Antelope Valley Wednesday Afternoon Rides

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Mikie, Apr 21, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey my fellow AV MTB'ers...

My goal is to bring my bike to work with me on Wednesdays to get a late afternoon ride in out in the Palmdale/Quartz Hill/ Leona Valley/Bouquet Canyon/Acton/Tapia areas each week. This is in effort to get back to hanging with the weekend animals. :)

I'm riding tomorrow (Tuesday) after work but trying to arrange a regular after work MTB spin out in that general area on Wednesday's.
    Please let me know if you are interested and we can post a weekly trailhead start point (and attempted accurate time ;) ).

Mikie

2. Where and when?

3. Willi-D

Willi-D Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Super Red!
    Mikie and all,

there are standing Monday and Wednesday group rides starting at 5:30 PM at Ave P-12 by Highland High School. It is a mixed group but pretty much intermediate skill/experience and a few advance skill riders. Usually 5-10 riders show up. Just a group of frinds and people who like to ride and hang out - Rick O'Donnel (the rides' founder) holds most of the strava downhill segment KOM's and Brach Smith (a regular participant) holds many uphill KOM's. I try to join these as often as I can.

The trails are a bit of everything. Lots of narrow twisty ST. Some fun and challenging DH's and lots of short hills to climb. I've been riding there for 20+ years and still enjoy! Also, it's possible to ride the mountains on the other side of Lake Elizabeth Rd with the longer days. Extended climbs with some fun DH ST as a reward.

So might be too late in the day for you mikie but if you can make it you'll enjoy. EI, you'd like this group.

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    To be announced each week.
    Tomorrow is now going to be in Bouquet Canyon near the summit at the Leona Divide Fire Road where we will climb up the fire road and then come down SOT. This will not be a pounder as everyone is working on getting their legs back. ;)
    Start time around 4:30/5:00 depending on our successful escape from prison...errr, I mean work... :cool:

5. Willi-D

Willi-D Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Super Red!
    so who's everyone - just curious?

I will never be able to make any of these rides since I get off work at 4:30 in mojave. Wish I could though.

Have fun!

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That sounds good Willi-D. I am bringing my bike tomorrow, but more than likely will hit up the 5:30 on Wednesday as well... :cool:

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This the very reason I have been trying to build in to imtbtrails a live chat IM system.... :lol:
    I can do the 5:30's on Wednesday's...

Right now I have been talking with Joe Mac. But I thought I would throw it out there to everyone else in the AV...but if there is something already going, all the better. Do they always leave from P-12? Could they post the weekly trailhead here on imtbtrails?

8. Willi-D

Willi-D Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Super Red!
    I was pretty sure you were talking about Joe - would be a blast to ride with you guys.

The Mon/Wed rides do have regroups so the fast riders ride fast and then meet the slower riders somewhere. Overall a fun ride with some fun racing and strava segment sniping!

I'll talk to Rick and see if he wants to post. Usually I just get a text from him confirming the ride place/time. And so far we've always started at the gate at P-12.