Are Things Getting Out Of Hand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tortoise, Mar 21, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
  2. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Could you even stay on a bike riding up something steep enough to make use of this? Perhaps a 78 degree rake is in order?

Mikie, Danmtchl and tortoise like this.
  3. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    OneUp's 50-tooth cog might sound silly large, but you can easily manage your gearing by going with a larger chainring so that your easiest gear comes close to resembling what you had before, but the opposite end of the cassette becomes taller. So that's what I did. I went from a 30-tooth chainring to a 34-tooth oval ring, which meant that I instantly started using different cogs on the XT cassette than I would have otherwise. You can keep using the same chainring you had on pre-Shark Cog, but it makes far more sense to factor in the price of a new ring so as to adjust your drivetrain to the new, wider ratio.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/oneup-shark-50t-sprocket-kit-review.html

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    If it will lead to less woosies on E-Bikes I'm all for it!

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I had a 42 briefly, but found I hardly used it... I couldn't go that low, large front ring or not.

But, if someone wants it, more power to them!

Danmtchl, tortoise and Mikie like this.
  6. tortoise

Name:
    Tom
    So maybe I'm looking at this wrong... it allows you to run a larger front ring and keep your low gear about the same but give you more high end?

7. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Cool. I want to run 50/50 and paint my bike orange and white.

LLPoolJ, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    from a 2x perspective, I like the idea of having that 50t cassette so that no matter which chainring
    I use, the chain line won't be as "crossed" if I never use the two biggest cogs. But that isn't
    worth paying for a $300 cassette. Prob a silly idea... :)

I realize this is a 11sp, not 10sp but...

Mikie, Danmtchl and tortoise like this.
  9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I should have put quotations around that blurb, I lifted it directly from the pinkbike article, but, yes, apparently it can be used to do just that.

MCB2K, Mikie, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  10. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    And... Go back to a 26" wheel for that ultra-low gear effect :thumbsdown:

herzalot, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    So, the end result is roadie gears on a mountain bike? o_O

12. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Why not. I could use that ultra low stuff a couple times a month... climing Big Bend, Canyon Acres, Dreaded- sort of, Perolta Hills.

Mikie, Danimal, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  13. tortoise

Name:
    Tom
    F@ck all this!!! I'm going back to a SS
    32x42

Erik H, Faust29, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  14. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    By the numbers, 10-50 with a 30t chainring still doesn't have the range that a 22/36 2x10 with an 11-36 cassette does.

Assuming 29er wheels with 2.2" tires on all bikes for the sake of comparing apples to apples:

Bike 1: 22/36 crankset with (2x10) 11-36 cassette goes from 17.59 gear inches on the low end to 94.22 gear inches on the top end for a range difference of 536%

Second gear on this bike would be 19.79 gear inches.

Bike 2: 30t crankset with (1x11) a 10-42 cassette goes from 20.56 gear inches on the low end to 86.37 gear inches on the top end for a range difference of 420%

Second gear on this bike would be 23.99 gear inches.

Bike 3: 30t crankset with (1x11) a 10-50 cassette goes from 17.27 gear inches on the low end to 86.37 gear inches on the top end for a range difference of 500%

Second gear on this bike would be 20.56 gear inches.

I included the 2nd gear figures to illustrate the jump between gears on each setup.

While it would seem that an 11-50 cassette would produce a ridiculous range, it still does not give as much range as a common trail bike setup of a 22/36 with 1n 11-36 cassette (a range I personally find comes up just a tad short on the top end on my trail bike). A 1x setup would need to have a 10-53 cassette to get a-l-m-o-s-t as much range.

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    With E13 producing a 9-44 cassette and others making a 50t cog, it's only a matter of time until some-one puts them together producing a 9-50 cassette. That would give a 555% range, wider than most 2x systems.

Meanwhile Sram is also going bigger and wants to add another gear. 11 speed will be dead:gag:.

xo1 E.jpg

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Way too cool....you get five chainrings too???

Faust29, rossage, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  17. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Yeah…It makes me miss my BMX days when everyone used 44/16. I used 39/14 or so only because the cool red chainring I wanted was an orphan at the bike shop since no one wanted 39. (the ratio worked for me and gave better ground clearance)

The good old days…one gear. One brake and just hose off the bike after a muddy ride. Need a new tire? Go to Gemco! $4

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah! I haven't heard the word "Gemco" come out of someone other than me in over 20 years!

19. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    The idea is to run a larger chainring up front. You can go up 4 or 6 teeth from the 30T ring with a 50T out back.

Mikie and tortoise like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Facepalm.

Let's kill the front derailleur, then "innovate" until we get most of the range back. Did front derailleurs really cause that much trouble for people? Learn to make the stop adjustments and proper cable adjustments and they were pretty flawless. Oh, right the 1/2 pound difference was huge!

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Hugely huge. Now we can just press a button and it'll shift for us.

Mikie likes this.
  22. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    SRAM has had their share of underwhelming success in the front derailleur arena *cough*understatement of the year*cough*, so it would make sense to me that they would prefer that FD's didn't exist.

tick, herzalot, scottay and 1 other person like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I guess two things for a reality check for me...
    1. Industry has to keep this shiat coming to keep making money so I get that. Changing up the industry keeps things on the grow, but also embellishes proprietary product. I dislike that.
    2. My FD (as stated in an almost parallel thread) has worked flawlessly since conception on my bike (yes, my 2012 has the original FD and cable).
    3. I'm only interested as I would like to lighten my bike, my 3X10 has worked perfectly since day one, so this stuff does intrigue me.
    Okay that was 3 things...

24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Good question. Where will they stop? I have settled with my Shimano XT 1x11 11-42 with a 26t chain ring on my 29er. Never had a problem with a front derailleur but I do like the simplicity of not having one. With the 26t up front I have my original granny back. As far as top end goes I weigh 230. As soon as I point it down hill, off I go!

25. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Well, you might be able to, or want to, but I certainly wouldn't do that. I can live with my top end where it is on 29+ (I'd feel the same about 'normal' 29" wheels too) and 10-42 cassette with a front 30t, but I would finally get a granny gear back with a 10-50 cassette. Of course, YMMV, and probably does. It's good to have choices.

The other part of the equation for the 10-50 cassette is that the jumps between gears are up in the 16% and 17% range. That is quite a jump, and certainly wouldn't be ideal for racing IMHO when you may need to match the cadence (or at least be close) of other riders, or just find the right gearing combo to maximize your speed in certain situations.

The 12 speed Grego mentions could help with those large gearing jumps, but I'm still not sure I'm feeling this whole "front derailleur is dead" thing given what is being required to kill it off. A 2x system is not hard to keep adjusted, and you either have to make part of the cassette with aluminum or titanium cogs (that are expensive and wear quickly) or the weight savings of not having a FD and shifter are offset by the bulky cassette required to replace the bits at the front.

UPSed, Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Gravity always works a lot better on us not-so-petite guys!

Cyclotourist, UPSed, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'd still take petite...

UPSed and mtnbikej like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The lack of front derailluer has allowed frame makers flexibility in designs.

No longer do they have to keep the seat tube close enough to mount FD.

No longer do they have to keep the seat tube angle steep enough to make the FD work.

No longer do they have to be concerned with tire clearance in the granny gear.

I addition, sooo many people don't know how to shift a FD. You know who I am talking about. "My gears up front won't change when I am trying to climb up a hill. " teaching Newb's to ride is so much simpler with no FD.

Things got better when they went to 2x systems, but it was difficult to get the FD to not run the chain in certain gear combinations on 3x systems. Yeah, you probably shouldn't be in some of those combos, but it was still a PIA.

Personally, I look at gearing as a compromise. You are never gonna have the perfect gearing. 1x drivetrains will make you stronger....but so many people would rather take the easy way out. Maybe it was different years ago when we were all riding 32-35 lbs bikes that didn't pedal well.....1x systems were not ideal. However in the world of efficient climbing 26-28 lbs bikes, you should be able to adapt to 1x.

Personally we have 4 bikes in the garage.....none have FD's. Nor have they had them in several years.

My SS....self explanatory
    My Tallboy....ditched the FD before I went to 10 Spd. 32 X 12/36
    My wife's Niner EMD....we built it up as a 1x9 in 2011. 32 X 11/34 (this is how she wanted it built)
    My wife's Tallboy....we ditched the 2x about 2 years ago. 32 X 12/36

Don't miss them.

29. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Yeah... That dawned on me after I posted... my bad.

Mikie likes this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Not everybody has the time to ride 6 billion miles with elevation to the moon every year either, J-Zilla! :sneaky::)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?