2018 Counting Coup/Vision Quest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Runs with Scissors, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode Counting Coup today. This was the hardest mtb ride I have ever done. Hands down.

Everyone was right...the start was fun. I'm not gonna drop a bunch of details, most of you have ridden everything covered by these routes, but a couple of notes:

5:30 is the perfect start time. Weather/temp was perfect the entire day - other than someone leaving the oven door open as B* climb started.:rolleyes: Only really got hot on the top third of Holy Jim.

Riding in that large of a group, even though I was pretty much back of the pack by the top of B*, makes you faster. :sneaky: I got bunches of PRs today.

Main Divide past Santiago Peak SUCKS!!! Rocks, bomb craters, rocks, moon dust, rocks.

By the time I got to Holy Jim, I was tuckered out. I walked some of it, and all of those tight-a$$ switchbacks, because crashing was not on my agenda for today. That trail takes all your concentration and is a boatload of work, downhill or not.

Very well-run event. My only gripe would be that the 2nd aid station had only water. Yes, my Tailwind works...but something to gnaw on would have been good.

I really, really had a great time out there. Ran into @pperrelle on the way up B*, good to meet you. Was passed by @Faust29 early on B*. Saw @mtnbikej but made him stay away with the broom. :Roflmao

42 miles/8,200 feet.

20180414_052813.jpg

20180414_121730.jpg

Evoracer, BeckTrex, OTHRider and 26 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I believe all of our members out there had a successful day. :thumbsup:

HBkites, MattB, DBMX119 and 12 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Congratulations to all you badasses! Well done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: :cool:

4. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
  5. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Hey @MegaLurker - Was that you I saw at the end of Maple Springs and at Four Corners on the Vassago?

It didn’t click until later...

6. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    If you’re referring to aid station 2 as the one at 4 corners in the past that wasn’t an official aid station. They have water but it’s a stop that you should not plan on counting on.

It was a fun day, not as fast as I wanted but fun none the less. Fun seeing everyone at the end and all the smiles even after all the miles.

7. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Active Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    @Faust29 ... yep that was me, you were passing just as the wheels were falling off (pushed WAAAY to hard between Beeks and Motorway... cleaning what I usually walk).

@Runs with Scissors got a picture of my backside in one of the pictures above (Coors jersey front and center :thumbsup:).

8. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    @Faust29
    At 4 corners, if anyone else was there between 9:15-10:00 I might have a picture of you too...
    F7852E8D-BC04-4C10-AF6E-326DCB457A9B.jpeg

Bryon, HBkites, doublewide and 12 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    It should be....they call it out on their Counting Coup ride description....

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Aid Station 2 is Holy Jim Parking lot.

4 Corners is the CC 2nd Time Cutoff

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    C
    Cute water bottle, but I miss your salmon colored jersey!

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I sit corrected...but it really would be a good idea to have an aid station at 4C. :thumbsup:

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Nope.....up to just the last few years, we didn't even acknowledge that there was water there. It was for emergencies.

Technically you should be self sufficient from bottom of Motorway to Holy Jim parking lot.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  14. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Active Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    @tortoise ... I was a few minutes behind Faust and saw you posted up on the guardrail, maybe you snuck my photo (Black/blue Coors Jersey, black label/brown Vassago). Thanks!

Faust29 likes this.
  15. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    I have a standing Sunday morning ride followed by coffee with a couple of buddies. 2 of us rode the Coup today. We told our third buddy that he’s on his own tomorrow!

OTHRider, Old&InTheWay, Grego and 4 others like this.
  16. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
  17. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Active Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    tortoise, kioti and pperrelle like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Just wanted to give you all a heads up......Counting Coup course has been safely swept. :thumbsup:IMG_4406.JPG IMG_3682.jpg IMG_3679.jpg

OTHRider, Bryon, MattB and 16 others like this.
  20. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    Yea it pretty much sucks.

tortoise, Faust29, kioti and 3 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    My view from the back of the pack.

Once again was assigned the sweep from Aid Station #1 at the bottom of the Motorway.

Suz and I parked at the Tree Farm and rode up Silverado Canyon. Temps were much warmer than they should have been at 6:40. We rolled into Aid Station #1 and a few of the front runners had already passed through.

It wouldn't be long before the nuttiness and chaos that is Aid Station #1 kicked in. With an army of volunteers wielding pitchers of water to fill bottles and bladders.

@MnMDan was there helping out with mechanicals. I think 3 flats were changed.....man that was messy.

Kept an eye out for our peeps here. Saw everyone go through....was able to talk with most of you. Everybody was still looking good....and well ahead of the cutoff.

At 9:00 all of a sudden it got hot....and the bugs immediately became present. This would have me concerned how bad it was gonna get going up Maple Springs.

At 9:30 myself and co-sweep headed out. We just cruised as we knew the last rider wasn't too far up. He would turn around about 1/2 way up the paved section. As we continued up....we would see 5-6 more riders coming back down. We rolled into 4 Corners about 11:15. @Runs with Scissors was there as well as a couple of other riders. All the remaining riders took off. Again we'd catch the last rider on the way into the chunk/scree going to Modjeska Peak.

Out into the saddle the last 3 riders were still kinda close together, but that wouldn't last long. We followed behind a rider that was cramping pretty good. The rider dug deep....did some walking, or a lot of walking, then some more pedaling. Eventually he made it up to the Peak and just rolled through. We checked in with the comm guy then followed down. Main Divide was pretty torn up. The cramping rider we caught back up to nearly avoid catastrophy when his skewer became loose. He saved it before it went bad....in the chunk.

Ran into @Grassblade23 at the top of Lower Holy Jim. We let the riders head down a little before we dropped in. My co-sweep dragged a Nomad up and over the Peak, so I let him take the lead.....not used to riding from behind, especially with someone I never ride with. It was toasty up high.....bu that is usually how LHJ is. As we got into the lower switchbacks, we once again pick up another new rider. She was pretty hesitant in the techy sections.

Fought the headwind on the way out of Trabuco Creek Rd. as it usually blows in the afternoon. Rolled into the finish. Grabbed some lunch. Caught up with some of the peeps. Waited around thinking that @Faust29 and our friend Amy were still out on course. Turns out they had already finished. Steve was already gone....talked with Amy.

After an hour, put my gear back on and started my ride back through O' Neil /Santiago Canyon back to Blackstar. The headwind in the canyon sucked.

Otherwise good day out in the mountains.

22. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    Nice work to all who were out there today. Unfortunately my sickness along with the postponement forced me to take the Warriors Society up on the offer to move my entry to the Trabuco Challenge. Actually not the worst thing and I’ll be putting my Minions back on now and just gonna go with those for that ride.

HBkites, tortoise, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

We missed you out there today. :thumbsup:

24. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Good job all. Good to read all the reports. Good that no one got hurt.. must be nice to have that feather!
    Maybe next year... not getting any younger.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
  26. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Active Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    So maybe I won’t be so lurkish today and post up...

Chilly morning start. In CCs past I’ve bit and joined the race up blackstar, and learned in VQs past that’s a recipe for disaster. So rolling CC this year decided to follow my VQ strategy and hang back (especially since I’ve been averaging about 2k’ climb per week over the last year).

Yea that lasted all of 3 minutes when i found myself in the middle of a pack with other fellow SS’ers and tagged along. The pack spread out across blackstar but the pace was set, and I was feeling good. Got to the ball no problem, hit the wall at Hagador and cleaned it. I told myself that was a big mistake I’d be paying for later, but was having a blast so kept that up all the way to motorway. PR’d motorway.

Loaded up at the aid station and set off on the maple pavement. About 2 Miles in... (que record scratch sound effect). Stood to mash up a punchy climb and nothing. Coupled with that I think I went a bit too rich on the tailwind, and started feeling like I had a sour stomach. Fought all the way up to 4 corners, on the way up I must have been passed by 15-20 riders, including @Faust29 . Hit the scree on modjeska and that is where is really hit the fan... just hiked most of it. Was happy to get to Santiago peak and point the bike downhill.

Now I’m not much of a fan of UHJ, but after the main divide run down from the peak today UHJ would have been much preferred. Not much bothers me these days running full rigid, but the ride down to LHJ left my hands and back pissed off.

Fun run down LHJ, save for a slow speed OTB at a switchback in front of some hikers. Surprisingly saw some riders heading UP LHJ... not sure I’ve seen that before on CC/VQ day. I’m sure with all the race traffic down they were regretting their trail choice.

Was happy to get to the bottom in one piece, and spin out to the finish. Great day on the bike, and awesome event as always.

H2oChick, OTHRider, Bryon and 19 others like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

You know what this means.......VQ on the SS for @HBkites next year. :whistling: :thumbsup: :sneaky:

29. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    H2oChick, Bryon, Rumpled and 7 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That's a win!