Alabama's Got the Goods

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BigTex, Apr 10, 2018.

1. BigTex

BigTex Well-Known Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Yes, I said Alabama. Well, Auburn, Ala., anyway, Can't speak for the rest of the state. Auburn didn't make the list of top 20 MTB towns, and with good reason - there's one place to ride. But it's pretty damn good. Not a destination, but if you happen to be in the area, well worth the effort.

I happened to be in the area visiting some friends, and had heard about Chewacla State Park. A local group of MTBers, Central Alabama Mountain Pedalers (http://www.camp-sorba.org/), has done some good work with the trails in this park (nice facilities and $4/person to get in, BTW). A bit of chunk, some rock and wooden features, some flow, and lots of singletrack. Not a lot of climbing, but found one pretty good one.

Rented an aluminum SC Tallboy 27.5+ from James Bros. Bikes in Auburn, only a 5-10 minute drive from the park. Helpful, set the bike up properly and told me the best trails to hit after asking what I'm looking for. Here's what I did: https://www.strava.com/activities/1489805686

Riding alone, there were some features that I avoided, but it's a nice mix of stuff. Here's a feature I didn't hit on a trail I didn't ride - a choice of a big gap jump or a bridge with a drop.
    IMG_9356.JPG

Upper Chewacla and the middle portion of the park have the features:
    IMG_9355.JPG

Lower Chewacla (a good bit of which I didn't have time for) is more flowy singletrack from what I saw.
    IMG_9352.JPG

It was a fun ride. You could do every trail in the park with three or four hours. There's also some jump lines as well. Here's a video with more skilled and knowledgable locals. Apologies for the guy who looks like a civil war relic riding in jorts.
    <iframe width='500' height='281' src='https://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/482993/?colors=c80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>

37186-ab03dc7dc34ad2277334243423c5af6a.jpg

37185-d3ae387015ad2029ef93d633bf7622f6.jpg

37184-622a49887e7a9ecda019a4d8b104c1d0.jpg

2. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Nice, I have some family that live just outside Auburn and they have been trying to get me to visit this summer. I will check it out if I do.

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    A friend of mine who used to do the Niterider demo/support at races says Alabama is a great place to ride. Never really hear anything about riding there.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Nice scenery, but Alabama's highest point is at roughly the same elevation (2,407 ft) as Beeks. o_O:laugh:

5. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    That’s twice the elevation of the San Joaquin Hills. And probably ~10X the elevation at the Loop.

I only got one day in Alabama without a bike, but the riding further north near Anniston looked legit.

Summers are less hospitable than Laguna.

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Summers anywhere in the old Confederacy suck more than a Hoover. :eek::gag::confused:

But in its favor the South has some wonderful people and beauteous countryside. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl likes this.
  7. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I ride Bama everytime I am there for 4 or more nights. Huntsville has some wicked riding that requires a lot of bedrock and root skills. Huntsville has a lot of single trac with a butte style rides, sandstone top, glass like limestone sides. The woods are filled with medium 24 to 36"diameter trees and lots of underbrush making your vision into the woods pretty good since the trees are up top and the underbrush is 3 to 6 feet deep. Oh one thing, Bama has both Poison Ivy and Poison Oak.
    Happy technical trails in the heart of Dixie

8. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer

9. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Coming from a place that is basically at sea level...
    I'm guessing that it might be similar to where I am from. It's a different type of riding for sure, no epic climbs to bomb down a descent. But undulating trails with rocks and roots, fighting to keep momentum without the assistance of gravity all the way (check out the trail profiles here if you are bored https://www.trailforks.com/region/french-fort-cove/?lat=47.024509&lon=-65.551901&z=13&m=trailforks ). Buttttttt, it's possible to have great rides without a lot of elevation.:)

10. BigTex

BigTex Well-Known Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Yep. The guy at the bike shop mentioned a couple of tough climbs, but except for short section or two everything was really mellow. I could have done loops up and down all day. On return bike shop guy asked me which trials I rode and seemed surprised that I did the toughest climb in the park (which, to be fair, did trip me up a bit when it got steep and rooty at the top).

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    It doesn't take much elevation for a bitch of a climb. :thumbsup:

12. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Nice man! I've been to BAMA once and ridden Huntsville Monte Sano State Park for 4 days straight. Like you said, not a lot of elevation but the climbing in Monte Sano is technical and it make you feel like you've climbed a whole lot more. Just as in Auburn Monte Sano Huntsville is about all they got. Not sure I could live with that. I'd get burned out quick. I like variety!

Ride report http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/singletrack-riding-in-alabama.4857/#post-59431

da big hills likes this.