Shimano 4-piston Brakes

Discussion in 'Brakes' started by JordanHMay, Apr 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Anyone here running any of the new Shimano XT or XTR 4-piston brake systems? The price between the two seem pretty comparable. Only a $20 difference at Jenson right now. I’ve run older XT and XTR but none of the new stuff.

I desperately need to replace the SRAM Level T brakes on my Chameleon. They work fine but aren’t enough brake for me it seems.

Trying to decide if the 4-piston brakes are worth the extra cost vs regular 2-piston. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jordan

Faust29, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Subscribed

shawndoh, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If you ride your mtb correctly - climbing mountains - you don't really need 4-piston brakes. :rolleyes:

~JB~, Mikie, Fueledbyex8 and 4 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have been using 2 piston XT brakes, 180F/160R and have not run into a situation where I wished I had more brake.
    I don't ride parks and I do not usually shuttle just for downhill.

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have Magura MT5 4 piston brakes and I love them. Mind you that I weigh 225 not geared up. Plus I planned on using this bike as a bikepacking rig and wanted the extra power.

6. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Coming off level T, you might dislike the modulation of the 2 piston XT's. Good stopping power, just hate the on/off feeling coming from level T. Some people love it but I couldn't get use to it. I ended up putting 4 piston Zee calipers on my M7000 levers to get better modulation.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You ride chainless too? Well I ride brakeless foo....!

8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    been running the same set of saint 810's for 7 years and they just will not die and perform flawlessly.

9. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    While I’m perfectly content with my 2 piston XT’s that are on all the bikes in the garage I wouldn’t hesitate in trying the new 4 piston brakes. Shimano stuff just works and is low maintenance and easier to work on at home.

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    If and when the Guides on my Hightower go bad.....I'll look into the XT 4-pots. I think they are too much for the Chameleon....at least for me. My SLX's work just fine.

Now for the tandem.....the Xt 4-pots might just be what I'm looking for to replace the old Magura Gustav's.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  12. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    After looking at a bunch of different brakes recently, I ended up buying a set of regular XTs. At $90 ea they are too good of a deal to pass up. I don't love XT, but they are the devil I know.

Danmtchl, UPSed, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Once I tried XT Ice Tech, I was spoiled forever. My new ride came with Sram and I hate everything about them except the modulation, to even include the brake fluid.

My XT's I love everything about them except the modulation, to even include the mineral oil brake fluid! Makes it so easy to work with. I can easily work with less modulation. But I also remedied my braking power by one uping my rear rotor size from 160 to 180. Now its 180 front and rear making it real easy to keep a rotor in stock. I weigh in geared up around 225 lbs. And there are those that can attest I am NOT easy on brakes.

I hesitate to go 4 piston as my Srams are 4 and I believe they do not modulate at the same rate. I believe it causes the horrible "turkey warble" sound that can resonate at times.
    But like @Voodoo Tom stated, Shimano is pretty bullet proof. Whatever they make has been thoroughly tested to include safety.
    4 piston is really going to have to prove itself before I will give up my Shimano 2 piston system.
    I hope this helps.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Shimano has been making 4 piston brakes for a while with the Saint and Zee brakes. As someone else mentioned, the XT 4-pot looks to be the Zee caliper with a XT lever. No sure how they feel as I have not run the Saints or Zee’s.

I know the people we got our tandem from put Saint’s on their new tandem. So they should be strong enough for most single bike.

Danmtchl, JordanHMay, rossage and 2 others like this.
  15. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    o_O

Mikie, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    This is where I was at a couple of months ago. I broke a part of my SLX brake lever and thought now would be a good time to upgrade to the new 4 piston XTs. While pricing them I came across some M8000 XTs for $70 a set. Couldn't pass that up. I'm 200 pounds and a late braker and have never had a problem with the regular XTs. Maybe I'll try the four piston set up on my next build?

17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Mikie, as you have discovered, upping the rear rotor gave your brakes more life and usefulness. Now, complete your journey to the Dark Side of The Force and up the front rotor to 203. My Remedy has XT M785s. Late last year, I jumped up the front from 180 to 203 and the increase in stopping power and stopping distance, and the decrease in break fade/squealing/overheating is notable.

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Larger rotors are also harder to keep true. And they are heavier.
    My Yeti 575 came with Juicy 3 brakes, 160 front and rear.
    Total POS, non-stopping, noise making, finger numbing junk.
    Tried to up the power with 180 rotors f/r. More power but worse noise. Went for a 203 up front and the forks shuddered and the brake whined but they still firmed up and stopped stopping.
    Worst brakes ever.
    Bigger rotors might help but you might run into peripheral problems. A well-designed brake set, including application specific rotors is best.
    I recommend Shimano and Magura based on my personal experiences with each brand.
    YMMV

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I ran Zee brakes on my Ibis for a few years. Good brakes, same easy bleed as other shimanos. Honestly I can't really tell a difference in performance. I had XTs on a couple other bikes, and put XTs back on the Ibis mainly so that I didn't have to bother with different types of pads. The XTs/XTRs use different shape pads than Zee/Saint. Got a great deal on the XTs, which was also part of the reason.

20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I run 180 rotors on both my bikes, but with the MT5 brakes its a noticeable difference from my Formula brakes on the Devinci.

I ran the original Shimano 755-756 4 piston brakes for a long time and they don’t compare to the Magura’s. I also ran 160 rotors then, so that maybe a contributing factor in the difference in power.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    IME, 180 rotors max on 32mm stanchions. Don't use 203s unless you've got at least 34mm stanchions otherwise your fork will become a "noodle" under breaking.

Mikie, herzalot, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  22. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Thanks for all the replies. Loving where this thread is going. Most likely I’ll be buying a set of XT brakes with 180 ice rotors. Seems like a good combo for the chameleon. It’ll save some of my cash for bars, Wolf tooth dropper remote, etc.

If I still had my Hightower, I’d probably pony up for some 4P brakes. Because why not.

Mikie, herzalot, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Couldn't agree more...

(No, really. No sarcasm. No jabs. The man speaks true.)

Edit: well, except it's "braking" but....

24. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    "Breaking" bad. o_O

25. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I do Not like my SRAM brake Sam I Am. They squeal, they warble, they are very difficult to adjust the brakes in any scenario. Replace the pads and I spend an hour adjusting and readjusting the calipers to NOT rub on the rotors. They use Dot brake fluid, yuk! Eats paint really well plus not environmentally friendly. I prefer mineral oil.

They do modulate really well though! :)

26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I think it had something to do with your modulation.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You've passed the test! :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If you ride uphill it doesn't matter. :whistling::laugh:

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I've swapped in Shimano rotors and am mostly happy. Still a slight warble in the back, but 90% improvement over SRAM/AVID. Those Centerlines were an effing joke and Santa Cruz should be embarrassed to spec them.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?