Bikepacking and Beer

Discussion in 'Health' started by Rob S., Dec 24, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    So you like to bikepack, and you like to drink beer, but lugging around all that brew is just silly. What can you do?

I do a bit of backpacking, and I enjoy some of the nicer things in life. Normally, I carry a Platypus full of wine that can be enjoyed around the campfire at night. [Platypus is highly recommended for you wine connoisseurs, but this post is about beer.] My primary hiking companion and I take it to extremes, where we'll carry in fresh food and prepare a near-gourmet dinner that is better than many people have at home. It's truly absurd to carry that extra weight, but there's nothing better than a delicious meal after a hard day on the trail (and the envious looks from minimalists spooning freeze-dried dog food from a foil envelope).

I do like my wine, but my beverage of choice is actually beer. But a few beers is really quite heavy, and is hard to justify the added weight in the pack. BUT NOW... my friend gave me a new toy for our recent trip. It's a contraption that uses dehydrated beer. It's WAY cool.

The thing is like a Nalgene bottle. You pour in a packet of beer concentrate and water. Then you add two packets that react and create carbon dioxide. Shake it up for a few minutes, and your brew is carbonated.

The resulting brew is NOT top shelf. Don't expect Green Flash or Ballast Point. But it's infinitely better than your typical Budmilloors. The pale ale is a bit odd, and has no floral components. The black IPA is pretty good. Considering that the alternative to this is NO BEER, then it is truly wonderful.

You can get the carbonator at Pat's Backcountry Beverages.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.patsbcb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.patsbcb.com</a>

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Very cool! At that rate it's no heavier than the lightest options for attitude adjustment. Thanks for the post and review. +1 on Platypus; I've used one for tequila or wine too many times to count.

Conditions somewhat dictate what booze I pack. The colder outside, the more distilled I like. Of course the advantage of distilled spirits is obvious. On the divide I had no issue loading up a sixer of cans and riding all day with it. Of course there usually was some attrition... I can see the beer packets adding a lot of fun on long rides with bleak resupply options. Of course someone will shoot these things Matt Lee EmergenC style...sign me up for that experiment :cool:

3. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Cool, I heard about Pats brew but never tried it.
    What I've done a bunch of times, both backpacking and bikepacking is...
    Pack citrus flavor powder Gatorade, good tequila and mix it with cool water (freshly filtered preferable) to make the best margaritas. Better served above 10 000 feet.

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Gatoritas! :cool:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?