Avid Centerline 180mm

Discussion in 'Rotors' started by Mikie, Oct 4, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Now I'm quoting myself. The more this thread pops up the more I remember all the headaches these brakes have caused me. Jennifer had Elixirs on her 3 month old Stumpy. Only a handful of rides and the rear failed. Thankfully it was at the trailhead and not on the ride. I always pump up the brakes before I take off and when I did hers the lever felt dead. Sure enough you squeeze it and nothing. Thankfully we were down the street from JRA and we were able to get the bike in and have the brakes bled. Ride saved. Needless to say XTs were ordered as soon as I got home.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have AVID brakes on all my bikes... just sort of worked out that way. Planning on putting on XT/SLX some day, but my Juicy and Elixir brakes will not die. I have had some problems with turkey warble, and then a weird resonance thing that was actually a q/r hub engagement problem but otherwise I can't say anything bad.
    Pretty low maintenance as well. That other conversation was just before Hell Ride last year... good timing!

Danmtchl, Oaken and Mikie like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Stock Shimano SLX brakes with $25 RT-66 rotors. Resin pads (obviously not the originals). 3,300 miles, not one bleed and no noise. 'Nuff said. :cool:

Danmtchl, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have the stock Magura MT6 180/160mm on my XC bike. The lever feel isn't the greatest, especially in the parking lot test. But they work pretty well in an actual race. I'd love to get Ultimates, but budget.
    I have RSC 180/160mm on my old 130mm bike. I had the stuck lever thing on the rear, fixed it myself though.
    I have R 203/180mm on my Enduro, love them. I love the modulation of the Guides. I really don't care about noise (only happens when they get wet), bottom of my list of concerns. Modulation though is fantastic. Coming from motorcycle racing, that's a big deal!

I demo'ed a bike with XTR, hated them. Demo'ed a bike with Deore, they were fine, but didn't really impress me either.

I don't try to convince others on this issue though. I recommend people just use what they prefer.

5. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Have Sram giude ultimates on the Bronson had the sticky lever issue (replaced under warranty about 1 yr in) other than that they've been true, quiet, very effective brakes, rain or shine dry or wet, I've only run organic so far, thousand miles on them, including multiple fast runs down Motorway Luge San Juan TnA, Meadows, Stair Step.. you name it.

Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule, that's said I always love my Shimano brakes, if I was building from scratch that's probably what I put on.

That said got to run what you like... And what you trust.

EDIT: Oh and the centerline rotor... personally its been perfectly fine.. but I always liked the Shimano Rotor build composite in the center, seems like it would stay true, though that said I have not had to true the Centerline but I did have a number of out of true issues with Shimano Rotors.

6. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I appreciate your post. My Hightower made the same obnoxious noise this past weekend and since I had 29'r wheel set on order I was able to upgrade the rotors to Shimano XT SM-RT 86 Ice-tech. If these rotors work out well then I will swap out my existing rotors on my 27+ wheel set as well.

Danmtchl and Voodoo Tom like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    On my Chameleon, I have two wheelsets. I took the 180mm Centerline off the stock rear wheel where it was causing the entire bike to shudder, and moved it to the front of my second wheelset. These do fine in front IMHO. I have Shimano RT81/86 rotors on the rear. The 80 series of Shimano rotors plays well with SRAM/AVID calipers & pads. I still get an occasional resonance, but it goes away fast.
    YMMV of course.

Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom and UPSed like this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have used Avid rotors with Formula RX1 brakes with never a problem for 2.5 years. I have mixed and matched rotors and mostly Formula brakes for years with little to no problems.

I just put Ultracycle rotors on my Kona with MT5 brakes and they are by far the best setup I have used. I can mix and match my wheels with no brake problems whatsoever.

Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?