Knee pads - why don't you wear them?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Varaxis, Dec 9, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I try to get in the habit of wearing my elbow and knee pads all the time, but sometimes I'll leave them in the car on really hot rides and try to be a bit more careful. A trip to the ER for stitches in my forearm years ago convinced me to finally buy them. I tried the G-form pads, but they slid up my arm a little too easily the first time I crashed with them. They still saved some skin, but I worried what they'd do in a higher speed crash. After that I bought the TLD 5550 Long Elbow Guards that cover the forearm and the TLD 5400 Knee Guards with no shin protection. Since I ride clipped in, I wasn't worried about catching a pedal spike in the shin and didn't want the pads to be too warm. I really like the cut-out section on the back of the knee and inside of the elbow on these pads so there's no bunching up of material as you move. These pads manage to be comfortable and stay in place really well for me even through a number of crashes. After a couple of years, the elastic is starting to go so it's about time to replace them. I know TLD has a number of newer models, but I'm probably going to stick with these.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I may wear these all day at work tomorrow to see how comfortable they really are.20170208_152020.jpg

mike and herzalot like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I so badly want to post a picture of me in my new protective gear just for you.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I don't wear knee or elbow pads for years at a time, but I own them and will wear them whenever I descend Joplin. I find that they give me a little more confidence to do things I wouldn't normally try. Otherwise I find they are too hot and chafe on longer cross country rides.

mike, Sasquatch9billion and UPSed like this.
  5. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I wear them and have come to really like them.

mike and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Love me some Offspring! Love me some Gringo Bandito too!

"I'm not a trendy a--hole - I do what I want, I do what I feel like..."

Oh yeah, and I almost always wear an elbow/forearm guard for descending. When I fall, I usually go over my right forearm, tuck and roll. I rarely hit my knees.

I ALWAYS wear knee protection on my DH bike, and knee/shin protection when riding flats.

mike and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  7. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    And I so badly want to see that! :inlove:

mike, UPSed and herzalot like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Thread resurrection!

@UPSed what is the verdict on these? I get 40% off retail w/ my Hookit sponsorship and ready to buy these. So tell us... yay or nay?

UPSed likes this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I wear my light duty Fox knee pads when I ride my Remedy. But for some strange reason, I scuff up my knees when I an NOT WEARING KNEE PADS. :mad:

RS VR6 likes this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Definitely recommended. I broke mine in on a PCE ride. I didn't have to "use" them but they fit perfectly, stayed in place and were very comfortable. Just for fun I left them on while climbing the wash and they didn't bother me at all. I actually rode with one of their employees a couple of weeks ago. They recently moved here from Colorado. Any little problem at all and they will take care of you. To me their sizing seems a little weird so make sure you take measurements to get the right size.

Redman likes this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Anyone got recommendations for knee pads that don't require removal of shoes to put on? Not looking for huge knee/shin combo pads, just the knee only, and preferably lightweight compact. I find it much more likely I'll wear them if they're quicker on/off.

Looks like Seven has a couple models like this.

12. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Do you really want to do that? If you're pulling them on with your shoes on...I would imagine the inside of your pads would get dirty and you'd be pulling it onto your legs. After a few times off and on...they'd be pretty nasty. Knee pads get pretty nasty without pulling them over your shoes. Getting them off and on reasonably fast is a reason why I don't like to wear knee pads often.

Cornholio, UPSed and SnakeCharmer like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Great point! What if there was a tarantula hawk wasp on the bottom of his shoe?! Ohhhh, the horror...:eek:

Cornholio likes this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    RS, I think evdog was more thinking a wrap design than shoving his shoes through the pad.

I prefer to look like an idiot pedaling uphill with my pads on my calves.

doublewide, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  15. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks Mike, I thought that would be obvious.

I used to have lightweight pads I could just strap on with two straps - easy on or off in under 5 seconds. So I tended to put them on much more often than the ones I have now, which I take my shoes off to put on. Not sure I've ever seen pads you can slip on over your shoes, hence taking them off.

mike and UPSed like this.
  16. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    That's why I asked...I've never come across pads that strap on sideways.

mike likes this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    How many of you had to wear knee pads when you went to have your taxes done? :D

mike likes this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I do my own taxes, and actually pay attention to my withholdings. This year at tax time we paid the state an extra $252, and we're getting $58 back from the feds.

That, my friends, is how it's done. :cool:

SnakeCharmer and Voodoo Tom like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I do it the same way. I paid the feds $85 and the state owes me $60. Even Steven.

20. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Yeah they're not easy to find. Surprised there isn't more demand for them, and more offerings.

mike likes this.
  21. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    A huge thumbs up for the Raceface Ambush knee pads. Very comfortable and protective. I wear them at least once a week. I've had them for a few years now. Very easy to put on and take off. I've found they're good for up to 20-30 mile pedaling rides. Any more than that and I get a bit of "rug burn" above the knee caps.

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/ambush-knee-guards

mike and BeckTrex like this.
  22. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Here you go....

https://7protection.com/us/product/transition-wrap-knee/

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    herzalot likes this.
  24. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Think I already mention but I really like these for light moderate, wearing them more and more. They can be found for reasonable price.

http://bike.ixs.com/en/shop/flow-knee-pad

Pretty much every evening ride (which are often solo and pushing the pace)

Depending on the ride they just stay on / up... or if long climb I just push them down to my ankles for then takes about 5 sec each to pull them up.

The thing I like is 1 strap and they stay up. The strap sits right where you calf gets bigger, so with just a little tension the don't slide down.... evah.

Also this is danger time for me, ground is drying out, getting that dusty / dry slippery stuff on the rocks etc and my brain sometimes want to think I am still on winter damp dirt, I tend to take a "reminder" spill or two in spring.

MattB and mike like this.
  25. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    :laugh:

Thanks, I'll try to find some and try them on. For pads that are easy to take off/put on the whole point is not to wear them for 20-30 mi, just for the descents. So they should work if they fit!

Thanks for the replies!

bvader likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?