Tour de Palm Springs Fatality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Feb 14, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've done this ride with my son and a friend of his...

:unsure:

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2018/02/13/suspect-had-lenghty-history-speeding-reckless-driving-before-fatal-collision-tour-de-palm-springs-ri/334535002/
    Suspect had lengthy history of reckless driving before fatal Tour de Palm Springs crash
    Colin AtagiUpdated 9:04 a.m. PT Feb. 14, 2018
    Tour de Palm Springs cyclists struck by vehicle on Dillon Road, one dead.

The motorist accused of killing a Tour de Palm Springs bicyclist while driving 100 mph along the event route on Saturday had been pulled over three times last year for speeding on highways and city streets, according to Riverside County Superior Court records.

Ronnie Huerta Jr. also was convicted in 2016 and 2017 for other moving violations – including running a stop sign, talking on a cell phone while driving and making an unsafe lane change. His license was suspended on Dec. 4 due to negligent driving and failure to appear in court, according to the Associated Press.

RELATED: Suspect arrested in fatal collision with Tour de Palm Springs rider

The 21-year-old was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter following the death of bicyclist Mark Kristofferson, a 49-year-old resident of Lake Stevens, Washington, on Saturday. Kristofferson's fiancee, who was riding along with him, was seriously injured in the collision on Dillon Road in Indio Hills. She was airlifted to Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs.

Huerta was released from jail after posting $75,000 bail. He's tentatively scheduled to be arraigned in Riverside County Superior Court April 11, according to jail records.

636538799306844986--MG-3830.JPG
    Riders say safety measures wouldn't have prevented fatal collision

The speed limit on I-10 is 70 mph and on Palm Drive it is 55 mph, according to court records.

Authorities said Huerta didn't appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol Saturday, but toxicology results are still pending.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I hope them send him to the firing squad.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Futile hopes my friend.

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Unreal. Stunned. Saddened.

Humans are the best and worst things that have ever lived.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :unsure:

CHP Officer Radford about the crash... “I don’t call crashes accidents. This is a perfect example. Someone made poor choices, driving recklessly, way too fast. And the outcome is a tragic one where someone died.”

6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am actually surprised that his bail was only $75K. He is a multi/repeat-offender and now his actions have claimed a life. To me that is worth millions in bail.

BigTex, DangerDirtyD, HBkites and 8 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Not to mention that he's already "failed to appear" in court at least once in the past. What a piece of garbage.

BigTex, DangerDirtyD, HBkites and 8 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    To hit someome on Dillon Rd, you almost have to be trying to do it on purpose. This guy should not have been able to post bond with a prior FTA.

Unfortunately he'll probably get a relatively light slap on the wrist.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thoughts for the families and friends of the fallen riders.

DangerDirtyD, HBkites, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is how you get away with murder in the US. Just use your car on a pedestrian/cyclist.

This is horrifying. This ******* needs to do serious time. :mad:

May family, friends and all those impacted in the cycling community find some peace in their faith. :(

DangerDirtyD, HBkites, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    California will protect him, cuzzzzz its California. Don't you know its not his fault? He is misguided and needs help and people who do bad things had a bad child life and they are not responsible. It's societies fault. Try to hold someone accountable in California of his stature...
    This is a real tragedy. Mikie no likey.

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Personally, I think he would look good with a hole in his forehead.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Sh!t driving is totally acceptable in this culture. No one bats an eye at going 80 MPH on the freeway, or running stop signs, or any number of things they shouldn't do.

I imagine few here follow the speed limit...

How is that different than any other state?

14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm not exactly sure we want to get in to a conversation about how California protects perpetrators, do we? :whistling::)

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It's all too easy to misdirect frustration and anger in the wake of something like this. @Sidewalk, you nailed it in two sentences. This could (sadly, does), happen in every state.

Until there's a sea change in driving attitudes in the US, I'm sticking to the dirt.

16. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    My road crew (OCVelo) were on the scene a few minutes after (before the emergency crew), and they witnessed the carnage and live-saving attempts.
    I was supposed to be on that ride with them but ended visiting my daughter instead.

That is one of the fastest stretches of road I know of. Stright, with a slight downhill and tailwind. 35+mph speed is common. Definitely the "highlight" of the ride.
    That murderer has no excuses. Whatever issue he was dealing with cost two people big time. I have no mercy on him. Hopefully, he'll become someone's bitch in prison.

17. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
  18. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Already a failure to appear. He's out on bail... this sick fuch is already in Mexico, regardless if it's his home country or not. I'd bet this fugger never shows up in court.

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    How can you even post bail as a repeat offender doing 100 miles per hour and killing someone?

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Loose interpretation of the 8th amendment: "Excessive bail shall not be required..."

People also howl about no bail being allowed in drug cases, on the other end of the spectrum.

mtnbikej, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think this judge messed up, and the D.A. should be screaming bloody murder about it.
    But that whole collegiality relationship thing among officers of the court is squashing that.

22. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I would think that a current FTA would be reason enough to deny bail on felony charges. Not excessive if you have proven you won't appear.

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    For some reason... This one is REALLY working me....:bang::mad::(:cry:

The Scene...
    huerta.murder.site.jpg

pic.of.tour.crash.jpg

TS-BicycleCrash.jpg

Our Buddy Huerta...
    Huerta-Booking-With-Background.jpg

24. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Question, struggling to put the words together right. It seems to me that when a tragedy happens the bad guy gets the attention. The victim and their family get pushed aside rather quickly. Why is that? Things like this have been happening since the beginning of time and will continue til the end of it. My point I think is. We need to focus more on the victims and helping them get moving again. The criminals don't deserve any attention they live shitty lives anyway. The system will handle the justice part weather it's to the extent you want it to or not. It's pretty much proven that death penalty or not people will still do stupid Sh!t.

25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Adding to this, some criminals are looking for the attention. Why give it to them. I don't think that was the case in this incident. Just think he was an irresponsible a hole.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I agree....after the Vegas shooting, CNN Anchors refuses to refer to the shooter by name, as he did not deserve the attention.

27. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It was about this time last year when a cyclist got hit in my home province. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/ellen-s-law-legislation-introduced-1.3986590

The good news was that it precipitated a new one metre law requiring motorists to provide adequate space.

But, hard to enforce...I've had a few close calls, on bike, jogging, walking the dog....

Then of course many people complained about cyclists and how they feel they don't have to adhere to traffic rules yadda yadda. Many proclaimed bikes should be registered vehicles, insured and other nonsense.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I am in no way defending the piece of garbage who killed the cyclist, but I want you take a close look at this shot, on Dillon Road, from the 2011 TdPS. Notice anything wrong???

tour-de-palm-springs.jpg

Yeah, that. It's like that on every TdPS. Roadies (and I'm one of them, but not one of them) really need to get their sh!t together, or they're gonna get shut out of roads like this. See: https://www.bicycling.com/culture/t...nts-to-tax-every-cyclist-who-visits-the-state

Read the whole thing. Yes, there are people in power who think this way.

Mikie, HBkites, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That stretch of road was one of the best parts of the ride... 40+ on the downhills. Sad... :(

That's my son on my first Schwinn at the 30 second mark. He recently asked me if there were any centuries coming up that we could do. :(

kioti, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I can’t even imagine what the family members and injured are going through, as well as those who witnessed it and the aftermath. Tragic in more ways than words can describe.

We should fly a bicycle specific flag at places like Oaks/Luge/etc that honors our fallen fellow riders.

kioti, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 6 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?