Big Bear - Please comment - USFS scoping period for NEW blue trail

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by evdog, Jun 30, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Big Bear is seeking authorization for a new Blue trail, a pump track, pro/intermediate jump lines and skills area. The USFS has initiated a NEPA process to authorize these improvements, and a scoping period is now open to gather feedback on the project. This would be the initial stage of several in the process.

See link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=49669&exp=overview

The project description is in the scoping document. A link to send in comments is on the right hand side bar. Scoping period closes July 8. Please send in comments in support!

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As I said in the other thread - YES YES YES YES YES! Our strange little Snow Summit could be all growed up and MUCH MUCH safer for all with a green trail, a blue trail and some skill building areas.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh my - they did it - they really did it. Going Green is OPEN! That should take a lot of the timid and inexperienced riders off of Westridge.

http://www.snowsummit.com/summit-news

Now they need to build mild features on Going Green so the riders can practice a little bit of air, some wood and some rocks. Make it a little entertaining for kids and families. By a little bit of air, I'm talking a gentle two-foot tall table of maybe 10 feet in length - gentle transitions and utterly rollable. A few wooden drops of about 6" to 1'. Maybe some wide spaced, pump track rollers (like on Skyline).

The Forest Service has also re-opend Fall Line outside of the park boundaries and have labeled it a blue trail. This was a steep, dusty, rutted route filled with large loose rocks and log rollovers. It was pretty fun actually, but very difficult in parts. It will be interesting to see what the new version rides like. It is easily accessible from the chairlift and returning to the chairlift on the east side of the ski area.

Yay Snow Summit!

UPSed, Faust29, littlewave and 3 others like this.
  4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    My wife is totally down for that Green trail after watching the video.

Mikie, kioti and herzalot like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm guessing Mammoth Mountain's having a positive influence.. They always took care of beginner and intermediate skiers when I lived there, with lots of appropriate runs and excellent instruction. Maybe Summit's finally on it's way to becoming the well-rounded mtb park.

littlewave, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    According to Summit management, they have been stymied by USFS.

Mikie likes this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Even though it was in a different forest, I can't help but think MMSA's 60+ years of successful partnering with the USFS is having a beneficial effect on Snow Summit. But whatever the reason, I'm glad to see improvements in safety, variety, and run quality.

herzalot likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Noticed yesterday when we were up there, that they cleared out the field behind the old bike rental building next to the parking lot where everyone used to park in the trees.