Wahoo Fitness Elemnt bike computer / GPS

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by StrandLeper, Mar 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Worked perfectly on Wednesday. As my HRM battery died, I was toggling through other screens while riding. The actual buttons are so much better than touch screen. Such a positive engagement when you click... not worries about gloves. I keep it on the bike and don't bother charging until every other ride or so. Supposed 17 hour battery life from what I recall. The climbing screen is kind of fun. The display is so crisp that you don't have to look at it... I just keep it in my peripheral vision.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  2. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    still digging it!

3. code3

code3 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    Necro Bump Alert!

For people who are still looking for alternatives to garmin, Wahoo has just released a new model the Elemnt Bolt. It appears to have most of the same features as the original Elemnt, but is a little smaller in size, and is priced about $100 cheaper. I have one ordered, but most places seem to be back ordered and I'm still waiting for it to come in.

After I get it in my hands and spend some time with it, I'd be happy to write a review from a GPS newbie perspective if anyone is interested.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Please do. Alternatives are always appreciated.

5. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Interesting. Please. Still digging my Wahoo Elemnt. So intuitive. The segments section is really interesting. If you are on a Strava segment, it gives you your running time against your PR. I don't often use it but did last week on a boring climb - and it made that boring climb fun.

6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Anyone used both the Elemnt and the Bolt? My wife bought me the Elemnt (it costs more so she thought it was "better") but I am debating getting the Bolt instead since it's smaller and have read it really doesn't lack much from its big brother. Just no lights on the left side, the screen is smaller and a little less battery life is all. She bought it at REI so I can use the Elemnt and return it no problem if I want the smaller version. I've never used a bike computer so zero experience with them, I've always just run a phone/gps in my pack until my ride is over.

@StrandLeper and @code3 any updates?

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  7. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    @Cornholio , I would keep the premium version unless the cost difference is super meaningful. Haven't tried the bolt, but I love my Elemnt. Plug and play. Automatic software updates. Amazingly clear screen. Customizable screens (that are easy to customize). My only gripe is that my phone used to sometimes "unpair" randomly. The only big deal with that is that text messages don't pop up on the elemnt when that occurs. Hasn't happened in awhile, so they must have fixed that in a software update.

Every time you recharge in a wifi area and turn it on, it updates (basically).

Your phone tells u when u need to recharge the unit. It has never run out of juice - even on death marches.

Love the mounts too.

8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Does this look kosher? Never had a computer on any of my bikes.

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

dustyyoungblood and Faust29 like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You're about to enter the world of Geekdom... and there is no turning back.

I've run them in that position, but prefer either a stem mount or a stem cap mount. As long as it's solid, it's rider preference...

Do you have it on a leash in case it comes loose? Mine has saved me a few times.

10. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I do not have a leash but was thinking about that, I'll have to buy or rig something.

I wanted to mount it on the stem but it was awkward with the shape/size of mine. Maybe a stem cap mount if I decide to keep this one.

Hoping to ride this weekend to test it out and will add my review here. I almost returned it for the Bolt but since my wife bought it at REI I figured I'd run it and if the size doesn't bother me I'll keep it. Just messing around my driveway the weight didn't seem noticeable but I need to see how it goes while riding. Kind of like the bigger screen.

11. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Here are my two mounts. I prefer the mount on the pivot, but it doesn't work well with fatter bars. Should work well with yours. IMG_6298.JPGIMG_6299.JPG

12. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    A few better pics of this particular mount.

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

mtnbikej and Cornholio like this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    ^Thanks! I'll have to put that mount on and see how it goes, when I first held it up it seemed to be a little far back towards me. Guess I won't know until I actually try it but this is exactly what I was looking for when I posted my question so thanks for the feedback/intel guys. :thumbsup:

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I would mount it in the left side and have it center over the stem. Look around, they may have a shorter versions of that mount.

If the mount is the same as Garmin, SRAM also makes a shorty mount.

Cornholio likes this.
  15. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:

I wanted to mount it that way as well - but the way the unit twists on and off the mount prevented that angle.

U r welcome @Cornholio - any questions in the future, don't hesitate to reach out.

mtnbikej likes this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You could also back off the money bring screw a 1/4-1/2 turn...this would allow you to pull the mount up far enough to mount/unmount the head unit then push it back down. Since it sits over the stem, it really won't move around when you ride.