12 Hours of Temecula- November 2015

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Well... The plan was to get on the road at 6:00, so we could get there early enough to snag roughly the same spot in pit row as last time. My wife was on board with the plan the night before, but somehow it turned into a 6:30 departure. :bang:

Of course the preferred spot was taken and that end of the pit area was completely full. We ended up at the opposite end, roughly 300 yards into the course. In the end, this was actually a better setup, as solos can enter and exit the course anywhere, and our end of pit row was sparsely populated... Of course, I'll never admit that the wife's pokiness actually paid off. :whistling:

The pre-ride meeting was roughly the same as last time: be nice, don't cheat, help the guy who lands in the bushes, and don't be a dick. There was also an introduction and short speech by a young rider who was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Jason couldn't ride this year, but he encouraged all of us to go out and give it our all... :thumbsup:

Pre ride meeting.jpg

The coffee tent was at the June race, and I remembered that the kids working were pretty cool, and the coffee is good... I may need to order some and try it at home. :thumbsup:
    12 Hours of Temecula Nov 2015.jpg

The first lap this year was slightly shorter than the standard lap. The organizers ditched the parade lap through the campgrounds, and chose to skip the beginning single track climb, and opt instead for a fireroad start. This spread the pack out much better than the last race, and it was just about possible to clear the Bridges climb on lap 1. There was still some congestion in the beginning, but nothing like before...

The single track in the beginning would have been a huge bottleneck... Especially the sections of new trail.

new trail.jpg

I followed this guy for part of the 1st lap... Star Wars jersey, and the sound track from the movie playing loudly for all...

conga line small climb.jpg

The Bridges climb isn't really that bad, and I cleared it on lap 1. In the June race, I cleared it 4 times, including the climb after we pop out onto the ridge. I'm pretty sure that used too much energy, and led to the collapse in lap 5. This time around, I cleared it on lap 1, and walked parts of it the rest of the day to conserve energy.

bridges climb.jpg

After the climb along the ridge, there was the main DH of the day... chunky and loose, and it got a little worse each lap.

drop into the dh.jpg

dh.jpg

dh2.jpg

dh3.jpg

dh4.jpg

dh5.jpg

I didn't have any issues on the dh until lap 7... I went into one of the hard left hand turns at about the same speed as earlier, but the turn had morphed into a nice deep layer of baking flour.

Garmin view of dirt after landing upside down... :whistling: Bloody elbow and knee, hurt pride, but no big deal...
    crash.jpg

The bridges climb and the main dh came pretty late into the lap, and I really considered the lap over at that point, except for one short HAB section. I saw a few guys clear it, but the majority of the riders charged it at speed and walked at least half... It was much more fun as a downhill in the last race.

HAB.jpg

timing table.jpg

As the day progressed, I saw fewer and fewer riders, only getting passed by the occasional team riders who flew by quickly...

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

I made it through the first 6 laps without too much trouble, but really started to feel it on lap 7. The crash on the DH was a sign that I wasn't as sharp as I had been earlier... And I started to assess how much farther I would go. I wanted to get at least one lap in the dark, so I put the lights on and headed out for lap 8...

My wife took this shot as I was pulling out of the pit area... Yep, it was really dark.

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_5452.jpg

The temperatures dropped like a stone once the sun went down, and it was in the upper 40s when I finished the lap. The cold actually brought me back to life, and I felt really good after #8 physically. Mentally, I wasn't thinking clearly enough to try for #9. There had been a few spots on #8 that I took too long to make a decision, and almost ended up in the bushes again on an easy section. Time to pull the plug... My wife was frozen, and I was close. But, I felt good enough to drive home, and stop for sushi on the way. I skipped the beer, and opted for some hot green tea.

I was actually worried that something happened with mtnbikej, because I had only seen him once all day. On lap 3 I passed close to the pit area, and he was going by probably on lap 4. My only J sighting all day except for his visit before the race. I started at the very back of the pack, which probably kept us far enough apart maybe...

https://www.strava.com/activities/428531855
    strava.jpg

2. CarlS

CarlS Well-Known Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    well done. I don't know how any normal person does more than 6 hours. I thought about going out for the 6 hour... but couldn't make it happen. I heard someone riding for our local bike shop did 18 laps. What was the overall winner laps / time? that short steep hill is called marine corps hill. I have cleaned it when I'm fresh but couldn't imagine having to hitting that lap after lap.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Final race of the series....and to be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. But since I had done the first 2, and I HAD to do Race #3 to qualify for the series, I went for it. Had actually thought about doing the 6hr at one point.

Plus earlier this week I was put on Blood Pressure meds for the first time....something that I had putting off for a while. Just finally got it taken care of. :gag: Did a few rides this week and all seemed to be ok. So I signed up.:thumbsup:

Cheesy before ride pic with Hugh

Instagram Link

Had a different pit crew this time....my wife and my buddy Hugh....which turned into main Hugh, as my wife was a social butterfly all day. :laugh: Knew the race was going the other direction, but was still able to get our usual pit location. Good spot, we were surrounded by lots of friends and familiar faces(see wife above).

My pit crew:

Instagram Link

Based on the weather reports, it didn't look it was gonna be cold out there.....41* when we rolled in at 6:45. Fortunately that didn't last long. Quick visit with Faust before the start.

Somehow I ended up towards the front of the start field...not intentional, just kinda worked out that way. Starter went off and we began. Had mixed feelings about the shortened first lap. I liked that there was no parade lap, and I liked that we didn't bottleneck on the first 2 ST's....since we skipped them. I didn't like that the lap was shorter, thus the lap time was shorter, and kinda threw me off the rest of the day.

Bridges climb was part ride, part HAB on lap 1...was still a conga line. Cleaned the 2nd part of it, then conga line down the techy DH, only to have a racer crash out in front. Marine Corp. hill was a HAB every lap.

Marine Corp. Hill

Instagram Link

Coming back around to the pit, we were located before the timing tent, so I would pit, then cross the line. Hugh was on it most of the day.

Laps 2-6 were great. Felt really good....100% better than Race #2. At lap 2 I stopped trying to clear Bridges Climb...just too much energy expended for a short climb. The wind blew pretty much all day...and always seemed to be blowing in the wrong direction. After Lap 7, the course cleared out with the end of the 6hr....it was so much nicer out there. There were a couple of little punchy climbs that always seemed to botttleneck at the start of the 2nd DH, so I found myself backing off and letting the gap grow before hitting them. This would lead into the new section of trail. It wasn't very good when I prerode it a few weeks back....and it only deteriorated during the race. Couple of different times, found my wife way out on course...was good to see her out there.

I took a break after lap 7. Back and shoulders were getting pretty tight. Took a Tylenol and headed back out. My lap 7 was about 1:25....so I was pretty slow. Headed out for Lap 8 about 4:00 so I didn't bother to put my light on(lights were mandatory at 4:45). Was a little worried that I might not make it back around before it got dark, based on Lap 7 time. The break was good. Lap 8 I was able to push the pace a bit, but got pushed by a couple of other riders. Made it back to the pits @ 1:01....there were not ready for me.

Mounted up the lights, and took off for Lap #9. About 5 mins. into the lap, my helmet kept feeling loose. Tried tightening the tension strap...not working. Finally stopped and looked, it was broken, so it felt like I was wearing a helmet that was 2 size too big. This was the beginning of the end....about the time the wheels would fall off the bus. I was able to get the 1st climb/DH and second climb done without lights. At this point I was starting to feel a little queasy. Turn the lights on for the 2nd DH. Now I don't usually run a helmet light, so it was an adjustment for me. However, I couldn't adjust....plus it was flopping all over the place. Not sure I was getting vertigo, but I stopped and puked at one point. The queasy feeling never went away. On the way to the Bridges Climb, the leg cramps kicked in....and bad. Did a whole lot of walking....even on the fireroad. On the Bridges Climb, got to see the Missile Launch....really neat to see it from out there in the pitch blackness. Crawled my way down the techy DH, still feeling like :poop:. Slow rolled it into the pit....called it at that point. Couldn't shake off the cramps or nausea.

Missle Launch/Aliens:

Instagram Link

Wasn't the results I was looking for, but I still had fun. Packed it in and headed home.

Did see Faust on course once...3rd lap, I was passing by his pit and he was heading the opposite direction on course.

Some observations:
    1. The course wasn't hard...save for Bridges Climb/Marine Corp. HAB
    2. Time seemed to go by sooooo much slower this race.
    3. Didn't really get cold til after I finished Lap 9
    4. Standing at the start line, the 12 year old in front of me was on a carbon wonderbike with XTR Di2.....WTF???o_Oo_Oo_O
    5. A lot more racers out that were not all that friendly....a lot more non talkative, non responsive, don't bother me types.

6. Best of all.....first lap, on the 2nd fire road climb, by this point I had slipped back a ways, just cruising....myself and another rider were side by side. Another rider came up from behind, screaming that someone had to get out the way and move. The rider next to me moved over a bit and screaming ride went to pass...only to suck his chain up in front...KARMA dumbass. If you were behind me at that point...you were probably not a very fast rider....plus the road was 15' wide at that point....screaming at us was not necessary.:thumbsup:

I ran the whole race on Tailwind....started off with only a scoop per bottle for the first couple of laps, then eventually increased that through the day. Never felt hungry.

So anyway....I think I am done with 12hr racing. I think I put too much pressure on myself to succeed. I know what I am capable of. Maybe I will think about the 6hrs next year.

75.3 miles / 9379' ascent

Screenshot (102).png Screenshot (103).png

4. MnMDan

MnMDan Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Great reports guys. Our 3-man team ended up going head-to-head all year with the guys from Think ASG/MVP. We pushed each other to do more laps than we thought we could, with some finishing right before the cutoff, and some right after. This is probably my favorite series because when its a long day, everyone is pretty chill about passing, etc. One minute does not make the day, and the race keeps the adrenaline and motivation going.

I think my wife caught the bug as well...her four-women team raced the 12-hours and their team member was the one that came in at the end with the laps counting down. They're already thinking about keeping that together through next year's series. With them (Pure), G2, Kasel, and a couple of the rest of the women, it'd be great to have that many women's teams out there.

Oh, and a 17-year old woman did 14 laps...that's something like 115+ miles over the 12-hours.

Time to go back to recovery...the post-race IHOP Chicken and Waffles and Pancakes and Waffles and Pancakes were good, but I'm still hungry.

JCA, Danimal, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Congrats.....saw you go by a few times....not hard to miss the double bells. :thumbsup:

6. CarlS

CarlS Well-Known Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    That's funny, at the Filthy Fifty same kinda thing happened. A guy in expert class broke his seat off somehow, crashing I assume. So he wrapped a tube around the top of the post and caught back up to the big mass of us bunched up at the worst possible place to try and pass. At the super tight switchbacks with wood railings there was two way traffic and he comes up behind us all yelling "faster rider back, I'm not in the same class as you, I'm faster. move over!" Dude, whoever you are, we really don't care. Why be a douche bag when the race leaders are WAY WAY ahead, never going to catch them. Just wait with the rest of until we get past the back up and pass on the open fire road that is right around the corner. After listening to him yell for 10 minutes, he only moved up 3-4 positions. Everyone else saying "what a dick" and "he must be a roadie" It was a bit of comedy.

nice work getting through that last lap from hell. do you think it was because you only had tailwind? did you have any "real" food?

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Don't think it was that....may have been a mix of the Tylenol and my BP meds, or vertigo from running a helmet light.
    I had no appetite til we got almost back home.

Runs with Scissors, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Thanks for the report guys! It is so awesome that you are in an endurance race but still have time to take pics and do a report. :thumbsup:

9. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I cheated... Most of my pics are screen grabs from the Garmin video.

10. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    It counts just the same.

11. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Awesome job all of you racers !!!! Glad to read all of you had fun on this sufferfest !!! as for me I had my eyes on signing for the 6hr and do whatever I could, but 3 weeks ago my bros and sis decided to take Mom to see the Dr. in Guadalajara Mex. and my eldest sis. and me were chosen to go with Mom, we spent the week from oct 26 tru nov 2 over there, when I came back coming on the fwy we stopped to get some junk food (mickeyD) and got a bacon cheeseburger and didnt liked the taste and after that..... Bam !!! stomach flu the rest of the week !!! :(

12. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Good job to you both. Sorry to hear about your struggles J. I barely recognized Faust w/o his trademarked Salmon shirt!

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    YEAH, BUT HE LOOKS SO SNAZZY!

GREAT JOB GUYS!

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Added some pics that a friend took out on course

P1080677.jpg P1080678.jpg P1080679.jpg P1080700.jpg P1080701.jpg P1080702.jpg P1080729.jpg P1080745.jpg P1080746.jpg P1080747.jpg P1080748.jpg P1080749.jpg

15. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Nice going, guys (and gals) on the course.

What a story, CarlS...

Runs with Scissors, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    All smiles!

Mikie likes this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

When I am on bike....always.

18. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    J, You forgot to mention that your derailleur fell off! :confused:

CarlS, Mikie, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Actually....I rode so fast, I just left it behind. :ninja:

20. JCA

JCA New Member

Name:
    John Angevine
    Nice

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    It would only slow him down!

22. JCA

JCA New Member

Name:
    John Angevine
    Nice work. I was one of the thinkASG GUYS, you guys were great competition, great motivation and most of all class acts all season. See you out there in 2016.

Fijirob, Cougar, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  23. Fijirob

Fijirob Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rob
    Dan - I think you should have been at 3 scoops per bottle from the start. With one scoop you may have put yourself at a deficit right away and just couldn't make that up. I think under race conditions you want to be at the top end of the caloric intake that Tailwind recommends. Maybe try 3 scoops per hour for the entire race next time and see how you feel. I know you had a lot of other things going on, but one scoop won't cut it under race conditions or hard efforts IMHO.

mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

J :thumbsup:

Actually I think my nutrition was good....didn't want to over burden the system too early. Plus, I really wasn't pushing the pace much quicker than my normal long all day rides. I tend to go light on the the mix early on, then increase as the day progresses. In addition, I was drinking a 20 oz bottle an hour, which is way more than typical...for me, regardless of the weather.

By mid race I was at 2 full scoops.

This time around I purposely took it easy as to not have a repeat of Race #2....at least on the climbs. I always push on the DH's.

Thanks for the info.

25. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I was at 2 scoops all day... I normally go between 1-1.5, but figured I'd play it safe and avoid a deficit. I think 3 would be a little much for me, especially at my slower pace in this one.

mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I left too soon! This would have been my one and only podium finish ever... I'll go sport next time and maybe ss, which means last place, or really close to it.

Edit: Oh man, I'm sorry, @Mikie - I left before the awards, and missed the chance to have the IMTB jersey on the podium. :thumbsdown:

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    As penance, you shall be required to do the FLoop. :bang:

But on a brighter note, good job with the third place you didn't get the recognition for.:)

Faust29 likes this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    We left early....but a friend picked this up for me.

IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1298.JPG

tortoise, BeckTrex, jaime and 5 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    There are a lot of hard miles represented in that medal... :thumbsup:

Are you sure you don't want to have another go at it? I'm already thinking about the January race... :unsure: