CO2 inflators

Discussion in 'Pumps' started by mike, Nov 17, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I took the queue from H20chick since I'm behind the curve. (Thx for the nudge, H2Oc.)

I loved those fat, light aluminum Big Air cans, but I couldn't find anything like them last I checked (6 mos ago). I just found them for a decent price at Competitive Cyc:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/innovations-big-air-co2-cartridge

So, air warriors, what is a good minimalist inflator valve? Bearing in mind that those huge cans never get used in one shot, so the inflator stays on the can for several rides. There has to be something better than my old, clunky 90 degree inflator.

What do you like? Thanks for info!

Mikie likes this.
  2. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    A quality hand pump. I am never in that big of a hurry that I need to save 5 minutes. Hand pumps never run out of air. Even when I used the Big Airs I still carried a hand pump.

Dean

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Totally down with carrying a pump. I never ride without one, and not some cigar-sized suggestion of one.

I like a backup source of air on board, and having the ability to blast some air can get ya out of tubeless jam. It worked for me when I accidentally brought a spare tube with a too-short stem and had to reset a bead. Admittedly I did not remove the valve core for using the pump, but no way I can deliver air via my pump like a Big Air can. I would have been walking without it, tho.

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My mtbs have small pumps attached under the water bottle cage. I also carry CO2 in case I need to reseat a tubeless set up tire.

I always laugh when I get out my CO2 and inflator and someone offers up a pump and says...

"Save that CO2 for when you really need it!" :D

You mean like right now when I'm going to use it? :roll:

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    <a class="postlink" href="http://genuineinnovations.itwgbx.com/products/inflators/mountain-pipe-hand-pumpco2-tire-inflator-co2-tire-inflator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://genuineinnovations.itwgbx.com/pr ... -inflator/</a>

Never leave on a big/medium ride without it. Its always in the pack, and the barrel unscrews to hold some zip ties, spare links, etc. Combo CO2 and pump.

Use this one for all road rides for the past three years: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-cfh-pressdrivecfh.php#.VGuNXb5OW1w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-cfh-p ... GuNXb5OW1w</a>
    The flexible hose and simple twist to control airflow makes it a no-brainer.

6. Neccros

Neccros Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Brian Froeber
    I carry both on my road bike because pumping to 110-120 psi sucks, so I use the CO2 to get close then I finish it off with the pump.

Mountain bike, pump all the way...

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for your take, guys.

Dan, that's cool gear. Lezyne rocks. What I don't like about that system is that you can't save leftover air like I can with my old Innovations valve.

For simple regulator valves, this looks like it might suit my needs to a tee:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl-ctrldrive.php#.VGvUlocl6Ho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl- ... GvUlocl6Ho</a>

But if you watch the vid, it's clear they don't want you to save leftover C02. I wonder why. That goes against my angle here – big can/multi use.

8. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Having a bike that came with tubeless tires, I was curious if tubeless folk here have actually used these to reset the bead while on the trail.

9. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Honestly, I quite carrying CO2 when I went tubeless. One flat in a couple years. I always carry the mini pump (which I would even if I had CO2). If you had to re-seat the bead on the trail, that means you burped it really bad, or you had a big hole that Stans wouldn't seal and put a patch or boot on the inside of the tire, in which case I would just recommend putting a tube in anyways. Maybe I'll get enlightened here, but can't say I'd trust a CO2 to get a bead to seat when way out on the trail.

10. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    That seems to be the consensus. I'll stick with my air stick & pick up a 27.5 tube. :|

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Conti sealant that I use says not to use CO2... That it doesn't play nice with the sealant chemicals. I haven't tested that, but I prefer to trust the German chemist who designed the stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    My favorite CO2 inflator is an aluminum unit that screws onto the cartridge. It's small, but you'd better hope you're wearing gloves if you're going to us it, because it gets COLD. I have a plastic one that it is a little bigger, but it doesn't freeze your fingers as readily. I carry the inflator and two CO2 cartridges in my seat bag. It gets used about once every year or two, often on someone else's bike. On short rides, this is my only inflating tool. If I waste the two cartridges, I'll be walking. On big rides where I need a Camelbak, I bring a real pump.

13. wheezy

wheezy Member

Name:
    Todd McTallguy
    Current Bike:
    2020 NORCO Range VLT C1
    CrankBrothers pumps FTW. I used to carry C02, but not in quite a few years. Was considering adding one to my pack lately, but still haven't. I hadn't ever heard of it playing bad with sealant chemicals. Why don't they have nitrogen cartridges yet?

EDIT: Well shut my mouth, they DO. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.morebeer.com/products/nitrogen-cartridge-18g-1.html?gclid=CJ7xy5m92sQCFRAwaQodjWsAgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.morebeer.com/products/nitrog ... aQodjWsAgg</a>

We fill our race car tires with nitrogen as it changes less with temperature than "air" - not real sure about C02 properties, but it's an interesting thought (to me anyway).

14. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Because a cartridge of liquid CO2 will give you a whole lotta gas volume at atmospheric pressure. Compressed N2 in the same cartridge might be able to blow up your beach ball.

15. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    How big a beach ball? ;)

16. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    A small one.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Is a "Small One" a technical term here...?

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    First I have to admit that I've never used these.

But if you don't carry a pump and patch kit, I'm at a loss to figure out how you can fix a flat after your CO2 cartridges are expended. But then, I don't run tubeless so maybe I'm just ignorant. :eek:

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have not used one since the 90's, back then I would expel more CO2 into the atmosphere then I would into my tire?
    I run tubeless and carry the traditional tube and pump as back up. That is, if I remember a tube. :lol:

20. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I had the little mini CO2 chuck in my pack for years. Never used it.
    I put it in my road bike saddle bag and finally got a flat during a long solo ride.
    I screwed on the tube and pffffft all the gas blew out the back side (near freezing my hand).
    The chuck's gasket had failed, and I had to call for a ride.
    Back to pumps for me.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?