Best Bike in the Universe...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Aug 13, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I hate Specialized - the company. I have my reasons and I won't elaborate. Their products, especially their bikes, are admittedly very, very good.

I just looked through this slide show of Jared Grave's and Curtis Keene's new bikes for the Whistler Enduro. They are the first 29ers that don't look like 29ers - 170mm forks, room for a water bottle (with SWAT storage), aggressive tires, big travel in back, long top tube, slack angles (but not too slack), low bottom bracket (but not too low). I can imagine this thing is incredibly fast and can monster truck through anything.
    SpeshyBeast.jpg

Now, I know that most of the prolific posters on IMTB couldn't care less about this kind of bike. I know most of you are into light climbing bikes, single speeds, backcountry rigs and gravel grinders, but this beast... well, is a beast!

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I heard about the new Enduro a few weeks ago. I am a fan and will definitely check it out. I'm also interested in the Stumpy 6Fattie.

Danmtchl and littlewave like this.
  3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Best bike?....maybe for what it was intended for.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Provocative title to get people to click. As I said in the post, I realize that most of the frequent posters on IMTB couldn't care less about long-travel, gravity-oriented bikes. @doublewide, @Tom the Bomb and perhaps @Cougar being a few exceptions.

doublewide, littlewave, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Uh....hello? :whistling:

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You ride a Stumpy - I assumed your riding style preferences were more middle of the road trail-bike - equal parts up and down.

Danmtchl, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  7. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I wonder how that thing climbs, and how agile it is laterally. I've been looking wistfully at my 29er wishing it wasn't such an entry level hardtail... and then I remember how much of a pig it is to turn :)

That bike looks solidly intriguing. (Not that I'm in the market for a new bike, nor will I be for a few years mind you)

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Only 170mm? My arms can do about 400mm. Legs a little less because that dang seatpost keeps sticking me in the ribs!

mike, Danmtchl, littlewave and 4 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    '07 SX Trail. 34lbs of fully coiled suspension. 29ers came out and my riding style changed. I find myself trying to ride my Stumpy like I rode my SX these days. Current technology will allow me to easily climb and descend whatever I want.IMG_37936702174176.jpeg FB_IMG_1437194539220.jpg FB_IMG_1437194477932.jpg

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My wife had a 2009 SX Trail with Fox 36 Float - awesome DH rig for her. Sold it when her Rheumatoid Arthritis made riding nearly impossible.

SX Drive Side.JPG

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Pardon me? Have you seen my 6"- travel round trip looper from 2002? It is a bike intended for riding on and over mountains, so it's best for riding and not so much for swimming or ice skating or shooting hoops.image.jpg
    The new Enduro should weigh less and climb better than any of my bikes and possibly better than half the rigs in this forum.

While it absolutely rips downhill, I would take it over anything in my garage to ride with, say, @mtnbikej, et al. I wouldn't be bored, but the bike might be wondering what's happening.

mike, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Best bike in the universe? The one I'm riding at that moment, of course.:thumbsup::cool:

LLPoolJ, jaime, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We don't discriminate. We invited you to ride Trabuco with us last week... One of the best single track downhills around. Your bike would have eaten it up! There was just a small (Tiny...) price of admission... :whistling:

14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Thanks for the shoutout!

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    They are nice to look at...I always wonder how they ride. Then again, I know what kind of trouble I can get into riding these beasts. I ride fast enough DH on the hardtail, that when I get on the DH bike....er, Tallboy...I feel unstoppable.

MCB2K, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Eh.... Looks like a popsicle
    They make good bikes but they will never get my money.

17. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    It's NOT the bike but the NUT behind the wheel...

I know a lot of riders on this site that make whatever bike they are riding the best bike in the cosmos :p

mike, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Luis and 4 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I love my bike but know it is out dated. There is a lot of good stuff coming out and I got my eyes on a couple of them...:sneaky:

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am just saying it's not your type of bike (nor @mtnbikej 's, although he used to roll big travel freeride bikes). I know that I am always welcome to join one of your sufferfests, and you can always count on a polite decline (or hell, even a rude decline) of the invitation from me. Trabuco DH is pretty fun (yes, I've done it), but my ratio of downhill fun to uphill torture has to be much higher. I hope to never descend another fireroad as long as I ride! What a waste of hard-won altitude. :confused:

21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Actually fire road descents can be quite fun and thrilling when you have 3, 4, 5, or more strong riders jostling for position and making passes at 25-35 mph. Sunset Ridge has >20 miles of potential.

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And calling Main Divide a "fire road" is pretty off track... There are sections that make RockIt in Aliso look like a nice paved path.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Soooo.....do riding these monster trucks/trophy trucks of bikes on the trails mute the trail?

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I hope so. I'm one of those oddballs that doesn't want to feel the bumps but wants to ride over them.

SaddlebackMX, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not my kind of thrilling... slippery, loose, flat corners while throwing elbows at 30 mph - a little too speedway.

I don't think anyone is going to convince me to abandon what I love to do to start doing what they love to do. I get no thrill from long climbs, and don't want to DH on fireroads. I don't see that changing. I've been on most parts of Main Divide. (from the top of Blackstar to Blue Jay). I don't think I'm missing out on anything by not making that a regular part of my riding. I am not interested in descending Harding, Black Star, ITT, Maple Springs or Skyline. If I am going to do Pain Divide, I will drop something a bit more spicy.

I respect the hell out of you guys for doing what you do, and perhaps I should broaden my tastes, but the way I see it, I only have a limited time on any given day, or for that matter, remaining in my life to ride bikes. I am going to spend that limited time doing what I like, if I can.

Anyway, I posted this thread because the evolution of the badass trailbike has come to this. Fascinating to me.

RS VR6, littlewave, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Makes sense. Ride faster. Try it drunk. Always ride safe.

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  27. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Like 29" wheels do, compared to 26"? I don't know really, no experience with it, but I'd guess some plush suspension and big wheels may help ease the stress on one's bulging, worn out spine discs, which would be a worthwhile investment if a person has such an issue, imo... as long as it's still fun, doesn't seem to matter (to me);)

littlewave, herzalot and jaime like this.
  28. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    My daily, well only driver, is an E29. I guess that makes me an infrequent poster...

StrandLeper, Cornholio, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Absolutely! If you want to get intimate with the trail and feel every bump and undulation, take off your suspension fork - and then, if you really wanna be one with the trail (or fireroad) take your tires off! :sneaky::sneaky:;)

DangerDirtyD likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?