Your wheelsmith

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jun 21, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I know some of y'all do your own wheel building. I don't, and am not too interested in tooling up and learning, considering the spartan amount of this kind of work I need done.

I had a well-known, outa-town wheelsmith build my latest set, and I am as happy as can be with the results. Sadly, this comes after multiple episodes of substandard LBS wheel work. I no longer wish to spin the who's-playing-wheel-expert-today wheel at a shop and end up having a rookie wrenching on my wheels.

Do you have a local (SoCal) wheel expert that you can reco? Not a shop – a person. As stated, I don't need one often, but I would like to have one I can trust to get things right the first time. TIA for sharing your wisdom!

HBkites, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 10 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have been building wheels for quite a while, personally and at the shop. I have built several hundred wheels. I like to focus on building wheels for strength and durability and I tend to work with easily sourced parts.
    That said, I have built every type of wheel from crazy spoked tri wheels to racing bmx wheels.
    Let's talk.

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    ^Doesn't get much better than that. He even has a "pop-up" work station in his van. :Barefoot:

I'll go ahead and see myself out of this thread now.

Grassblade23, code3, mike and 15 others like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I got nothing to contribute. Just came here to "UP" my post count... :whistling:

Oh and knowing the trails and the way @rossage rides, I would say Ross knows his chit.

mike, Cyclotourist, Danimal and 8 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the most talented hardtail guys on the forum both build their own wheels.

Grassblade23, code3, mike and 10 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @mike, Rossage just wants to get you into his van. Remember, just because it's frowned upon doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Grassblade23, Oaken, mike and 7 others like this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I got a guy...but now that I know roastage does wheels I got 2 guys.

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thank you for the compliments and astute observations.
    Riding a hardtail will expose weaknesses in a wheel.

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm still kinda stuck on the "Pop Up" and Van combo. That doesn't sound healthy for children under the age of......

Grassblade23, mike, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I build my own....haven't paid to have wheels built in more than 10 years.

I have built them for others.....for free. :thumbsup: That way you can't complain if something goes wrong. :whistling:

They have all been solid.

That being said, I have not built up a set of carbon hoops yet.

11. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I use 805 Bikes in Simi. It is a shop...but it's a one man operation and the owner builds the wheels. He's built up a couple sets of carbon wheels for me and I've been pretty happy with his work. His prices are extremely fair. Only thing is...if you're in a hurry...he may not be the best guy to go to:laugh:.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good, fast, cheap...pick two! Lee, I assume he built your Derby set?

Thanks for the info, guys. Will be talking to you, Rossage...in person, no less : )

13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ive built about ten wheelsets for myself. All worked out great, never had any issues. I use antiseize, not adhesive, on the threads so easy to true in the future. I dont do it anywhere near as quickly as those who do it professionally. Not sure though if I want the responsibility of building a wheel to go under someone elses life, haha

14. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Gotta quick wheelbuild question . I9's on Derby 650b rims. Aluminum spokes
    Does I9 use the same tension on all size wheels? I found this:

32h System Chassis DS-R/NDS-F 3.3-3.5 31-33
    32h System Chassis NDS-R/DS-F 2.9-3.0 28-30

Just re-tensioning because I think the rear is creaking. They are reading around 25, I'm guessing I should bring them up to 31-33 and 28-30.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...acing+Industry+Nine+Torch+Mountain+Wheels.pdf

mike, rossage and Danmtchl like this.
  15. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Ha! True that. He's a nice guy and does good work. I'll drop off the wheels on a Monday and I'll just say "let me know".

My rims are from "Apex". From what I can see, they are a producer and not a third party seller. The rep on the other side is pretty responsive with emails. I came across them at Interbike last year. I bought one rim they had on hand...then ordered 7 more after the show. The prices on their site are high. If you email them...they'll give you a better price. They'll ask you what type of valve hole, how many spokes, type of weave, angle you want the spoke holes drilled at and either the AM or Enduro layup.

http://www.xmapexbicycle.com/

IMG_20170526_143838359.jpg

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thanks for link!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?