Best Place to Live and Mountain Bike... Small and Large Town.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Jun 12, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    So many articles have been written on best places to ride mountain bikes. Unfortunately for most of us, we only get to visit those places. But if you had a choice or the option to live in the location. What location would it be?

Now to be fair, Los Angeles "could" be considered one of those places. To be able to climb and drop in the San Gabes is no doubt epic. So as a large metropolis L.A. works. So lets double down and say:

What small town would be your mountain Bike Mecca, and what would be your Metropolis location. So you get to pick two!

Looking forward to the answers!

2. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Sedona and Orange County, but Fruita is a close 2nd.

Danmtchl, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Here's a short list based on places I have visited.

1. St. George Utah
    2. Prescott Arizona
    3. Bend Oregon

Of course it would come down to cost of living among other things. Bend would be nice as I have a lot of family there but Jennifer is not too fond of the cold. Great post though as retirement is coming up quickly and I need a place to go!

H2oChick, Danmtchl, mike and 6 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Anywhere that isn't the FLoop.

jaime, herzalot, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  5. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I'll agree with @TwoWheel Eric on Orange County as the metropolis area. I don't have a pick for a mountain bike Mecca yet, but will be following this thread closely. The wife and I are working on our early retirement plan and it will include an exodus from Southern CA. One of my conditions is that wherever we go it has to be bike friendly.

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, mike and 7 others like this.
  6. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Love Flagstaff.

Oaken, M Chambon, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    4. Flagstaff Arizona
    Of course the same rules for Bend apply here. Very cold in the winter.

Now that I think of it Prescott might be the perfect choice. Flagstaff to the north and Sedona to the South. Both could be a day trip.

Grassblade23, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Los Angeles-year round riding, San Gabes and whole area surrounding, ease of international travel

Downieville / Graeagle. Go ride there and you'll know why...

10. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    1. bentonville, ar
    2. bellingham, wa
    3.fullerton, ca

MCB2K, Grassblade23, jaime and 9 others like this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I am surprised knowone said Santa Cruz yet, i know the cost of living is outrageous but there is alot of great riding up there.

12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I like your thinking there! Interesting how many options in AZ are coming up!

doublewide, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  13. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boise is supposed to have some great mountain biking. Heard Eagle is a sweet place to live. Then winter everywhere else while towing a toy hauling 5th wheel (filled with MTBs, quads, RZR) behind your big diesel truck! Bam!

Maddog, OTHRider, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have been trying to locate a place in between Flagstaff and Sedona. I mean, two mecca's of riding 90 minutes a part!

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Big:
    SW Denver metro – New trails being built which network into the CT etc, instead of land managers shutting and dumbing down trails like we have here; outdoor recreation culture actually exists; proximity to alpine thru high desert

Small:
    Salida CO – Same reasons plus small town charm, kayaking and snow sports
    Prescott AZ – Good elevation for less heat yet no heavy snow; proximity to local, state and regional goods
    _________ XX – The fewer people there the better :sneaky:

16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    A buddy of mine lives in Prescott. He says I would love it there. I may have to check it out this year.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cottonwood/Clarkdale/Camp Verde is pretty developed these days, maybe even Jerome by Mingus Mountain. Prescott Valley.

Danmtchl, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Small town (it's a toss up):
    *Kingman, AZ
    *San Luis Obispo (not so small anymore)

Concrete Jungle:
    *Los Angeles

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Cathy and I are checking out Prescott over 4th of July week (and other places)

Danmtchl, UPSed and Cyclotourist like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My buddy is actually a realtor there. Let me know if you would like me to put you in touch with him. He would be more than willing to show you and Cathy around. He is a fellow mountain biker as well.

21. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My brother just as moved their from Kernville. He seems to love it their so far. He bought a house for a reasonable price.

22. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Metro: Denver has a lot of trail mileage, and the rest of the outdoor sports culture is on point, but the local, after work trails seemed pretty tame compared to OC. You'd be heading into the hills every weekend though, so it wins.

Honorable mention to bentonville. A coworker just bought 5 acres on a ski lake, with beach frontage and flat bluff top that includes services at the curb, for $130,000. Oh, and the trail builders just keep digging.

Small town: crested butte. Durango close second. Bozeman/big sky is awesome but I don't like sharing the trails with grizzly bears.

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Let me start with this:

http://pvbikeworks.com/

Owner Marc is great, and the Yavapai wilderness has many trails to ride.

I lived in Prescott Valley for almost a year from 2007-2008 and saw John McCain speak across the street from Whiskey Row.

Beware "bar time" if the promotion is for dollar Irish car bombs between 11:45 and midnight!

Check out the Iron Springs Cafe for dinner.

24. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Where I'm at now and probably Vancouver somewhere.

25. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Both Sedona and Flagstaff are north of Prescott.

I used to thing that anywhere in Colorado would do for me but lately Oregon has moved up on my list, Bend.

26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This topic got me thinking where I would want to retire to, and I'm kinda' thinking I'd like to stay put. May I humbly put in a plug for my town, Redlands, CA. 70,000 population, so neither small nor large. What it has are fantastic schools, a full-service community hospital, and nearby Loma Linda Medical Center. A big tech employer (ESRI), and lots of retail and some light manufacturing. It has a pre-war, walk-able downtown with fantastic local restaurants. Victorian, Crafstman, and Mid-Century Modern architecture homestock. Three breweries and one distillery. The Redlands Bicycle Classic, Hangar 24 Airfest, multiple community events happening all the time, year round. Ontario airport is a half hour drive, and an hour of driving (mid-day) gets you to Big Bear, Newport Beach or downtown LA.

As for the more bike-related portion, we have two knowledgeable and deep-rooted bike shops. A bike community co-op. Miles of bike lanes, with green lanes, sharrows, and buffered lanes. Relatively flat central core for errands and bike commuting. Open space is managed by the bike-friendly Redlands Conservancy, with 26 miles of designated trails in city limits. More riding at Crafton Hills and Hulda Crooks within a five mile distance (easy to ride to, or drive over if that's how your roll). Beyond that, the vaunted SART in Angelus Oaks is a 30 minute drive, door to door. Sycamore Canyon in Riverside is 20 minutes. For racing, there is Rim Nordic in Running Springs, a 30 minute drive, Southridge in Fontana is 20, and Bonelli is 40. All this and near 365 days of ride-able weather. Some of them are hot, so you go early in the day. Some of them can be wet so you wear wool and mount fenders. But all are ride-able if you want without a whole lot of drama!

We don't have hundreds of miles of trails you can go on forever with like Bend or Prescott, but it is a great cycling community, with enough to keep you spinning, and plenty of things to do when you aren't.

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

Oops.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Spent my teenage years there. Ski Racing for Monarch. Whitewater kayaking the Arkansas River in summer. Sadly, MtB didn't exist then.

29. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Lake Tahoe and surrounding area!!!!!

30. M Chambon

M Chambon Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chambon
    Current Bike:
    Mugrienta

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?