Brake pads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan S, Apr 21, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Dan S

Dan S Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly 5
    All,

I've been going through brake pads at an alarming rate. Something like new sets of pads (front and rear) every 3 weeks. I have relatively new shimano deore hydraulic brakes, big rotors (I think 8 inches/200mm?), and I'm using the "resin" pads. I'm heavy - I'd guess around 250lbs. I've been riding average 3 times per week in the San Gabriels and Verdugos, a lot of it steep single-track (middle merrill, sunset, strawberry peak, mt zion, etc.).

I'm just kind of surprised how quickly the pads wear out. I'm sure my braking technique needs work - I do find myself cruising downhill with the brakes on. But at my weight and with the amount of gravity you guys have out here, if I let go for even a few seconds, I get to warp speed in no time.

How uncommon is this? Anyone else in a similar situation switch to using the metallic pads? Other advice?

Thanks,

Dan

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Shimano Resin Pads wear like chalk.....so yes they do wear quick.

Some of it may be your weight and braking style.

At 190 lbs on my singlespeed I wear them out in about 5 weeks.

Metallic pads will last longer, but don't have as nice of a feel.

Faust29 likes this.
  3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    try kool-stop pads. IMO last longer than shimano.

4. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    lots of opinions on mtbr but one poster who supposedly has data (that he produced) claims that getting off the brakes
    for even a short time, 1 or more secs, can help dissipate heat significantly w/ the IceTech system. Perhaps occasionally
    alternate between front/rear brakes when possible to do so?

FWIW, my Shimano resin pads lasted ~ 18 months (IceTech rotors/pads). Just replaced them last week.

Edit: I didn't ride the bike for nearly 6 months so it's really about 12 months of frequent use. not 18.

Faust29, HBkites and Mikie like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    +1 on the Kool Stop pads, I am 240 geared up and have been using them for a few years know.

Faust29, HBkites and Mikie like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Some pads wear quicker than others, that's for sure.
    A lot also depends on technique.

Chapter 4

2016-04-21 16.57.21.jpg

herzalot, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  7. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    You're riding a lot of vert, and you're a big guy. Guys like us are gonna use up pads pretty quickly. If you think the stock pads wear quickly, definitely don't be tempted by cheap pads sold online. Those IME wear SUPER fast and make them less than a bargain in the end. I have XT and Deore hydros, and while I think they are a fine brake, if I were going to buy some new brakes, I would likely go with either the Zee or Saint brakes due to the larger pad size and four piston design.

Faust29, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Ride it, don't slide it, and switch to metallic. I use metallic Ice Tech pads with the Shimano Deore's and they easily last 6 to 8 months on the fun OC downhill singletracks. I am about 190 geared up. If I were burning through pads every three weeks I'd be looking for the cheapest Chinese pads I could find. I thought 6 months was poor pad life until I read this thread, LOL.

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm 195 before geared up. I must not be riding enough! Ha ha!
    Ice Tech Resin Pads have done very well for me. Your riding some sweet steep stuff. I bomb a lot of steep trails as well and tend to be heavy on breaking.
    I have a disconnect in my head about trying brake pads from other manufacturers... My only guess on that is that Shimano makes the best and safest mtb products on the planet. They have been doing it a long time. I trust my life to their products. They never distribute products lighter or faster than safety will allow. IMHO.

If you stick with Ice Tech and go with Metal, they tend to have less modulation and eat up rotors faster, but they do last longer.
    I look back on my post prior to hitting "reply" and realize I didn't really tell you anything you probably don't already know...:oops:

Faust29 and rossage like this.
  10. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    just curious, given different replacement intervals, how do you all know when it is time to replace? ...what's your definition of worn out?

Faust29, MrGreedom and Mikie like this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I've heard that the width of a dime is a good indicator of when to replace, never put one up to a pad though to see what that looks like. I just eyeball it and can just tell when they are getting low. I probably replace mine before they absolutely need to be but I can spare the extra change for the parts that stop my 200lb butt.

12. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Worn out when the brake light comes on or you hear the wear sensors. I've never seen or heard that, so must not be worn out. Strangely, my brakes do grind a lot...;)

erjzacher, herzalot, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  13. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I dime 'em out.

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Shimano XT M8000 with resin pads. I weigh 230 with pack and am a pretty late/heavy braker. They last me 3 months on average. I check for wear when I'm lubing my chain. I bring mine as close to the backing as possible. Haven't messed up a rotor yet.

15. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Dan S, what kind of mileage do you average per week?

Mikie likes this.
  16. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Release the ebrake. :D

I use the resin pads on both bikes. One bike I only use for shuttle/lift rides...and they last quite a while. Everyone is going to have different results when it comes to wear. I was at Pinos earlier this year and one of the guys wore out a set of pads in one day. So the only way to find out is to try different types/brands. Kool Stop has a cool funky looking pads with fins. Trucker Co also has some new finned pads out. They have three different types of pad materials.

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    In regards to the replacement time reflecting on Shimano Ice Tech. I let them wear pretty thin, the expansion spring prevents you from taking them all the way to the backing plate. I check them often so I can do that. I always figured twice the thickness (or there about) of the brake spring, So I just removed my pads today and checked them as I knew they were getting ready to change out. I looked and roughly they are twice as thick as the spring. Went in the house and got a dime and low and behold, that theory about nails it for me. Good call!

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0075.JPG

18. Dan S

Dan S Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly 5
    I think about 50-60 miles. That's mostly up in the hills, but I'm starting to ride more to and from the mountains home.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Dan

Mikie likes this.
  19. Dan S

Dan S Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly 5
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but recently I'm realising the pads are worn out BC of the sound. It goes from quiet to metal on metal scraping noises. It's awful. When I finally look at them, the pads are completely gone.

The problem is that they wear much quicker than I expect, so it's been catching me off guard. I need to adjust my expectations. And carry spare pads when I ride...

Faust29, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    when you buy new pads, get a few sets if available and keep them with you in your camelbak.

Mikie likes this.
  21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Check your rotors too. If they are worn and rough it will eat up your pads. I recommend going with he Ice Tec rotors, your pad life will increase, but your rotor life will decrease. I used to use standard rotors with the XTR trail brakes, but they just didn't work that will. Ice Tech for the Win.....

On another note, dimes and coins still exists? :whistling::cool:

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I've been using TRP rotors for the last year and I'm getting more than twice the life over the Ice-Techs.
    TRP14-TRP-160-13-2.jpg

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Are those a laminate rotor like the Ice Tech?

Danmtchl likes this.
  24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Mikie likes this.
  25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I don't think so. They are a stainless rotor with an aluminum spider. Another plus is they give a more progressive feel to the Shimano brakes.

Mikie likes this.
  26. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Do you bed in the pads before you ride? I used to race auto-x with organic compound pads. If you don't bed them in first you end up changing out the pads every race. Taking a wire wheel to the surface of the rotors helps the bedding process.

"When bedding in pads and rotors you are not simply bring geometrically mated they are also being chemically mated as some of the pad material transfers into the rotor and some of the rotors metal transfers into the pad. During optimal braking the materials transfer back and forth. During certain braking the materials do not transfer properly and this leads to wear, noise and dust."

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?