Ardent

Discussion in 'Maxxis Tires' started by Runs with Scissors, Mar 15, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I considered that. I also know that as a warranty item it won't cost the LBS anything...except time. Time is money. I bought it at Roam Cyclery, a new-ish shop in Westminster, because I believe in spreading the wealth (and because they had it in stock). My bottom line is the tire is ride-able, it performed well today, the shop isn't actually close by, and I'm willing to let it slide. I'll use the tire until it's done, and then I'll get another one. :thumbsup:

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am seriously considering the Ardent as a replacement for my Spesh Purgatory tires when they wear out. Glad to hear that they are a good front tire but how about having it on the rear? I am not too much into the lower profile/small knob rear tires that so many of you use. I find that those spin out too easy on AZ terrain and I ride there enough for that to be important to me.

So, if you were gonna do the Ardent F/R, would you go 2.4 up front and 2.25 on the rear or 2.4 F/R or maybe even 2.25 F/R?

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The volume of the 2.4 is nice, especially when it get rocky. The difference in weight is minimal. I have run the 2.25 rear and it works fine here locally.

I can't compare it to Special'Ed tires, as I refuse to give them any of my money.

4. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    The Ikons weren't doing it for me on my hardtail 29er in the summer's brown powder-over-loose mixed with various sized rocks, so I put an Aggressor up front and an Ardent Race on back. Seems to be working well for me now. I like the Ardent Race as it's grippier than the Ikon. But it's not as much tire as the full blown Ardent, which I don't really need. Seems to roll very well, doesn't break loose on steeper climbing sections and holds confidently in the sharper switchback turns.

Runs with Scissors likes this.