Upcoming FUnemployment Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevers, Jun 19, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    I've decided to end my current work contract and explore bigger and better things. I'll spend a month or two considering my options, which means sleeping in, biking every day, and getting some house stuff in order. I typically do 1 - 1.5 hour rides around south Orange County, but wondering about recommendations for a 3 hour solo ride. Nothing with too much gravity, since I will be solo on the trails. My last fun-employment time in 2016 was 6 weeks, but spent 4 weeks in physical therapy. Any ideas?

kioti, Danmtchl, ricke24 and 10 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Whiting-Luge-Whiting

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Black Star: 1:00 - 1:15. Maple Springs: 1:30 - 1:45. Harding: :eek: (Okay, 2:00). Old Camp: 2:30. All of these given durations assume no flats or other mechanicals.

Lots o' stuff right there in the Santa Anas. I think Aliso & Whiting are also in that area, but I could not say by my own experience. :p

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Maple to Motorway... 17 miles and 3600 feet. One of the classic mountain loops... Fire road up, chunky Main Divide, 3 mile single track Motorway descent right back to the car.

Black Star to Motorway... A much bigger ride. It can be done in under 3 hours, but it's harder.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    All of the above...

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Holy Jim to Trabuco...

West Horsethief to Trabuco...

Herz mentioned Whiting- Luge- Whiting, but I'd also tack on Old Camp. All the way to the bottom if you've never been out there.

7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I have a feeling there is a disconnect here..
    Gravity is involved on these rides...
    If new to santa anas.. start w blackstar or maple springs...can always turn around..
    Trabuco to west horsethief cut off is not too much climbing n still fun...out n back..
    Dont sleep in..heat gonna be factor soon..

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    When comfortable rdin 3 plus hours w 2 3000 plus climbing.. then can unlock alot more in santa anas.. n san gab..

9. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    Whiting+Luge is definitely on the list, and something i'm familiar with.

New trails to try: Holy Jim to Trabuco, and Shady Canyon-Bommer Ridge

Thank all! Will report back in July

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nice...

If the Santa Anas are brand new for you, search around the forum. There are ride reports in there... I've done that route a few times recently, as well as the longer Harding to Trabuco. :thumbsup:

I'd also pick up a cheap bug net on Amazon. Holy Jim can be Holy Hell without one this time of year. :gag: Under $10, and mine stays on the bike at all times in its little carrying bag.

UPSed, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 7 others like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    With a month or two off, sounds like it's time for a road trip or two. You can ride local anytime. Take the opportunity to do some things you normally can't while working!

Faust29, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 7 others like this.
  12. xhuskr

xhuskr Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    Stevers,
    I have some time off this summer and know many of the trails mentioned. Oaks/Weir/IRP can also be fun. Hit me up!

Kevin

Faust29, UPSed, Fueledbyex8 and 7 others like this.
  13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    main divide in the summer can be brutal... some here love to suffer.. but the bugs.. the elevation.. the sun.. for me its just not that fun..
    Trabuco and Holy Jim downhills are all time favorites.. but the main divide btw holy jim and Trabuco is not flat...
    santa anas in the fall winter spring is probably the best riding around...

14. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    It's not really a couple months off, since new work can come in anytime. Besides, it's a hard sell to the wife. "Hey, I'm not making any more money now. I'll be back in a couple weeks." I am willing to drive out a couple hours if necessary, but feel like I haven't really explored everything that OC has to offer.

15. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    I will definitely post up in the trailhead! Though I am captain slow around here.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I may also join... And I like playing tour guide for the stuff I'm familiar with. :thumbsup:

xhuskr, UPSed, stevers and 2 others like this.
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have to say, I’ve never met a group of riders that enjoys climbing fire roads as much as this one. I get that you don’t always have a lot of choices but man, I do whatever I can to avoid fire roads....up or down. Probably why my car has so many miles.

Singletrack or die!!

tick, konakc, LLPoolJ and 9 others like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    To each their own...really. Climbing, for me (because I can only speak for me), is cathartic. It is a chance to just zone out and concentrate on the next pedal stroke. And heart rate. And a personal sense of achievement, since for me it's not about rocks and exposure on insanely fast descents. So whether I'm climbing a fire road, or a gravel/dirt access road (San Antonio Falls Rd to the Notch, por ejemplo) it's just fun. Climbing singletrack is also fun. Climbing asphalt can make me giddy, too. Coming back down is icing on my climbing cake. :cool:

UPSed, scan, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  19. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Fair enough. I don’t mind climbing. I actually enjoy it when I’m feeling good. I could have happily climbed 10 miles or more on that Boy Scout Trail in Wrightwood...100% singletrack through the shaded trees. It was beautiful and a great climb.

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I may do a lot of fire roads... it keeps me in shape to do more single track miles in one ride than a lot of guys do in a month.

UPSed, Old&InTheWay, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, that’s another anomaly of this group, the loonnggg rides you do on a regular basis. I’ve done 35 and 31 in one day (due to getting lost in Oregon & Palm Canyon) and I can’t remember ever doing more than 30 other than that. Our group rides are usually 18-20 with a few 25 mile days thrown in every one in a while. That’s enough for me most of the time. I do hope to do the Whiskey 30 next year though.

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    There is much to recommend the longer rides.

Faust29, mtnbikej and kioti like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    How dare you lump us all together in such a way. :eek: I proudly represent the "normal ride" segment of the mt. bike riding population. 3 hours*. Done. :thumbsup:

*(Not including prep time, drive time or lunch/social time. Not all buyers will qualify. No animals were harmed in the posting of this disclaimer. I am a paid actor. Your mileage may vary).

LLPoolJ, Faust29, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    And short ones, as well. :thumbsup:

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  25. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    @stevers, I've been meaning to ask.. is it "FUnemployment" or "FUNemployment?" Either way, sounds like you're off to a good start. :)

26. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    I think it depends on how much money you have saved up before you're out of work...

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Not all fireroads are created equal.

28. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I don’t always ride XC trails or climb fire roads, but when I do, it’s usually on a 160mm Megavalanche 26er.

Descending fire roads are a blast with 3 or 4 other riders who can make passes and keep it lively.

Voodoo Tom, Faust29, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm currently partial to Coal Canyon--up AND down. :thumbsup:

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What evdog said.

Your wife needs to know that you work your ass off when employed, this isn’t the season to explore OC, and you need to clean the attic with a trip to Downieville and White Mountain Peak, or somewhere like that while you have a chance. What kind of life partner will argue that unassailable logic? Oh, a job could show up any minute...maybe you better wait by the phone and not ride at all. :unsure:

Sleeping in??? Wtf, get out and fire projects worthy of a rare break in obligations. Now, if you actually want to stick around that’s a different problem.