Alternate Trail to Camarillo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by no worries, Jun 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Walking the 100' at the top of Camarillo is bumming me out. What's an alterative route down to Stagecoach from Lizards? Looking at the map below it seems like I would need to continue north on Serrano Ridge to West Canyon Trail. Then down to Stagecoach North, under the 133, and then back under again to Stagecoach South? There's a bit there at the entrance, between the two Stagecoaches, that looks to be hiking only though.

I can get to the Willow parking lot fairly easily from home, so my favorite route is up Willow, along Fenceline, then across Lizards (which is just so awesome right now). I tried climbing back up and across to TNA, which was great until the last third of TNA which I also had to walk. I saw Big Bend head down but I think that's just boring loose fire trail?

Nothing wrong with walking, I know, I know. Any thoughts on a good intermediate route from Lizards?

Thanks!

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't know an alternate route, but I will encourage you to keep trying small bits of Camarillo that are giving you problems. Maybe watch a few people's lines and emulate them. I get it though. I've been riding for over 25 years and I celebrate if I clean the entire section. Someone has built a very rideable inside line for the first chunky right turn, then I noticed an outside line over a rock on the next significant right hander that has that hole in it on the normal line. The ride-over rock is left of the hole/slot.

Do you have a dropper post and are you comfortable with your pedals?

HBkites, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

Its bike trail as well, you can ride between north and south Stagecoach(s)

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You can take West Canyon from Serrano all the way down....then go under the 133 to Nix, then pick up Stagecoach from there. All the hiking only stuff is on the other side of the 133 where the Greenbelt Reserve is.

At the bottom of Lizard is Laurel Springs....that is hiking only.....but cuts through to Stagecoach at about the intersection of El Toro/LC Road.

HBkites, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I think it is good to have a trail nemesis. I have beaten many in the past but there are many more in my future.
    Since you seem to ride it often, use it as a gauge of your fitness and technical skills.
    Watch someone else ride it but don't just watch their line, watch their body positioning and movement also.

HBkites, Faust29, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  6. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Saw the new high line on the right at the first tough corner. It does look doable (by me), although definitely need to check speed for the quick left afterwards. It's the final right hander that is certainly above my level right now. The 'dirt' line has a concave section 2/3 of the way through that just traps wheels, even my big old 29er. The rock that creates the hole isn't going anywhere :) I did see the left line one might take, but it's basically over a boulder!

I've walked it a few times now and never seen another rider coming down. In fact I don't think I'd seen another rider in my previous seasons either; it's not a very common route, I don't think. If anyone has some footage of themselves clearing it, please share!

Here's a video of mine (from last year, I think) where there was lots more dirt. It's the first 25 seconds or so. (click through to youtube to put it in HD, this was an old Gopro)

Cyclotourist, jimbowho, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    ^^^ looks like you did all the hard stuff with pace, living up to your screen name @no worries! Granted, it's a lot more choppy now with the variety of traffic and this winter's rains taking away some dirt. You've got this!

8. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Agreed you look like you have plenty of bike control. Keep working on it by the way we have in the past referred to to that corner at ... "That Corner" ... Yup I speak the truth.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I haven't been down Camarillo since around Xmas....so I have seen how bad it is. It was always a little tricky but totally disable.

littlewave likes this.
  10. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I've cleaned it before. I cannot clean it in its current state. Guess it's time to go try again!

HBkites, no worries and herzalot like this.
  11. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Its definitely a bit harder than it was but doable / you have to have a little commit going...,especially if you don't take the new cheat line.
    Socal Scale
    J-Zilla Scale 5.5
    Normal Joe Scale 7.5

Daddy Dirtbag and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Ok.....so yesterday I got my first look at Camarillo since early December.

Rolled into it, I was expecting armageddon.

Took the outside/original line....didn't seem any worse than it was in December. I did see the cheater line on the inside.

We would actually hit Camarillo again later in the ride. 2nd time.....same as the first.....no issues.

A couple of other spots seemed more beat up than before, but it was all rideable without dabbing.

I will say that you cannot just try to plow through it. You definitely have to pick your way through it. Slow and technical moves as opposed to point and shoot.

Still as fun as it ever was. :thumbsup:

HBkites, bvader, MattB and 4 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    We don't all have your Ninja skills and supreme confidence in tight corners. ;)
    What's easy for you would be a major triumph for more than a few of us! :notworthy: (<<<that's allegedly a "not-worthy" bowing emoji. I don't see it.)

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I always thought that emoji was pulling his underwear over his head... Zenforo was an improvement in many areas. Emoji choice was not one of them...

I was close enough going into the turns to see him, and he really wasn't going that slow... It was pretty fluid. :notworthy:

HBkites, herzalot, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  15. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I have cleaned that right turn many times but some mental block as of late has me dabbing. I keep picturing my wheel dropping in the crack and a big otb on the face.

HBkites, MattB, bvader and 5 others like this.
  16. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Just a heads up they did some work on this trail and filled in all the big holes around the rocks. I cleaned the whole trail pretty easy today.

Faust29, HBkites, no worries and 5 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My "like" was more of a "thank you for telling me." I certainly do not like simplifying trails.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    It is simpler but it’s more like it was when it first opened. I think the hole will open up in no time.

Faust29, HBkites, littlewave and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?