The problem with being a high mileage rider...

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Sidewalk, Jul 21, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Is people think you've got bad luck, when statistics say otherwise.

Finishing up our group ride last night, crossing the road at the crosswalk that links the trail network and a guy came to a stop IN the crosswalk, instead of before it. Clipped my rear wheel and sent me spinning to the ground. Pure luck that I think there is no damage to the bike (I think the tire took the hit), and besides being sore with a few scrapes, I'm fine.

We told the guy to pull over into the gas station on the corner, but he fled. Didn't have time to get a license plate or anything. I just wanted insurance info in case the bike was damaged.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yikes! Glad you are ok. Hope your bike is too.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    And that is why people suck.

4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I didn't even notice fresh paint damage. But the problem with crashing a lot is, I have a lot of scrapes on my frame :)

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thankfully it wasn't far worse, and you're able to come tell us about it...

And yes, people suck. Distracted careless people suck even more. :thumbsdown:

6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I was recently hit on the freeway in my truck by a careless driver. Pretty sure he thought about running, but he didn't. I got his insurance info and went on our way.

I looked at the damage, decided it wasn't worth pursuing. He was obviously in a borrowed car, coming off a shift in construction. I'm hoping that if he either learned to chill, and if it happens again to pull over.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wow, glad you dodged a bullet in this hit-and-run accident.

Nothing to do with the amount of mileage, it's where the mileage is. Dirt = safety

BonsaiNut, DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    This was a mountain bike ride :(

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I dunno.....I have had more close calls with autos out on Main Divide than on the streets. :eek:

10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    If anything, I would say this is lesson in not letting your guard down. This is very much along the lines of most car accidents occurring near the home. I was at the end of the ride, on a relative high as it was a good ride (several good enduro style descents on camera), and lost situation awareness.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I wonder how many hit/runs on cyclists have happened on MD. But sure, not many blind corners on paved streets...

Damned if you do or don't! Suckage is tough to avoid.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I thought you said the guy clipped your rear wheel. When I re-read it it seems maybe you clipped him (with your low situational awareness confession above). Then in another thread you said you got hit by a car.

13. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    The car entered the crosswalk he was crossing and clipped the bikes rear wheel. Guy was a little late coming to a stop. Been other incidents on this corner. Very busy street with lots of knuckleheads including us.

Faust29, mike and Sidewalk like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I definitely wish I had my camera running at the time. Since the ride was over I didn't need to conserve battery anymore, so it should have been rolling :(

He hit me, if he would have stopped behind the limit line nothing would have happened. But so many people insist on NOT stopping behind the limit line (especially on right turns) that if you happen to be there when they fail to stop where they are supposed to, you get hit. As JJ mentions, this is an accident prove street and people tend to run the red lights often here. Lots of fatalities on this road. But the trail network on both sides is a great ride, and the final trail we ride on that said has an awesome flow that always leaves you feeling satisfied.

I am NOT a knucklehead! I am totally level needed and rational!

15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I am NOT a knucklehead! I am totally level headed and irrational![/QUOTE]

Fixed

Faust29 and mike like this.
  16. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Definitely need to be aware on the crossings here. I am guilty of not be defensive here a time or 2.

mike likes this.
  17. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    The light was solid red. Our white walk signal to cross was already turned to a flashing 30 sec countdown, before our back wheels were in the crosswalk, since we were chatting on the corner. It just turned dark and only 1 of us had lights (Josh, the one who got hit), out of 4 total riders. Distracted driver?

So far, everyone I've gotten a ride with, has used their cell phone while driving. As a passenger, I have the freedom to be a creep and look at other car goers, especially in slow/stopped traffic, and... let's just say, it's fair to say I'm not being overly cynical when I state that a vast majority of other drivers and passengers are doing this.

Also, see the bystander effect. I know, after personally witnessing this collision from about 10 feet behind, I have thought up of a plan of what to do next time (non-violent). I got cameras ready now.

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    FYI, after cleaning up the bike I noticed fresh blue paint on my chainstay and skewer. I don't know of any blue rocks at Sycamore.

Carbon is still solid. I got lucky. Soft bumpers and light rider/bike combo probably helps.

19. I loath riding on streets. I hate it so much for this reason as an example. Glad you are ok. F the car driver.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I really hate driving, so street riding becomes necessary.

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My take on this...

You got hit while riding across an intersection. Street riding.

I've got well over 9,000 miles on the road. Never been hit; never come close to being hit. Except when I was a chucklehead in high school but we won't discuss that as it's not relevant. :whistling:

I have about 4,500 miles in the dirt. I've taken several spills with varying minor injuries. I've never broken a bone, or had to go to the emergency room/hospital or be airlifted.

From this limited, obviously empirical dataset, I'd say that mountain biking is much more dangerous than road biking. o_O:cool::rolleyes:

Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Our world is going down the crapper at an accelerated rate. It seems that there is a hit-n-run report on the news daily now. :thumbsdown:

ausace likes this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Is that because there are more of them, or because we have a 24/7 news cycle to fill and this is news?? Inquiring minds want to know...o_O

Sidewalk and SnakeCharmer like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I think it is because we are early releasing criminals who should remain behind bars. It's not just the hit-n-run reports, all aspects of crime are skyrocketing.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    The data doesn't support that. We are better off now then in pretty much all of human history. America is safer now then all of American history. Crime is down everywhere (hotspots don't count) even if we do have an over populated prison system.

This

26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I couldn't disagree more. I come from a law enforcement family so that data and info has been force fed to me my entire life.

I can say without a doubt that crime has increased dramatically where I am in the North County. Burglaries, home intrusions, and business robberies are all too common now. We have (or had?) one of the better police forces around the Northern County that, until recent years, did a great job of keeping the dirt out of the community. Now, the gang bangers in the Southern County are sending multiple teams up here to stake places out and hit them a short time later. One team gets nailed and the other teams score and escape. It's incredible. Heck, my wife was at OSH today when a grab and dash occurred. She saw the whole thing. Multiple Sheriff cars arrived in a matter of seconds (not exaggerating) but the crooks had a car waiting outside and they were long gone by then. That sort of thing NEVER happened here before two years ago. Crime is so blatant these days. The crooks don't care if you see them or if they are recorded. o_O

Don't even ask how I would go about handling criminals if I was in charge attempting to end crime once and for all. :whistling:

Rant over. :mad:

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The next time someone tells you property isn't worth a life, chortle and disagree.

When property crimes caused the perpetrator to be maimed or killed they were MUCH less common. ;)

We, as a society, have lost our will to stop this kind of thing. Here in the People's Republic anyway.:thumbsdown:

ausace likes this.
  28. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @Sidewalk I read through this thread certain someone would mention a sore butt. I’m glad you’re still alive!

29. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    It's a short list.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Regarding butts or your life?

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?