Aliso Tech Ride... Redux! Sat 3/26 8am/7:45 Hertz time adjusted...

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by shawndoh, Mar 21, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-26-16
  1. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Alrighty guys, lets try this again.

Come out and join us Sat March 26th, at Canyon Vistas Park, to ride Aliso Woods. Bike and gear, ready to roll at 8am.

This is the ride for all that are more interested in going down the hill! Route will likely include Lynx, 5 Oaks, Car Wreck.

http://www.meetup.com/Pure-Ride-Cycles-Lake-Forest/events/229776082/

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Can I like this 1000 more times?

And I acknowledge that it says "ready to roll" at 8am, not arriving at 8am. Too damn early, but it's your train, I'm just jumping on it!

PS: One of my favorite bass lines when I was learning bass.

Mikie likes this.
  3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    If I don't do Pioneertown, I'll likely do this.

Looks like I'm doing Pioneertown. I'm out!

Mikie likes this.
  4. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    IN!
    wife & kids are out of town starting this Thurs for almost 2 weeks!

shawndoh, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    oh Sh!t! i just read the prerequisites.... what if i dont ride at least twice a week?

herzalot, Mikie and Kreature like this.
  6. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Count me in!!! Thanks

Crap!!! Count me out, its Easter weekend and going to go see my new granddaughter :))

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Congrats!

pachaven, Mikie and Cougar like this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Just a head's up: LCF is scheduled to be working on drainage on Lynx this Saturday morning from 8am to noon. If you hurry, you might be able to ride it before they get started. They're also meeting at Canyon View Park, so it's just a short walk for them to the bottom of Lynx.

Mikie likes this.
  9. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Sounds like a good opportunity to see how the pro's ride Car Wreck. I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got off the bike at the rock drop.
    Walked down to the car and around the poison oak.
    But long ride already scheduled for the backside of the Rwanda course.
    Enjoy and be safe!

Faust29, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sorry, I'm hiking Aliso & Wood that morning with my MeetUp group of 85 people.

hill^billy, Faust29, Kreature and 5 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Make sure you use walking sticks and giant visors. I also recommend at least five portable sound systems to blast some tunes while you are enjoying your surroundings!

Cyclotourist, Kreature and mike like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Rock-it is longer and just as fun. We could go there instead. Lynx is one gigantic braking bump from top to bottom right now.

Cougar likes this.
  13. shawndoh

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I saw that, no problem. Plenty of other stuff in there to ride.

herzalot and kioti like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    T minus 13 hours. Are we go for launch?

shawndoh likes this.
  15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Still in. Hope someone else is as well! Not familiar with these trails.

shawndoh likes this.
  16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm doing Pioneertown tomorrow, so I won't be at Aliso. Have a blast guys, stay rubber side down.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  17. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Brekkie w wife on Sat morn. Have a blast!!!

herzalot likes this.
  18. shawndoh

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Here you go Hertz.
    Good ride today. Good work.

2016-03-26 13.28.43.png

Cougar and herzalot like this.
  19. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Nice route guys. A bit jealous. Although I did have a nice brekkie and long walk w wife and Maximus.

image.jpeg

Faust29 and pperrelle like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Looks like @Redman bailed out, but maybe because he did not receive positive confirmation on his post above. Sorry dude. We waited for about 10 mins. then pushed off.

We did have an interesting encounter before we started. A sprightly upper-middle-aged lady on a hybrid bike (like a gravel grinder, but with rim brakes and no suspension) rolled up and asked if this was the MeetUp for the Pure Ride group ride. :eek: Shawn, being a diplomatic kind of guy representing a bike shop, did his best and most polite way of saying "Are you f-ing kidding me?" He was genius. She got the hint that she might be a weeee bit out of her league. I gave her directions on how to ride Wood Canyon fireroad through the park, and warned her that parts of it were steep and may require her to walk.

From there we rode through the neighborhood (Cheater Cholla) to the top of Lynx before the army of LCF workers arrived. They were queing up in Canyon Vistas Park when we departed. A quick wake up run down Lynx, then it was a climb back out of the park to 5-Oaks. That's where Shawn had a nasty crash. He slid out without warning and crashed hard on his right side. Oh, and I forgot to mention, he was carrying his bike portaging up the concrete culvert at the time. Damn moss!

Nice drop down 5-Oaks, although we caught the group of 7 in front of us. As we exited 5-O and hit Wood Canyon, we got into a discussion of what to do next. After we decided we would end with Meadows, then it was a question of what else? So we decided to take Coyote Run to Mathis and climb the beast - twice. Once to do Car Wreck and again to get back to ToW for the Meadows run.

Shawn is a climbing beast. I crested the top of the first pitch, and he was cresting the second. I crested the second, and he was nowhere to be seen (there are five distinct pitches up Mathis). Down Car Wreck we went. Fun and uneventful (in a good way), although there were about 20 hikers on the trail. They were all out of the way but a little slackjawed at the sight of Shawn and me bombing down. I had a nice clean run, but dabbed twice after the wrecked car. Oh well.

Back up Mathis, only this time all the way to Top of the World. That was painful for me. But I made it. Shawn scampered up and waited for me at the top of Car Wreck, then he scampered away again.

Nice jaunt through the 'hood to our Meadows run. I led out and probably held up Shawn a bit. Fun run down the bermy, flowy Meadows. Then it was the slog back to the cars, including Coyote (but strategically avoiding Dripping Cave with malice aforethought).

You will notice that Shawn's data says 2795'. Well, for the record, I was parked three cars behind Shawn, so by the time I climbed ALL the WAY back to my car, I gained those extra 5 feet! 2800'! It sure feels like more than that when you do Mathis twice.

Last note. My Tracer DVO is supposed to be a limited edition. There were three others out there today. :mad: They noticed I wasn't running the DVO Jade on the back. One guy offered to buy mine so he could have a spare. I hope he's serious. I got his digits.

Thank you Shawn for putting up with my slowness and my stories that I told you last time we rode. Great ride, perfect weather. :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Bikes are fun!

BeckTrex, Grego, Voodoo Tom and 11 others like this.
  21. shawndoh

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Great write up.

herzalot likes this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This was the text of Shawn's meet-up post that prompted Hybrid-Lady to join us...

"This is the ride for all that are more interested in going down the hill! Route will likely include Lynx, 5 Oaks, Car Wreck.

– Advanced

You have been mountain biking for at least three years and are very comfortable handling most types of riding and obstacles: small drops (up to 1 foot), logs, rocks, switchbacksYou have good bike handling skills and can bunny hop, do small jumps, corner, climb and descend wellYou have considerable experience of riding on a wide variety of technical terrains including: rocky, rooty, muddy, loose, fast singletrackYou ride at least twice a week and rarely get off and walk sections..."

(Shrugging Shoulders Smiley)

23. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @herzalot you are correct. I didn't want to chance riding unfamiliar trails. 1. I've never started at the canyon vistas park and 2. I've barely ridden at Aliso like 4 times. Last time being about a year ago.

Sooooo... I chose my go to of Santiago Oaks. Good ride 18 miles and almost 3000' climbing.

One of these times I will meet up for a group ride.

shawndoh, jaime and herzalot like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Our group was two.

Sounds like you had a great ride. It's hard to get 3000' in Santiago Oaks without a lot of repetition, or perhaps trails I don't know about. Fun stuff, regardless.

shawndoh and jaime like this.
  25. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Throw in weir canyon loop it is easy to get.

jaime and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?