Cedar Canyon Trail . . . Cannell's Evil Brothah!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Cedar Canyon Trail.

The evil step brother of Cannell Trail. Ever bit as technical, but to compare the two is apples to oranges. Cannell is awesome no doubt and between you and me my favorite. But if you want all of Cannell and much MUCH more than you need to experience Cedar Canyon. It's more of a conglomerate of trails, and since I was just along for the ride I really do not know what exactly each trail was that we hit.

Got a last minute text from rossage that there was a small ride group going up to do Cedar Canyon. My bike was a mess from Cannell Trail last week which sadly was the last time I was on it. I had to pull apart my Chris King Rear Hub to lube it as it was dirty and skipping (it turned out to be real easy!), and last minute I discovered that my rear derailleur cable was frayed in half right at the rear derailleur attachment point. Luckily I had a spare shifter cable and cut that in quickly.

On the road at 6:00am I headed for Kernville for the second Saturday in a row. All I knew was that I was meeting rossage, Kanga, and Mikie McGuire at the campground above McNally's at 8:30am on Saturday. Then it turned into "call us" when you hit Kernville. So I did, and then I text him, and sat on the side of the road in Kernville for about 20 minutes(I was early as usual). Then rossage rolls past, and so does Mikie McGuire. Hmm, a total of 4 bikes plus me?

We go to a restaurant and they get breakfast, I had already ate my Breakfast Burger with extra ketchup (the one that gives me my supah-human strength). It's there I met Burt, a young man from Ohio. Ohio, do they have mountains in Ohio?

We were in a hurry because we were meeting some guys at their house at 8:30. Not gonna make that! Not the way Mikie McGuire eats (38 chews per bite I hear :lol: ) Nothing wrong with being thorough! So we blast outa there and head over to some peoples house. That house turns out to be Dave and Allison Diller, and they are the ride leaders for the day (so it's not some dudes house).

What struck me as we were talking in the front yard was Allison offers to show us their back yard with the climbing wall . . . climbing wall? Nope not the kitchen or the house, it was then I realized what I was in for, for the rest of the day. Allison rode with us, or I should say I attempted to ride with Allison. Yeah, she pretty much kicked my azz the whole day.

Allison is the creator and owner of http://www.kernriversierra.com a full sport site of the greater Kernville Area. It has all types of sports on it. I encourage you to check it out. They also produce a Topo Map for the area that has all the goods on it! The map is well worth the purchase price!

So this is the ride report in Pics. It was awesome! N-joy!

http://app.strava.com/activities/219907450

Cedar_Cayon_Trail.jpg

Early Morning Cloud and Mist. Some how, I thought of the Empire Strikes Back!

IMG-20141115-02579.jpg

Half face shot of kanga, burt thinking, "Oh my, I have to ride "BACK" with rossage!" ...and Mikie McG looking like the Pope.

IMG-20141115-02582.jpg

Allison say, "Forget the house, check out our custom climbing wall!"

IMG-20141115-02584.jpg

Caravan-O-Vehicles as we head to the end point of our mega shuttle.

IMG-20141115-02588.jpg

Sherman Pass! Hmmm this place looks real familiar, like last weekend!

IMG-20141115-02589.jpg

Burt, Dave, Steve, and Ross. We are warmed up and ready to continue.

IMG-20141115-02590.jpg

Allison Dillard... The more I learned of her the more impressed I became! She totally rocks all disciplines of Mountain Biking.

IMG-20141115-02591.jpg

Me taking a picture of rossage taking a picture. We are clever like that...

IMG-20141115-02592.jpg

Dave, Allison, and Mikie McG.

IMG-20141115-02593.jpg

Have no idea where we are at . . . but we are going THAT WAY.

IMG-20141115-02594.jpg

IMG-20141115-02595.jpg

IMG-20141115-02596.jpg

I never realized the seemingly endless trail options in the Kernville area. This is a Mountain Bike Wilderness Mecca!

IMG-20141115-02597.jpg

There were a lot of these but this one we did not cross as this would have taken us back the way we came (to the Sherman Pass).

IMG-20141115-02598.jpg

Though not complete, this is how I looked from the crossings. Dave Dillard for some reason . . . was spotless

IMG-20141115-02600.jpg

burt! The madman! Under gunned and over delivered. This guy can ride and NOT afraid of taking risks!

IMG-20141115-02601.jpg

rossage and Dave discussing the upcoming trail action.

IMG-20141115-02602.jpg

There is some climbing, not significant but it's more in the middle on this route.

IMG-20141115-02603.jpg

The (i)MTB Shadowman...

IMG-20141115-02604.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. C.O.R.B.A. himself Steve Messer. I have such a deep respect for this guy and what he does for our sport!

IMG-20141115-02605.jpg

Dave and Allison have mystical powers to keep all the clouds away. It's like they hugged the surrounding mountains and stayed at bay...

IMG-20141115-02606.jpg

The views we just . . . "okay".

IMG-20141115-02607.jpg

Lots of whooping and high fives. how could you not when you know you are riding a wilderness epic!

IMG-20141115-02609.jpg

Allison developed a little rear shifting trouble. Dave fixed it on the fly.

IMG-20141115-02610.jpg

Burt probably enjoying a little less chunk required suspension.

IMG-20141115-02612.jpg

Ross hoping for some more chunk!

IMG-20141115-02616.jpg

Kicking it waiting for our video man (i)mtbshadowman, who was gathering footage, we were ready to switch trails.

IMG-20141115-02617.jpg

(i)MTBShadowman

IMG-20141115-02618.jpg

Allison produces and sells THE MOST amazing Mountain Bike Trail Maps. If you ride this area, you have to have one. Get you some of that!

IMG-20141115-02619.jpg

Like I said, the views are almost surreal awesome!!!!

IMG-20141115-02620.jpg

The mighty Burt.

IMG-20141115-02622.jpg

Now for some fun swoopy flowy...

IMG-20141115-02623.jpg

Burt-ster...

IMG-20141115-02624.jpg

Fall colors make it even more Epic!

IMG-20141115-02625.jpg

Mikie McG!

IMG-20141115-02626.jpg

Kanga

IMG-20141115-02627.jpg

Ready to jump on the Kern River Trail. NOT for the faint of heart!

IMG-20141115-02628.jpg

This is by far the narrowest, slippery, loose shale, slag infested trail I have ever done. Penalty for failure is very high as for the most part it's at least a 50 foot drop off a shear edge. Perfect!

IMG-20141115-02630.jpg

The mining cave I did not realize was a lot longer than I thought. naturally, rossage the geologist could not resist.

IMG-20141115-02631.jpg

I stayed on, and stayed totally focused on Dave Dillards rear wheel as we traversed the Kern River Trail. Reminds me of the Pink Floyd song, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." "One slip, and down the hole we fall"...

IMG-20141115-02634.jpg

This is the trail...o_O

IMG-20141115-02635.jpg

This is the trail that rossage missed cuz he simply did not know it, that Allison DID know about...

IMG-20141115-02636.jpg

This is the trail that Allison is going to clean, cuz she kills it...

IMG-20141115-02637.jpg

...and kills it.

IMG-20141115-02638.jpg

This is the trail that Steve Messer does not know but quickly figured out by the tracks...

IMG-20141115-02639.jpg

...and cleans it.

IMG-20141115-02640.jpg

...continues to clean it.

IMG-20141115-02641.jpg

IMG-20141115-02642.jpg

IMG-20141115-02643.jpg

IMG-20141115-02644.jpg

Actually on the Kern River now. This is a hit and miss section for me. My "Trials" skills are not up to par for this type of terrain...

IMG-20141115-02645.jpg

...but the views are totally worth it!

IMG-20141115-02647.jpg

IMG-20141115-02648.jpg

A lot of hike-a-bike

IMG-20141115-02649.jpg

Burt is a great all around rider.

IMG-20141115-02650.jpg

IMG-20141115-02651.jpg

Lucky to whip out the camera just in time to capture this. Yeah, you ride underneath. Cool...

IMG-20141115-02652.jpg

...and the light shone down upon them. Saw rossage, and still thought it was good! rossage is an awesome dood, and good friend!

IMG-20141115-02653.jpg

Campsite along the river.

IMG-20141115-02654.jpg

IMG-20141115-02655.jpg

IMG-20141115-02659.jpg

Where is that confounded bridge? Has anyone seen the bridge?!?! No one cleaned the climb up the yellow stairs up to the bridge I know of. :sneaky:

IMG-20141115-02661.jpg

Looking back on the trail, you can't see the rest of our troop finishing up yet.

IMG-20141115-02663.jpg

Hey! There they are!

IMG-20141115-02665.jpg

Done for the day. Shooting the breeze. Recapturing the awesome moments. Another Epic under our belt.

IMG-20141115-02666.jpg

I drove us back up to the top of Sherman Pass to get the transport vehicles. They liked the Turbo powered Mini Cooper i call the "Time Machine"

IMG-20141115-02667.jpg

IMG-20141115-02668.jpg

What I'm amazed at, is how many incredible people are out there doing what we dream to do. Those that go above and beyond to live life the way they want to live it. It's inspiring to meet people like Dave and Allison who run basically their own business and make Climbing, Kayaking, Hiking, and Mountain Biking their full time adventure. I hope it inspires you to get out and do the exceptional.

What a great day of people and riding mountain Bikes...

Bike on!

This was a pic that Steve took of the Kern River Trail. Steve totally goes out of his way to capture unique angle pics. Thanks for taking the time to capture this one of me!
    mikie_kern_river_trail.jpg

2. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I literally tried to hit the thanks button twice!

Mikie likes this.
  3. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yah, so I've said it before, and I'll say it again, BITCHES! Makes me sick! :D :thumbup:

Mikie likes this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Maybe we could set up our own shuttle and do this again.

Mikie likes this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Thanks!
    These RR's are great ways to see what's out there. Much appreciated sir!

Mikie likes this.
  6. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Epik ride! Epik day! With an awesome crew to my upcoming MTBSHADOWMAN video proof a very special event. Thanks for the great Ride Report

uploadfromtaptalk1416183182209.jpeg

Mikie likes this.
  7. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Just mind blowing!!! - All of it ... !!!!!!!

Mikie likes this.
  8. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    WOW!
    These ride reports are awesome. The great pictures make me feel like I was there (or at least wish I was).
    Since the Thanks button only works once ... Thanks , thanks, thanks ...

Mikie likes this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    And Thanks back at you BeckTrex! Thank you for nailing the whole plan of imtbtrails ride reports. Facts tell, stories sell, but nothing sells better than pictures.
    Glad you are enjoying them my brothah!

Mikie

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Man! That is an Epic Pic! Thanks Mikie McGuire!

11. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    I think I know what you mean.

Mikie likes this.
  12. burt

burt Well-Known Member

Name:
    burt
    Pfffhh, more like fine Sierra dirt tasting gear.

Mikie likes this.
  13. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    50f3c7badc610c93bc0394298cb56ee6.jpg

High altitude meadows are always nice

df7da274ac1296bf8c98f3842991fe1b.jpg

Mr. Imtb

58f9d8a3b36c1578b5ce77298c098d61.jpg

Steve

8d82707fba7406abb808d49807ca0e8d.jpg

Burt. How those brakes work after the stream crossings?

Mikie likes this.
  14. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    7b6d300ab9bfd8336ebd5e5ab5d01092.jpg

What a day....

Mikie likes this.
  15. dstepper

dstepper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Excellent!

Dean

Mikie likes this.
  16. rojomas

rojomas Well-Known Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Awesome ride report I wish I could make a living up there.
    I'm sorry if I miss it but how many miles was that and what was the elevation gain/loss?

Mikie likes this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    We only rode 22.1mi but it felt like 50 miles! Our Ride Time was 3:25:31 although we were out there 5:22:24, and our Elevation Gain was 2,014ft . . .

rojomas likes this.
  18. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    How much HAB Mikie?

Mikie likes this.
  19. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah and the drop was 7200ft.!!!! :eek: Almost all of it CHUNKY.
    Started off rolling downhill over boulders, landing on icy singletrack, and then repeat. That was the warm-up!
    It had everything a mountain bike ride should have...and more...Cedar Cyn is the Complete MTB ride.

Hey HillBIlly! There were some short steep HABs on Rincon trail section and numerous bike carries on the River trail. That section is extremely rocky, technical, and exposed in places. The views make it worthwhile.

rojomas and Mikie like this.
  20. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    I've ridden much of that (the legal parts) on moto and Rincon on moto (dicey). Can't wait until you all go back and I can join!

Mikie likes this.
  21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Like rossage stated there were some short steeps, but in all honesty the last 3 miles of Kern River Trail is a "carry your bike across the rocks hike with a few places to ride in between. You really have to have the state of mind that the scenery is great cuz your not really gonna ride much of it.
    Everything else was pretty much ride able if you had the energy . . . .or the guts! :?

rojomas likes this.
  22. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    I have come to the conclusion that I really missed a good beating, the good ones always feel like 50 miles because of the complete attention to detail, seems there was no blood on this ride :clap:, nice job guys and gals! Kind of glad I wasn't invited ("only the LUCKY ONES get to steal the show"):?: cause I'm getting the interior of my house painted and there is just to much going on here! Just because it sounds like I'm bitterly jealous, or feel as though I've been kicked to the curb,how bout left in the cold,or left for dead, just left, doesn't mean I am :cool: .

Mikie likes this.
  23. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The 3 L's conspired to keep this group limited in number:

Last minute- you ready?-lets go!
    Late season- iffy weather and trail conditions
    Logistics-self shuttling gets harder with more riders.

I am also well known for my distaste of large riding groups. I prefer 6-8 max riders max.
    Self-sufficient, faster moving, less chance for mechanicals or personal breakdowns.

Mikie likes this.
  24. CarlS

CarlS Well-Known Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    WOW. great RR. that just looks epic.

I think I did a little hike up this trail from the bridge to do a little fishing years back. if this is the trail that I'm thinking of, I can't imagine dragging my mountain bike along. I had a hard enough time hiking it with a fishing pole! :shock:

Mikie likes this.
  25. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    And for you lucky ones on the ride, to clarify my post, I was JUST KIDDING! Except on the jealousy part :mrgreen: ! I know you guys well enough to know the lagistics of putting together a group ride, but somebodys going to have show me the goods later, or I will really will be more than just jealous. Peace,Love,and Happyness :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  26. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Definitely!!! Remember the Palm canyon epic with the 14 of us last yr., and the guy with a cross bike (8 flats!?!?!?!) . It's PCE time of year !!!

Mikie likes this.
  27. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    This is what you guys were doing while Chris and I were on the other side of the river doing trail work. I was wondering why Dave wasn't with us. This explains it.

I was on last week's cedar canyon ride. I prefer the other exit option of staying on the Rincon to Brush creek. That last climb is a bitch but you get to end with a good downhill section.

Dave and Allison are quite a pair and I have been lucky enough to be on many adventures with them. I know you think Allison is a great rider but she is better than you think. I love it when we are riding at mammoth and she pulls off her full face helmet after we just rolled up on another group. That is when they realize the rider who just schooled them is a girl.

rojomas and Mikie like this.
  28. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer T275c
    Wow! another epic ride followed by one of Mikie's incredible RR's. And the photos as usual tell such a story, yet I'm amazed that these photos are taken with a camera phone. You are a wizard with that phone. Any chance one of you guys dropped something on the trail? We can go back and get it, I'll help you look.

Mikie likes this.
  29. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    WOW! GEE ! OMG!No Way! you got to be kidding! Really!,Seriously! holy Cow! I ( Robin) Mikie Mcguire's other half watched some of his MTBshadowman's Gopro footage last nite and all I can say is "You guys are Amazing! Insane Riders! and if I went, I would still be out there Just saying :eek:
    It looks awesome! The views and ect! OH Baby , Rossage
    Mr. Watson once again we have to say your RR's are the Best! Ever. Thank You! Robin= hugs,, and Mikie :cool: P.S. and I had to get mikie up at 6am the next morning for the MWBA Pancake Breakfest Trail work fund raiser event , no wonder he was just a little tired :p Plus trying to keep up with filming Kanga (Steve) on the trail & keeping the head cam steady!
    cfe5d96e69d921a2c5a4516b6c2aa96e.jpg mikie at the MWBA fund raiser the next day :) please don't let him know I posted this photo ;)Thank you
    He is so glad he went

Mikie likes this.
  30. mpmffitz

mpmffitz New Member

Name:
    Mike Fitzgerald
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 5
    Ol STR Epic

Mikie likes this.