.

Mikie, mike and sir crashalot like this.
  4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Night and day difference, they do a lot of testing these days that I doubt they did on the old (notoriously dangerous) switchblades that gave convertibles a bad name.

This is the older 2R as well:

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Think there’s still life left on my tld full face if it’s just been stored in a cool closet for 95% of it’s 6 year life? I know they say to replace every 5 years or so if no major crash because foam breaks down and tiny knocks add up, but I’ve barely used it, think I’ve worn it one day in the last 3 1/2 years

Mikie and mike like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes. It's probably fine. If it had been stored in heat or a corrosive environment, I would be mildly concerned. If it has mold, I would toss it.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    One of the motorcycle magazines did a very in depth look at helmets, including how age impacts them.

Basically, age had almost no impact on performance. New technology came along, which was reason to replace. And wear and tear were good reasons to replace. But age alone was not a factor.

I wear out all my helmets before 5 years. Except my supermoto helmet, since I don't race motorcycles much anymore.

Mikie, sir crashalot and herzalot like this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ff has no mold or dents, still in great shape. My regular lid is probably still safe, but since all the inner pads are totally worn out and it has a few small dings I’m replacing. I also ordered a giro chronicle mips to compare to switchblade, I have a feeling I’m gonna keep that and return the sb, and just wear my old one piece ff when needed.

Mikie, Sidewalk and herzalot like this.
  9. YzMxer99

YzMxer99 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Knolly Warden
    In less then 9 months of use, my Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro Helmet has failed at the chinbar attachment points. I haven't crashed in the helmet, just put the chin bar on a few times.

With a new version coming that changes the anchor point, it disappoints me that Leatt seems to have acknowledged the issue through a redesign, but was not proactive nor accommodating around this defect with existing customers.

Needless to say, my faith in Leatt has diminished and I will not be getting a new helmet even under warranty coverage.

Helmet 2.jpg

Helmet 1.jpg

mike, herzalot, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  10. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    ^ Thanks for the heads up

11. YzMxer99

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Knolly Warden
    No worries. I've riden with a lot of you guys since the STR days and want to keep us all on the trails for as long as possible :)

12. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    So I'm look at maybe picking up a leatt dbx 3.0 enduro of possible a fox profame. ones a convertible and the fox is not but looks to have really good ventilation. Im look to get more protection than just a half shell and I already have a tld d3. I'm not one to be carrying two helmets on my ride and wanted to see if you guys had any opinions or comparisons between the two. Is the fox proframe going to be too hot on longer rides in the summer? Are the people that actually have a convertible helmet removing the chin bar while riding or just keeping it on or just using the helmet as a half shell helmet?
    This helmet will be used for rides like San Juan the m tail at box springs possibly areas like Aliso

mike, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  13. YzMxer99

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Knolly Warden
    After my experience with the DBX, I will never get another Leatt convertible (or any Leatt helmet) again. The chin bar was just plain dangerous and fell apart beyond what I posted above.

https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/leatt-dbx-3-0-enduro-v2-helmet-wasup-1049924.html

Go with anything else.

Fox helmets have never fit my head shape, so I picked up a Stage. It vents well, pretty dang light and will be my go-to for Aliso, Santa's Village, etc.

I was looking at other convertibles, but the weight of the Stage and Proframe along with certifications convinced me.

14. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I like the Stage as well but no one has the smaller size to try on yet might have to wait to try it on.

I get a pretty good deal on leatt and the newer chin bar clip dose have a rivet in it but I'm scared it's going to break like yours as well.

mike, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?