2017 Canfield Brothers Riot (Toir)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by dustyyoungblood, Feb 20, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. I had an opportunity to take my friends new dream bike build for a spin through Whiting ranch. It was good. Really good

Specs: 29er for non 29er people. It’s a 35lb monster truck ready to destroy

Frame: Canefield Riot, Size Large
    Shock: DVO Topaz
    Fork: DVO Diamond set at 150mm
    Seat Post: DVO garnet Dropper
    Wheels: RF Arc 30 on Hope Pro 4’s 3 cross DT Swiss DB. built by owner
    Tires. Minnion DHF 2.5” DHR 2.4”
    Cranks. XT
    Chainring: Absolute Black oval 32T
    Cassette: Box 10-46
    derailuer: Box Once
    Shifter: Box
    Chain: KMC DLC
    Seat: SQ labs 612

The parking lot test.

The bike felt like a good fit. I could go for a couple less spacers under the stem. But generally it was fantastic. Pedaling around it is apparent that the design includes a high percentage of anti-squat. That’s a characteristic i look for and means it will climb well even with the shock in open mode. It checks the box for slack head tube and short chain stays, but no matter what the numbers are it’s still a monster truck of a bike with lots of wheel, tires and travel. That’s a good thing in my book, but looking side by side with some other 29er short travel bikes might leave you wondering where the Canfield falls into place. On chunky high speed runs that’s where.

Up Borrego Canyon:
    First off, the sand traps are mitigated with 29” 2.4 and larger tires. It still takes some Watts to push through the long one but i made it no problem. Bike felt nimble and fun through all the up/down crossings. While there is nothing tech up the canyon, i aimed for every rock and the bike straight lined them all even with my Neanderthal piloting.

Up mustard to marks bench:
    I did have reservations about pedaling a couple extra pounds of bike, but knowing it had an oval32t and 46t on the cassette gave me confidence. Once it got steep i just settled into a moderate cadence and kept momentum. It climbs like a diesel truck. I actually kept my heart rate from spiking and kept going. I set a PR for the “Borrego to marks bench” section by ove a minute. But plus 1min on my mustard PR. I found the rear suspension to be highly compliant over the cobbles and loose rock up mustard. More so then my Foes. So it seems the Canfield bros marketing claims are true. Both efficient climbing and compliant??? How? That meant i got great traction and some of that is due to oval chainring and minions.

Decending:
    While there is nothing steep and chunky in the park, i lit the fuse and let it run over all the nasty braking bumps, over the roots, and charging every corner i could find. The frame/links are stiff and do not present any flexy wallowing drift when tucking into a bumpy corner entry. That’s a performance feature i seek out to verify in test rides. With the slack head angle and short stem it’s ready for battle on TNA. My take away, this bike could be ridden really ducking fast. Probably faster than i want to go. 29” wheels do that.

The bad:
    The only negative is that you do, as with any 29’r with big tires and wide rims, feel the rotational weight. It takes more effort to accelerate it quickly. That may not matter to most. It also takes some upper body muscling to promote lateral direction changes. Tight S turns at speed? It’s no problem but you are working for it. 35lb is beefy. But it’s an all Metal spec in large. I was really surprised my legs were not toasted. For ref i was riding a 35lb 26” intense6.6 last year and it was a bear to climb. Super inefficient. So totally different experience at same weight.

The good:
    Scary fast straight line speed. Great traction climbing and descending. Confidence inspiring chassis. All components in custom spec performed good. DVO again for the win. Hope brakes were solid. I like the levers and modulation profile. Frame is well made and over engineered for abuse. Good handling, well balanced. Great high frequency small bump compliance. I am 6’ and geo was good.

2. Review updated above

55EFF3C5-070A-444A-8736-6B1C77987AAC.jpeg

A2CC65F3-51B6-4387-A72A-AF35046A76BD.jpeg

8A8BFF2B-7BF6-46F3-8713-046085BE5301.jpeg

OTHRider, Cornholio, kioti and 11 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Great review! You're hired! :thumbsup:

From the set up, the bike looks a little small for its owner. 30 mm of spacer under the stem is max. recommended by fork manufacturers, and massive amount of seatpost. I imagine it fits exactly how the owner wants it to fit. Us tall guys end up with weird looking bikes no matter how we try to make them fit. Frame makers used to spec really long head tubes and seat tubes for tall guys. Now they just let us figure it out with seatpost, spacers and riser stems and bars. Luckily, top tubes have gotten longer for all.

kioti, littlewave, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for writing this up!

Faust29 and mike like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    How does this bike weigh 35 pounds? Must be those Asian welds :cool:

6. 34.89

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  7. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Not sure how you could have any less seatpost with a 150 dropper?!

mike likes this.
  8. I am a “short” 6’
    Owner is 5’11”

Seat post height is perfect
    Seat post angle is good
    Both owner and myself agreed Stem should come down.

mike likes this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    35#? No, tanks.. :eek:

10. mike likes this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    mtnbikej and mike like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Never thought I'd be riding a 32-lb sled all over, so why not 35? The crux is, how heavy it pedals and how it does everything else. A bigger crux is what the rider wants in a bike. IOW, no wrong answer :cool:

littlewave likes this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Indeed, all my posts are just my opinion and keeping up with what opinion articles tell me what’s cool and works for them isn’t how I gauge things. One bike for all rides is how I operate so a 35# bike isn’t for me, might make my wallet fatter though.

mike and dustyyoungblood like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I just thought 35# was normal. That's what my Enduro weighs without extras (tools, tube, water, etc).

herzalot, mike and dustyyoungblood like this.
  15. I was crushed when my foes landed at 32lb. I was aiming my investment to be sub 30lb. I would need CF cranks, rims, a Pike, and less brakes to get there. Now my opinion has changed and i don’t care. I ride mostly under 3 hours and under 3k so it don’t much matter. Canefield bros told me most the riots they see are 31-36lb. Sub 30lb on that bike would be making some serious compromises.

kioti, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    mike likes this.
  17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My ride yesterday was just in town, somewhere I don't ride much (though I probably should). 18 miles, 4000'. 5 of those miles were on virtually flat ground getting to/from the trails. Skypark was 5000'.

Riding a 35+ pound 160mm bike with the suspension left open at all times makes my 22 pound XC bike feel like a rocket though!

Voodoo Tom, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    You guys win, you don’t need anything less than a 35# trail bike. :rolleyes:

*Enter @Sidewalk multiple race references here

doublewide, mtnbikej, scottay and 2 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You can't. I am aware of that. My comment was that it looks very long. But as I mentioned, that's the norm for tall guys.

Cyclotourist and Cornholio like this.
  20. scottay

Name:
    Scottay

That's the norm for anyone with a 150 dropper. Less than norm..

Cyclotourist and Cornholio like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am glad you came to that realization. If you are on the heavier end of the spectrum (say over 200lbs) and you really, really like descending fast with all that today's bikes have to offer, you have to accept that the great equipment is a little heavier. 35 or 36mm forks stanchions, strong hubs and rims, great tires, a solid shock with reservoir, a dropper post, quad piston brakes - attach all of that to an XL frame and voila, 30 plus lbs. Make that frame aluminum and you can add 1-2 lbs. The only way to cut that weight without compromising capability is carbon rims, and frankly, they will trim ounces, not lbs.

Good thing most of the great "Enduro" bikes climb well. And honestly, I like the feeling of a 30lb bike better than a 25lb bike descending. Probably because the 25lb bikes I've ridden have weak, flexy components (fork, shock, tires, brakes).

Commence examples of how many awesomely stout and burly sub 25lb builds there are.

OTHRider, mike and kioti like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK, thank you for the correction. I retract my statements. They were made in haste without the proper research. The seatpost does not look long. It looks normal.

(waving smiley)

23. I am so happy i won. Finally. Adding 3lbs to my bike tonight

Cyclotourist, mike, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  24. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    That wasnt so hard, now was it?

(waving smiley)

25. Dustyyoungblood high performance upgrade kit. Compatible with any CF bike. Will work with boost spacing or not. Dropper post not required.

F12FAF9A-E57E-483C-99D9-AB23E05221DE.jpeg

26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Talk about compromises.. my Ripley's effective weight right now is 45 lbs.. given the 17+ extra lbs. I'm hauling around these days. And that ballast doesn't make the bike stiffer or stop better.. it just sucks up oxygenated blood. Will eating Tommy's burgers or Arby's classics get my (effective) bike weight down to the sub-thirty pounds I'm shooting for? Heck, I'd settle for a short plateau at 34.89.

mike, herzalot, littlewave and 3 others like this.
  27. The "Dustyyoungbloods" Tommy's chili burger diet only works for increasing muscle strength while you recover. It should not be used for more that 60 days and must be preceded with intense sprinting in high gears. I am off it now and trying to lean out without loosing my massive quads.

mike, herzalot, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Darn it, I knew there'd be a catch! I gave up on muscle strength a long time ago and should prolly proceed directly to leaning out. But's where's the motivation in that?

Did you get a chance to take that Riot down Dreaded, the right way?

29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Which is part of the reason I prefer Mediums, even though shops think I belong on a Large. I need a short top tube, an IHOP stack of spacers on my stem and my saddle sitting proud atop a lofty post. Just wish I could shove the seat all the way down to the frame for some descents, but it's not to be.

Hey @dustyyoungblood, you going to get a chance to ride this beast on something it's designed for?

mike and littlewave like this.
  30. I don’t think i am brave enough for full gas

herzalot, kioti and Cyclotourist like this.