The Path Bike Shop, Live Oak (Trabuco Cyn) and Tustin

Discussion in 'Local Bike Shop Reviews' started by mike, Jun 2, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    These guys and gals have taken care of all our LBS needs for a half-dozen years.

New bikes, upgrades, service, info, advice, parts, accessories, take-off deals, quick repairs, fixing my fckups, ride partners, demos, rentals, burgers, beer. Been bailed out on spur-of-moment more times than I can recall, and they back up what they sell and work on.

No exemplary employees to cite, because all IME are competent and expert in one or more areas of cycling and outdoor adventure. Owned and run by local riders.

Danimal, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  2. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Plus one. I am in The Path Frequent Buyer Club. Thank goodness that my wife is cool. "Oh that bike... ummm yes, it's for our son (who hasn't lived at home for four years)." I won't again talk about how I agreed on a price on a Bronson build, but then they called me and lowered the price because there was a sale coming up (oops, I did). Quite frankly, I buy from them because they turn around my bikes so quickly when I take them in for service. They fix my fixes and don't laugh at my mechanical mistakes. Before they take the bikes in for service, they make sure that a quick fix won't solve the problem. Haven't ridden with them... unless you call Mo sneaking up behind you at night in the pitch black and howling like a coyote and scaring the cr*p out of you and then disappearing "riding with them."

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Double plus! I've done some boneheaded things on the bike, to the bike, around the bike, etc. But, they usually get me back up and running without too much fuss... Sometimes as a walk-in. My last bike purchase was there, and I never got the high pressure sales feeling. A feeling that I have experienced at other shops... The final choice was down to two bikes, one of them being about double the price of the other. My wife doesn't know much about the hardware, and she was steering me towards the more expensive carbon model. That's hard pressure to resist, but they knew which one was the better fit for me... Probably saw me grinning from ear to ear on the steel steed.

I usually deal with Dean, but I have no issues talking to whomever is there, and have talked to just about all of them at the Live Oak location, and never had a problem... Good group of guys and gals. :thumbsup:

Danimal, littlewave, saki and 3 others like this.
  4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    My go-to shop for sure (Live Oak in particular). I had a couple year old dropper post (that I got second hand) serviced there a couple times, and they said, ya know what, there's something wrong, let me see what I can do'. I walked out with a new dropper at minimal cost.

And almost every time I go in there I get in a long discussion about the conditions of the local mountain trails, new ones to try, what to watch out for. They've ridden them all it seems. And they always take time to talk and give advice. Love the Path Live Oak!

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yup - The Path Live Oak is a great shop. I've only been there once, but the vibe, personal service and selection were top notch. Easier pace than the Tustin store too. I felt like I was in some exotic mountain location in British Columbia.

The Path Tustin - they have everything. I have always been amazed at what they stock. Need obscure stuff, they probably have it, and in different colors too. Headsets, shock springs, bearings and hardware - yup, in stock. Great prices too. Very busy store, and high turnover in most staff - a few hardcore stalwart employees.

The Path Live Oak - I've only been in there once. Last Sunday while my buddy Scott demo'd bikes. They were GREAT. Laid back, welcoming vibe. Great stuff in stock and no showing off by the employees. They were interested in the customer - not in one-upping. They didn't have one of the bikes Scott had pre-arranged to demo (it was at the Tustin store) so they comped both bikes he tried. I will give them my business and steer people their way - which is WAAAAAAY out of the way for most people.

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Tim has been great. He really listens and wants to fix the problem ASAP. He's also down-to-earth, an amazing rider and I always feel inspired after talking to him.

(Moved from The Rules thread.)

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I don't know anyone at the Path by name. I've been there several times - probably 10 all told - but not often because it's not next door. It's a jaunt down Interstate 5 and the trip just ain't that fun. The times I've been there they've been helpful, and I've usually found what I'm after for a reasonable price. What else could one ask?

-ROCKY-, Faust29, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Have bought few frames from the Tustin location in the past. Usually use them for small parts....spokes/cables/DU bushings, etc. Haven't bought anything I had to order...til last week. We'll see how that goes.

I know alot of people like the vibe there. Seems like some of the staff is on top of it, seems like other staff are clueless. Plus, since I don't go in that often, it's hard to know who the staff is, and who are customers...especially on busy days.

Also had a few warranty issues that didn't go so great.

However, the guys that are on their game there, know their Sh!t.

Again, these are just my experiences.

9. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Been going to the Tustin location for about 15 years although I do a lot of my own wrenching and building. Yesterday's experience mirrored almost all of the many, many that I've had. Problem with brakes that I didn't feel like elucidating and repairing. Dispatched quickly and perfectly by their staff. Purchased untold numbers of frames, forks and parts from them over the years and always at prices that were fair AFAIWC.

-ROCKY-, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  10. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Wondering how Tani's tap beer license is going for Live Oak.

Dean not kidding

Mikie, mike, saki and 2 others like this.
  11. saki

saki Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    bill sakatani
    Dean what's on tap ?. This is genuis

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  12. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    The Path knocked it out of the park for me again by building a custom fat bike wheel in which they needed to locate specially cut 12 gauge spokes and arrange them in an atypical manner. Looks like it could survive Armageddon.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    With that description, we need pictures!

DangerDirtyD, fos'l, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  14. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    You won't like them since it'll be on the so called e-chariot, but I'll post them anyway in a few days. The "bike" seems like pretty much of a "yawner" for this hard-riding crowd.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @fos'l !
    You crack me up brothah! Bring on the pics! :sneaky::thumbsup:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and fos'l like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Take into the Floop!

fos'l and Mikie like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Three weeks off the bike eating junk food and sitting on the couch... I'm about ready for an e-bike. :whistling:

da big hills, fos'l and Mikie like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the boxes, guys!

@Faust29, not buying a word of it. You got the gene.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  19. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Okay; did I tell you that art is not a passion of mine?

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Nice....but is it me or are all the spokes bent? or just not tensioned yet?

Mikie likes this.
  21. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    J, you don't need your eyesight checked for awhile; got a little tighter.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Your Minion is too big...

Oh and glad you had a great experience at the shop and they were willing and able to diagnose and fix the problem on the spot. Easy peasy. :thumbsup::cool:

-ROCKY-, UPSed and Faust29 like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Glad you're up and running! Which shop did you go to, Tustin or Live Oak?

25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I was actually wondering if that skinny Minion was going on a gravel bike or something.

Glad you got your bike sorted @Cornholio.

-ROCKY-, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Mr. 27.5 up there has size envy when you start talking about 29 x 2.5 tires. :laugh:

28. Did I tell you how the Path live oak got this 20" kona birthday present on order and ready for me on a tight time line? They did. And they also met a price that made the purchase possible. Then at pick up, Switched out the stem to a 40mm chromag I carried in 1o min before closeing on a Friday?

Thanks to the crew

IMG_7101.JPG

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great photo, Dusty – nice dad work, man. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Once again, kudos to The Path. They take care of me no matter where I happen to be, or how unreasonable the need. Lots of inventory means, usually, no wait. Always a nice price and fast shipping. Even in-person delivery if you happen to be near InterBike. :) Thanks to Brian, Dean and everybody at Live Oak and Tustin. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

-ROCKY-, mtnbikej, littlewave and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?