Best tubeless sealant

Discussion in 'Sealant' started by Tom the Bomb, Apr 22, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Some one posted a video on a new sealant recently but I cannot find it. Best sealant out there?
    I use stans but it would be nice if something could seal a 1/4 inch cut.
    I liked Orange seal but it is really sticky and it did not seal a cut I got in the tread about 1/4 in.
    Thoughts?

Grassblade23, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Add glitter to your Stans sealant. Preferably pink or yellow to match your bright and perky personality.

3. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Tom the Bomb, scan, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah Tom, it's the Finish Line stuff... several people here are using it, and I'm eagerly awaiting their long-term reviews. Stan's works GREAT for me, it just evaporates too quick and seems like I'm always having to top the stuff off. And on the flip side, when I pulled the tire off my kid's bike it had 5 oz of in it, so I topped it off too much!!!

Tom the Bomb, scan, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I will give this one a try next time I need tires. I was having problems with Stans leaking — or more like sweating — out of the sidewalls of my most recent Maxxis tires ... two High Roller II's, an Ardent and a DHF.

The only thing I can attribute it to is that they must have changed their formula somewhere along the way, because prior to that I did not have the problem with another High Roller II, an Ardent, and an Ardent Race.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    truckerco cream is the best ive ever used.
    Unfortunate name!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Ex-Stan's, current Orange Seal user. I like the OS better than Stan's. Burped a low pressure tire on the Silver Moc and the OS sealed it up and beaded with just a pump. I rarely succeeded with Stan's.
    The owner of the shop where I work was so impressed with the salesman's pitch, that he ordered up some FinishLine for me to try. Nice!
    Except now I need a new set of tires too. If I'm going to test the sealant properly. :whistling:

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @Tom the Bomb - I've been using the new Finish Line for about a month. I haven't swapped over all the tires yet, but the rear Forekaster 2.35 on the Chameleon has 5 ounces in it. I can't say whether or not it seals cuts any better yet... @Danmtchl - Dan may have done some testing with punctures in the shop? What I can say is that it's a different consistency than the liquid sealants we've all used. I pulled the tire apart after it was in for a few days, and was surprised to find that the gray liquidy sealant had turned into a bright blue jelly inside the tire. It doesn't pool at the bottom like Stans or Orange Seal. Instead, it seems to coat the entire tire with jelly slime. If you wanted to transfer this stuff to another tire, it would be a chore... You'd have to squeegee the inside of the tire to get it all. That might lead to quicker seal times? Maybe?

One thing that is surprising, though, is the air retention. I have the same 2.35 Forekasters front and back on the Chameleon. The rear has the Finish Line, while the front still has Orange Seal. Normally, I check and put air in the tires every ride. They lose air... Fact of life. I last put air in the rear tire with the Finish Line two days before Vision Quest. We're going on 10 days now, and a few hundred miles, including Vision Quest. In that same time, I've put air in the front tire every ride. Coincidence? I'm leaning towards a better "total seal" inside the tire.

One month observations... Take with two grains of salt. :thumbsup:

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I still have Stans and have seen no reason to switch. My front tire almost never needs an air top-off - it's on a sealed rim.

The rear needs air every ride. It's not on a sealed rim, but taped.

Sealed rim > taped rim.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You might have something there, but most air loss is through the tire itself. The really cheap tires, with thinner rubber, will seep like swiss cheese. See: Conti X-King sidewalls in the dictionary. :D

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    IMHO no sealant is going to seal a 1/4" slash. It may seal it temporarily but as soon as the tire starts flexing it's going to let go. That being said I'm currently using Finish Line. If it does indeed last for the life of the tire or even 6 months it's still cheaper than any other sealant out there. I moved my Ikon to the rear after using the sealant for a couple of weeks. I didn't bother adding any more because aside from the sealant that coated the inside of the tire there was plenty left.

I was a big fan of TruckerCo and it worked really well until the last bottle I picked up. I kept it fresh and the first time I actually got a puncture it came out like watery milk and would not seal. Even a pinhole took about 5 minutes to seal. Hopefully it was just a bad batch but Finish Line had just became available so due to their claims and initial reviews I'm using that now.

12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Can you top off a tire with Finish Line if it already has had Stan's in it?

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I wouldn't. Two completely different formulas. I actually thoroughly cleaned the old sealant from the tires I changed over.

14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    just reserached the finish line stuff. Gonna try that next, looks like great stuff!

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Like Ed says, I'd get it as clean as possible. I'll probably take the front tire apart this week and clean the Orange Seal out of it. Thankfully that stuff is like superglue and comes off easy.

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks, that's what I presumed, but didn't know. Stan's is hella messy, I don't know if I could ever get the interior clean!

17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I mostly agree. But here's my empirical data since I went tubeless:

XTC Front: Sealed rim. Ardent 2.25, 2.4, 2.4. Occasionally have to add air.

XTC Rear: Taped rim. Ardent 2.25, Ikon 2.2, Ardent Race 2.35. Add air every ride. Although so far the Race is holding much better than the previous two.

Sutra LTD: Sealed rims front &rear. Kenda Slant Six 1.8. Add air every other month or so.

Small universe of tires but the variable seems to be the rim more than the tire. So so far I see no need to switch sealant - but I can see ponying up to get a new rear wheel on the XTC.

Speaks well of Maxxis and Kenda also

YMMV of course.

18. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Ah thanks guys . Yes it was the finish line product.

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Is this what you do? Does it really seal cuts well?

mtnbikej and Danmtchl like this.
  20. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    There were some videos out about doing this a year or so ago but it’s messy, like a unicorn farted out of your tire when you have an issue. Then you have gritty unicorn dust all over the place when changing tires etc.

21. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    It’s worked for me. But I put in less.

22. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    See also Maxxis Ramblers ....And I only have to top off the rear about every two weeks, the front is once a month. The do look like a bee sting away from exploding though.
    1.jpg

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I looked at those for the Sutra. Carbon bead stopped me.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My 2.35 Racing Ralph did that, but on the tread itself. By the time the tire wore out, it was one big wet spot.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Negative......the Crank Bros. Carbon wheels I used to ride had no rim penetrations except the valve stem....and the tires never made it more than a few days without needing to be aired up....and I ran the full array of manufacturers.

26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I guess I'm just lucky, then.

27. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Slime has some new pro bike sealant people who attended Sea Otter told me about. Sounded very good. I ordered a sample and will set up the next tires with it.

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We have the new Slime sealant in the shop and haven’t sold very muchof it yet. Stan’s still sell the most in our shop.

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Slime Pro has been around for a while. Maybe a new formula?

Danmtchl and rossage like this.
  30. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I just saw a ad/link on FB for free Slime. Got it real quick, like in a couple of days. I'll have to give it a try on my next tires in a little while. Though, my previous attempts to use Slime in tubes and their super heavy tubes didn't seem to stop goatheads.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?