Bikepacking and endurance events

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by evdog, Apr 27, 2016.

1. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I'm not gonna call them races, though many people do race them. Most of us just try to survive...

Anyone follow them, or have interest in doing them? Just talking about the unsupported / free events, not organized/paid rides like Visionquest or 12 hour ride-in-circles type stuff.

The AZT300/750 is just wrapping up.

There are a bunch of other bikepacking events within reach of Socal, and the Arizona Endurance series is a collection of single day events. https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/

Multi-day bikepacking events:
    Stagecoach 400
    Tour de Los Padres
    AZT300/750
    Dixie 200
    California Sierra Trail Race
    Colorado Trail Race
    Caldera 250/500
    Coconino 250

I've done a number of the AES rides as well as the Coconino and Dixie 200. Hoping to get a couple others in this year though work is conspiring against me right now. Anyone else?

2. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Soooo.... no one is interested in any of these? No need to race em, they are great for adventure at any pace.

If the stars align I will do the AZT750 and CTR this year. Minimum I will do AZT300 and a couple that can be squeezed into a long weekend.

3. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Not my bag, baby. Have fun and be safe out there. Hope you find a buddy to go with you.

Mikie, Sasquatch9billion and mike like this.
  4. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Power to you and whoever digs it, ev.

To me, being part of an event is antithesis of bikepacking/endurance adventure. Any mountain sport FTM. I like riding alone or with few. I don't race, and I don't care for racer mentality in general. Following rules – no thanks.

I'd love to ride every course route in the western US, with the camaraderie of a small number of partners or solo. That sounds heavenly...

Happy trails :thumbsup:

Oaken, BonsaiNut, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That was just frikking beautiful...

6. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks Herzalot, not looking for people to go with, just looking to see who is interested in them. There seems to be a larger following in AZ and CO, and less interest in Socal.

I think you have the wrong impression of these events Mike. Aside from a group starting at the same time they are individual events. The fast guys ride fast and people like me ride my own *slower* pace. I seldom see anyone else, others seem to leapfrog at various times depending when they stop to eat, rest etc. There is no racer attitude like you'd get at an xc race, everyone is cool and pretty like minded. The only real rule is to be self supported, and if you want your time recorded to follow the route provided. Ones like the CTR can get pretty competitive but as I said most people are out there just to challenge themselves. You can do an ITT (ride it yourself) anytime, I just find I push myself harder when I know others are out there doing the same. Try one like the Dixie 200 or Tour de los Padres, I bet you would love it!

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

I think if we had more of the big epic trail networks some of the other states have, we would have a bigger following.

Mikie likes this.
  8. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7

Anything harder the VQ is just too Hard!

.... I'll take a look, but knowing the kind of softy that I'm, multi day event are not for me.

Mikie likes this.
  9. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    These sound fun. More festival than race. The four Laguna guys that I ride with and I want to do a big "event" this year-- but the more we have discussed it, the more we will probably make the "event" ourselves.

10. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Ev, your ride reports are amazing. I enjoyed your North Rim Grand Canyon exploration, and a ride you did on ridge lines near Park City(?). Your recent trip to Colorado was super cool as well.

I'm more of a self-plan/solo or small group rider, but multi-day bike(packing) trips are a must-do for all of us. I've got lots of road bike tours under my belt, but have yet to do one on a mountain bike. If I do (and I hope it'll happen), it'll be because of your reports.

Mikie likes this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I would like to do more bikepacking, but as of now I use a borrowed On-One when I go up north. Probably would like to go Bikepacking rather than events. I plan on picking up a hartail near tax time.

Mikie likes this.
  12. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    @evdog, your passion is coming through loud and clear! :) Thanks for the info. And the inspiration, as always.

From henceforth I will be conducting IFTs* on my bikepacking rides :cool:

*Individual Fun Tallies

Mikie likes this.
  13. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks guys! Jim it is always great to hear people get stoked from my TRs, it definitely makes it worth the time to put them together!

Part of why I love the events is they are known routes I don't have to put a lot of work into, and you get to meet like minded riders. Otherwise I wouldn't care, I'm not a racer. Hopefully we will see more routes come on line. Of course you can ride them anytime as well. The best part about bikepacking is the opportunities are limitless from quickie overnighter after work, to trips as long as you can handle.

mike, Mikie, kioti and 2 others like this.
  14. noLungs

noLungs Well-Known Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    I have started to come around to wanting to do these kind of events but my level of fitness is not there yet. Enjoy this season @evdog

mike and Mikie like this.
  15. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks @noLungs. I've not ridden much the last year. Thankfully I have a good fitness base that can help get me through longer rides.

With bikepacking I've found that I pace myself better knowing that I might be out all day and into the night - slow and steady. Because of that I can throw down much bigger rides bikepacking than I can on regular day rides, and then get up and do it again the next day.

I wouldn't worry about fitness level and just go try a shorter route. Dixie 200, Tour de los padres, Coconino 250 are good events to start with. Or some other route you come up with yourself. Since you have camping gear and food with you, the beauty of bikepacking is you are self-reliant and can stop and sleep whenever you want to. There isn't pressure to finish that day like there is on a day ride. Though sometimes you really want to hit that restaurant or resupply before closing time!

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  16. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Active Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Evan, are you still considering the CTR this year? Or has work fouled up the plans once again? The time is getting near and I find myself running the gamut of emotions leading up to the start. I'm excited to ride the terrain and see new places, but freaking out a bit re: my fitness for the high elevation sections. Test run from Silverton to Durango coming in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that'll help sort some things out logistically and get my mental state where it needs to be.

17. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    @schillingsworth I definitely can't do CTR as I can't take time off like that over month end. And yeah, work may still foul all my plans regardless, though it isn't as bad as last year. But I do want to do the Colorado Trail for sure if I can pull the time off. If I can it will be an ITT though, likely September, and going Denver to Durango (happier ending, better town to finish in IMO).

My main apprehension regarding CTR is the weather. I'm not disciplined enough to get up in the cold at 0:damn early to avoid storms, nor am I fast enough to make it up and over some of the big passes before early afternoon storms. With CTR you are stuck with the route and have to take what mother nature throws at you. On our normal road trips we can re-locate to avoid weather, and the weather tends to be more stable in September when we go. I've had very good fortune up til this past fall's trip.

Elevation can be a problem too, as you mention. I got my a$$ kicked above Silverton last year with no acclimation - full day ride for 20miles. I wouldn't care about speed except for that afternoon storm thing. It has worked well for me in the past to spend as many weekends as possible as high up as possible prior to my trip. Weekends at Flag, Mt Lemmon, etc the weekends before CTR may help some. Otherwise you just have to suck it up and deal with it. This year, I would be concerned about the amount of snow that could still be hanging around late July. Have you got intel on trail conditions for your warmup ride? I'm sure parts are fine, but there is plenty of riding under trees where snow could be an issue. Hermosa tours or local shops should have info - Hermosa can also shuttle you to Molas pretty cheap if trails are riding.

Most likely for me I'll end up doing some shorter trips. Dixie 200 ITT, Caldera 250, sierras bikepack, St George, etc.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  18. CarlS

CarlS Well-Known Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I dunno about that Dixie 200. I have been told more than once that there is some SERIOUS remote HAB on it. I know someone said the SC 400 is easier because less HAB and you can just fuel up along the way at quick mart gas stations and the like.

I actually keep thinking of trying the SC 400. I have done several segments of it. I would guess the hardest parts are the deep desert sand and washborad. and then the climb back up to IDY. although I think they keep changing the route up a little. I keep asking myself it I could finish it in 4-5 days or not.

has anyone on here done the SC 400? I keep building up my carbon full rigid in the direction of giving it a go. I just put on 30mm rims with a 3.0 on the front for sand.

Mikie likes this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm interested in trying the SC400. Unfortunately I want to do all the things, and I have to compromise. SC400 will have to wait until after I back off my XC racing.

Mikie likes this.
  20. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    The Dixie 200 is off the table for the next couple years unfortunately due to a big fire around Brian Head. http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicIn...f4&extent=-112.9622,37.6208,-112.4297,37.9145

The route itself I think is a pretty easy one. There is one guaranteed HAB of about 900 feet up onto the Paunsaugaunt Plateau. It took maybe 30-40 mins. The HAB you may have heard about that was really brutal was a year when there were hundreds of downed trees that weren't cleared before the event. I had heard it took Eszter 20 hours to go 4 miles, and she was the only finisher that year. Since a lot of the trails are remote they aren't always cleared by late June. The year I did it they were pretty good, but the last day the final two trails were not clear - had I started a day later they would have been, as I ran into chainsaw crews on both just starting their days work. If the trails are mostly clear this is a great route. Very scenic and a good length to ride over 3 or 4 days. There is resupply opportunity too - a gas station at about 70 miles, a store/hotel/restaurant at around mile 120 and a restaurant/store around mile 150. Inconvenient hours are the main issue with those. Decent water availability on route. I'm not sure how long the route will be out of commission due to the fire, probably a couple years at least. I am pretty bummed. I was going to ride it over 4th of July, but the fire started about 10 days before that.

I haven't done Stagecoach but have done good sections of the route. I believe it is almost fully rideable. But that is partly because it's meant to be more of a shakedown ride for Tour Divide. Brendan removed some of the good singletrack sections because the dirt roadies complained they were too hard. :thumbsdown: I'd like to ride it at some point but generally if I have 5 days available I'm not gonna spend it in Socal riding mostly dirt road.

If you want a good route that is something different and mostly rideable check out the Tour de los Padres next March/April. It goes from Frazier Park to Santa Barbara including some pretty cool backcountry and a cruise through Carrizo Plain during wildflower season. It's set up to be done over three days for most people and the group depart usually has a shuttle arranged to the start line.

The Coconino 250 is another good one. There is some HAB on that one particularly up Mingus Mountain, but otherwise it is rideable. You can bypass Mingus on fire road if you don't want to HAB up the singletrack.

CarlS and Mikie like this.
  21. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Active Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Sidewalk and Mikie like this.
  22. CarlS

CarlS Well-Known Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    first I have heard of this route. wow, it looks really good. thanks. any other place to get info about it as far as what to expect? any blog write ups? edit> ahh just found the link to bikepacking.com forum discussion of 2017 nevermind

After reading a few of the blogs, the lack of solid water supply points seems to be the biggest challenge and would have me worried. But dang, those pictures. It looks just incredible.

http://tourdelospadres.weebly.com/blogs.html

23. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I think water is not much of an issue in springtime, especially in a decent snow year. I think there is one long section 60mi or so, but it is mostly flat-ish dirt road. There is a shorter version that cuts out the longer loop around Carrizo Plain, and also that long waterless section, if that is a concern.

CarlS likes this.