TCA toll roads, at it again

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by dustyyoungblood, May 8, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie, Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Man, I thought they were stopped with the whole SanO thing.
    Where can we see all these proposals?

Mikie and dustyyoungblood like this.
  3. Mikie likes this.
  4. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Where can I find the maps that show where the proposed route will affect Ladera?

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  5. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
  6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Right, Surfrider's fault...o_O

Mikie and Rumpled like this.
  7. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    There are building homes.
    They will have to build roads.
    Driving trough San Clemente is a nightmare at times.
    There is virtually no real wilderness in OC. We "lost" that battle long time ago.

Moving to a more remote regain is becoming a real option for me (once I retire).

Bentonville AR?

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Idea 13 is the most logical, leaving emotion out of it.

Mikie likes this.
  9. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    This cracks me up. Rancho Mission Viejo basically shut some trails down around Ladera, off Oso, for a while now because of sensitive habitats. Yes, some rogue trail builders were building some illegal stuff (which was wrong), but they cited that one of the longtime single tracks was also in a sensitive habitat so they closed it all off. NOW, massive construction of the Los Patrones Parkway is going on literally within 1/3 of a mile of this secluded single track that remains closed. Ah, the gnatcatcher ain't over there in those pristine bushes I presume? Oh, and Rancho Mission Viejo is building thousands of homes, but apparently there are no poor little gnatcatchers down yonder? Total joke. Oh, I bet the folks down in the exclusive gates of Covenant Hills are gonna fight the crap out of #9. They got all the bucks to try to stop it. I'm pretty far from #9 so it won't really affect noise for me....thank gawd. But it would affect some nice trails in the southern portion of Ladera.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  10. They only took a 7.2million $$ payout in exchange for "non opposition" to these 18 proposed new routes . No biggie

Mikie likes this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Amazing how the only reality in existence gets framed to benifit this interest or that interest or this habitat or that artifact via a range of feasible alternatives. Good time to be traffic engineer or biologist. Hang in there my friends.

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Surfrider did what advocacy groups do... fight against things that could negatively impact their interests, at the behest of their membership. It's called advocacy when they are on your side, and special interests when they are not.

The environmental hypocrisy in Orange County is so blatant that it's laughable. We have environmental groups that won't let an existing trail become a legal trail because of some BS about how bobcats won't cross a trail, or a native species of plant would be affected, but then three years later, the area is bulldozed for homes and roads.

Good luck to all who will be directly impacted by any of these proposals to finish the toll road.

13. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    The other problem is that the houses that do get built on buildable non sensitive land do not match the needs of the population looking for affordable houses. The 6000ft houses TollBrothers is building in the Orchard Hills is not helping anyone.

And there is wilderness left. Not much indeed. But is is worth protecting. It is truly unique what we still do have here.

herzalot, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I dunno......part of me would rather see a handful of McMansions instead of the community upon community of high density townhomes.

15. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    The problem is that say if you do not build higher density housing in easily buildable lands like the open flat lands in Irvine, then there will be need for housing developments like RVM. And RVM has just started: they will build up to 3 more developments up there. The county had negotiated to keep the rest as open space, but looking at the lack of traffic options, not even 2 developments seem to be sustainable.

Also note that San Juan Capistrano voted against a widening of the Ortega Highway, which at one point becomes a 2 lane road.

Also note that the TCA is profit driven, they need to pay off those bonds that already have been extended in maturity. They made the wrong calculations on traffic demand on their current roads. Should not be our problem. And hence should not be blamed on Surfrider either.

Think least worst solution is widening of existing roads and more density housing elsewhere plus tougher regulation on what housing is built (does it serve current local needs).

Thanks to environmental groups you can see wildlife and you can ride your bike in:

Black Star
    Aliso Woods
    El Moro (Newport Coast was the compromise)
    Limestone Canyon
    Laguna Coast Wilderness Park
    And Irvine Lake does not look like Lake Mission Viejo.

16. I attended and spoke at the Ladera Civic Counsel meeting last night.
    The chief strategy officer for TCA gave a presentation. It was rather interesting at times. However, most of the key points he made about how good the TCA is for OC can easily be argued against and in most topics destroyed to dust. One subject that he spent a good about of time on was talking about the 90 page legal settlement they reached with Surfrider(and the other NPG's) in late 2016.

He came right out and said it. They paid out the 7.2 million$$ settlement for non opposition to new proposed routes (routes that DO NOT SOLVE THE N-S congestion in SC) because they could not win against Surfrider. Surfrider agrees to NOT PROTECT, Non oppose the toll road proposals that will damage the San Juan creek, or the lower trabucco, or any of the watersheds that terminate in south OC except San Mateo creek. In my book TCA is the Villain, but Surfrider is NOW a willing participant in exchange for a payouts. Sell outs. It's disgusting really. I hope Dr. Chad Nelson chokes on a dildo for selling out his base this time. It diminishes all the good work the local chapters do.

On top of that, the 241 extension could never have been built given Coastal commission and DFG did not sign off on the EIR. so Surfrobbers suits were more of a settlement grab than an actual legal action to "Save" trestles.

SingleTrackJB, Andy and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. Call to action:
    Will anyone on this forum join in my fight to stop route 9 and persevere a section of trail I use?
    Petition: https://www.change.org/p/darrell-is...-as-the-beltway-option-in-south-orange-county
    Donate: https://www.gofundme.com/laderaranchrmvnot-my-toll-road

Write letters of opposition to further TCA routes, specifically options #9 and #18, to the board:

Michael Kraman, CEO The Toll Roads – mkraman@thetollroads.com
    Jeff Corless, Spokesperson/Venture Strategic – jeff@venturestrategic.com

F/ETCA Board of Directors (as of February 2017)
    Ed Sachs, Chair – esachs@cityofmissionviejo.com
    Christina Shea, Vice Chair – christinashea@cityofirvine.org
    Jose Moreno – jmoreno@anaheim.net
    Lisa Bartlett – lisa.bartlett@ocgov.com
    Todd Spitzer – todd.spitzer@ocgov.com
    Shawn Nelson – audra.fishel@ocgov.com
    Joe Muller – jmuller@danapoint.org
    Scott Voigts – svoigts@lakeforestca.gov
    Mark Murphy – councilman@markamurphy.com
    Anthony Beall – tbeall@cityofrsm.org
    Kathy Ward – wardk@san-clemente.org
    Brian Maryott – bmaryott@sanjuancapistrano.org
    Sal Tinajero – stinajero@santa-ana.org
    Chuck Puckett – cpuckett@tustinca.org
    Peggy Huang – phuang@yorba-linda.org

@Mikie will you draft an official letter of opposition from IMTB trails and mail to OC supervisor Lisa Bartlett?

Wondering how to stay connected?
    Ladera residents involved in stopping these routes from even entering environmental impact report study phases want their neighbors to get involved and informed now:

1f539.png Attend June 5th TCA Public Forum on 241 Expansion Plans at Saddleback Community College, 5:30 pm (Room 313, Lot 10)

1f539.png Join FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/396431067391370/

1f539.png Instagram: LaderaRanch.RMV.NotMyTollRoad

1f539.png YouTube: LaderaRanch-RMV-NotMyTollRoad

1f539.png Twitter: @NotMyTollRoad

Thank you for all your help

Ladera trail.jpg

18221520_771510559692234_8458975395545111208_n.jpg

Documents:
    Here are the presentation and the maps provided from The Toll Roads:

2017 TCA LRCC Presentation

06 – Exhibit No 01 – Ideas 2-18 with Disclosure 01 14 – SSOC-TCA Settlement Agreement – Executed 2016 11 10 – AA Sheet 02

07 – Exhibit No 02 – Ideas 3, 5, 7 with Disclosure 01

13 – SSOC-TCA Settlement Agreement – Executed 2016 11 10 – AA Sheet 01

14 – SSOC-TCA Settlement Agreement – Executed 2016 11 10 – AA Sheet 02

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?