Source Outdoor Hipster 1.5L

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by muni, Sep 30, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Got this last week and love it. When I started mountain biking I needed 2.5L of water for a 3 hour ride. Now I'm down to 1L for 2 hour ride, which getting in shape really helped. This helped me ditch the backpack and go much smaller. It holds 1.5L water, has straps so the pack doesn't droop down or move around. Weight and center of gravity is much lower for downhill.

Few items I carry in the pack are keys, iphone, bear spray(you never know), pump or co2, 2 sheets of paper towel and some duct tape. All my tools/tube are on the bike as previously posted. No longer carry food/snacks because of Tailwind.

hipster-hydration-belt.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sm_n_s...ua4EYFNCHOk.vBKPQ&slotNum=0&tag=imtbtrails-20

Also those of you needing something bigger, found a 3L hip pack. https://henty.cc/shop/enduro-backpack/

Mikie, mtnbikej, kioti and 9 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I can't.... I just... can't... :oops:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'll admit, my wife has a Dakine fanny pack for hiking; on road rides and shorter loops (el prieto,) I'll usually use that rather than my 3 liter backpack.
    I'm not sure about those strap though. Kind of reminds me of the "manzier."

Mikie, HBkites, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  4. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Straps come off, but anything over .7l, the pack will slide down. You can’t tighten the belt, just elastic. There are a few fanny packs that have hydration systems but most of them are not comfortable. Reason you load up on water you have to cinch the belt tight so it doesn’t move around. Not comfortable when you have a beer belly. I really like this one because the straps off load the weight. They are elastic and just jumping around with 1.5l is not bad at all. I have the black one with neon straps.

Mikie, mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I had a fanny pack phase. It kept getting heavier and heavier until I realized I needed some starps for stability and support. Oh yeah, that's called a Camelbak, etc...

Mikie, mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Tough crowd here! I used to use a fanny pack in my cross country skiing days... And occasionally toy with the idea on the bike.

Mikie, mtnbikej, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've got one of these for ultra running:
    https://www.nathansports.com/hpl-020-hydration-backpack-5025n

I want to try it on the MTB...but I'm afraid of damaging it in a wreck. But it carries the water really low on your back, it is very light, and very adjustable. The pockets up front are great since you can keep things within reach without having to stop. I carry most everything I can on the bike itself (pump, tube, tools, etc) so I don't need a lot of spare room.

8. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I wear a fanny pack every day around town. I'd be lost without it.

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Not at the beach, though!

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I bought one of these and after a couple rides gave it to CJ. She likes it, but she does not carry tools, tube, etc… Just emergency info like drivers license, Kaiser card, credit card, and some cash.

Im not sure why people are down on hip packs they are vastly becoming more popular.

mike, Faust29 and mtbMike like this.
  12. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    That's all I wear. I have (2) different sizes based on the length of the ride. I still have an Osprey Raptor 14 but would only entertain wearing it if I was doing a all day backcountry type ride and needed to carry a jacket, pads, a bunch of food, etc...

mike, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

No hip packs.

maybe it harkens back to my roadie days, but I’ll overload my jersey pockets before I’ll consider wearing my Camelbak.

Mikie, mike, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've been using mine more... All of my bigger loops lately have been with the Camelbak hip pack. I usually have a bottle on the bike and a frozen bottle in the pack. I have the 50 ounce bladder, but have never used it...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?