Help for Palm Canyon Epic on Friday

Discussion in 'Trails' started by StrandLeper, Mar 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Going out to Palm Springs for a conference on Thursday through Saturday. Friday morning, I am going to ride Palm Canyon. It is gonna be hot, so I will hit it early. Is there a map or file online that folks use to make sure that they don't get lost on their first run?

Also, is an "out and back" possible? If not, that is what Uber is for, right?

Thanks,

Mikie likes this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mountain Bike Bill covers it well and has all that. :thumbsup:

Many possibilities for out-backs. MBB site covers the Epic and Goat trails IIRC. There are a few trails like Art Smith, Art Johnson and Cathedral Canyon that Bill doesn't cover but could be incorporated. Somewhat depends on the riding you want; some is more XC with climbs, some more DH.

MrGreedom, Mikie and StrandLeper like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Xavier from Crazy Bear has a driver there that could shuttle you with your own vehicle. I think he charges 20 bucks.

Mikie, StrandLeper and littlewave like this.
  4. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I really liked the route that we did recently... Starting from the Pinyon Campground and ending at the trailer park near the Vons shopping plaza. I'm sure Jason will chime in with pros and cons for that one as a first time experience.

Can we dump our Strava routes for you to upload and follow? Personally, I'd probably try it solo, but I'd really want someone to know where I was and I'd still want a route to follow, even though I've been out there twice now.

Mikie and StrandLeper like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The real question is how much time do you have?

Everything out there is going to take longer than you think for the mileage/elevation. I generally do not recommend riding out there if you are on a tight time schedule. Not the place you wanna have to push the pace to finish....that's when things can go really bad.

Something that can be done in about 2 - 2.5 hours would be Dunn Rd. up to Mike's Oasis, up/down Hahn-Buena Vista, up Vandvetterer back to Dunn Rd and down. Challenging FR climb, followed by some great ST up and down, followed by a quick FR descent.

Or something a bit more robust.....not mine:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/110063140

You could save some time by parking at the Dunn Rd Trail Head instead of riding the street up and back.

Screenshot (150).png Screenshot (151).png

Mikie, StrandLeper, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  7. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    I booked Friday morning from 7- Friday at 4 for "riding- unavailable for calls or meetings."

:)

My son will be joining me. (22 y/o trad and alpine climbing cardio beast- good endurance but not the best Mtn Bike handler on the tech stuff [chip off the old block on the MtB score])

It's time for some father-son bonding... you get it where you can at this point!

I will be refreshing the Stans in the Pivot and packing extra tubes and CO2. Great information everyone!! Truly appreciated and keep it coming.

We might get some bloomage while out there.

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  8. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    FYI, starting at Pine View Dr. rather than the campground gets you some extra singletrack. https://goo.gl/maps/Ufx1WZnVoCL2

Best done with someone that knows the route. Trails are not well signed.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Strand, I think the best (funnest riding, easiest to follow) route top-bottom is:

• Hwy 74/Pine View Drive start for more DH; https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...b02c58f0489e1!8m2!3d33.5713183!4d-116.4993176
    • Follow the street to dirt, bear right onto trail signed with "Pines to Palms Trail" or similarly ambiguous language
    • Stay on this trail for ~12 mi, passing various signage until at the split for Indian Potrero Trail (L) or "Mountain Bikes -->" (R) – they both end up at the same location, start of Dry Wash Rd a couple miles later
    • Dry Wash Rd to huge Dunn Rd, take a left onto Dunn, short distance to Mike Dunn Desert Oasis (rusted heavy equipment and picnic tables).
    • Across Dunn Rd from the Oasis is Hahn Buena Vista Trail leading up to a peak. Take that to summit and descend other side. Stay right at every opportunity as the trail flattens out and you'll end up back at Dunn Rd (a couple signs along the way confirm)
    • Cross Dunn Rd to signed Catherdral Canyon Trail, take this down to a canal that runs next to a neighborhood. Go thru the opening in the canal fence and follow canal to Hwy 111, Cathedral City. Across the street is strip mall center with a huge parking lot and a Denny's (can park there). https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...1986b3f41e70c!8m2!3d33.7779033!4d-116.4566177

Once at the Oasis, bailouts are possible:
    • Head down Dunn Rd to residential to Hwy 111 in Cathedral city. This point on the 111 is slightly west of the Denny's noted above
    • Skip Hahn Buena Vista (a terrible shame) and head down Dunn Rd 2-3 mi to the Cathedral Canyon Trail (signed, on right), finish as above on CC Trail.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    @mike et al, instead of going down Dunn to CC trail, to the left of the Art Smith trail sign is Art's Johnson (yes its the real name) This will drop you at the bottom of the same canal as Cathedral Cyn trail, without the fireroad downhill. Not as chunky but just as fun!

Mikie and StrandLeper like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I agree 100%, rossage. I was thinking, partly, about ease of navigation. AJ still has no sign at its start. Yes it's pretty obvious (~130' from the picnic tables, take the left off of Art Smith Trail).

:thumbsup:

Mikie, StrandLeper and rossage like this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Just be careful .. Palm can be deadly hot.. In the am nice n cool but by midday can hit over 90 even in march..
    Just watch out for heat exhaustion symptoms..first signs r u stop sweatin n mentally become careless.. N bit irrational...

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I will be out there for the same conference , but won't be having to attend it as it will be my wife, I'm pretty damn disapointed that it will be in the 90's starting Wed. through the weekend, when I do ride it will be with respect for the conditions, so my rides will be short and early for me which is 8 ish, sorry I don't recomend shuttling the hole enchilada when it hits 90 or above. I'm really hoping to hit the flag ride if it's not to hot?

Mikie, StrandLeper, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    You're not talkin about Mikie are you?

Mikie, StrandLeper and LLPoolJ like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Looked at the forecast... I'm with h^b – too hot to have fun in the daylight.

Especially when you consider that there's great riding up to 8k' in the area of the PC start. I would ride Ramona Trail on Thomas Mountain and Sawmill Trail on Santa Rosa Mountain/El Toro Peak. Both loops are shown on this map, along with a variation of Palm Canyon: SoCal Crescent

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    If forecast is for 90s..its hard to carry enough water ..just so many unexpected things could happen...n if first time....umm..the window for palm might already have closed....

Mikie, herzalot, StrandLeper and 2 others like this.
  17. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    90 degrees?! Yah, I would go do ramona and/or sawmill instead, hopefully much cooler. Lord knows theres already enough mandatory riding in 90'+ weather may-oct in socal.
    I hate the heat, I am not ready for winter to be over!

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, kioti and 4 others like this.
  18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I will be looking into these rides, thanks!

Mikie, StrandLeper and mike like this.
  19. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    I will look at the temp grid for the day (hour by hour). If it looks like I cannot get a sunrise start due to my son being 22, then I will check out the alternate trails. This information is priceless. Thanks brothers!

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    One last bit of incentive to get up the hill: http://www.theparadisevalleycafe.com/

Jose Burger, a SOT fave, and check the dinner specials and tap beer. Right in the middle of all the riding we're talking here.

PS: Weather is looking splitter for days...in the 70s at 5000'. :thumbsup:

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hey - we ate there, and I had that. It was yummy. Plus a great Belgian beer (in bottle) that I had never heard of. I was so glad @mtnbikej was driving!. It was foggy and cold, and the restaurant was not crowded. Looks like it might be a biker bar (a la Cooks Corner) in different weather.

Mikie, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sweet!

PVC purports to be a roadhouse, catering to motos, cyclists and hikers (SOT like a mile away). They are cool with their property being used for camping outside of restaurant hours. (I suggest the front patio inside the low wall to avert headlights.) Very cool local resource; solid owner/staff. Thanks for supporting!

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  23. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Cool. Sounds like a good place to hitch a ride back into town if we do a ride up high.

Mikie likes this.
  24. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    If you leave a car up top for PCE that cafe can be on the way home if you go that direction. Good place.

herzalot, mike and Mikie like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Tim, FWIW you can coast 14 miles from Pinyon Flat CG in Mountain Center to the intersection of 74 and 111 in Palm Desert. Riding up not recommended – minimal shoulder and potentially very windy.

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and rossage like this.
  26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    How do you know that? Ha ha!

DangerDirtyD, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :cry::bang::unsure:

DangerDirtyD and rossage like this.
  28. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
  29. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I think I'm going to go ahead and hit that Romona out and back tomorrow, if anyone wants to venture up there ?

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I would have been totally up for that. Hosed with no bike until next week.

Out/back, you say?

I would park at the finish and ride west on 74, hang a left where the sign points you to Little Thomas Mountain. A really nice FR climb with fantastic views over the south/west sides. Maybe a mile before you get to the bathrooms where Ramona connects, you'll see a small sign indicating a use trail on your left. Take that trail (ups and downs, mostly downs), basically paralleling the FR; it passes through a campground and eventually connects with Ramona where you'll take a left and head down. This little bonus trail is on the map I linked above.

Have a great time! Killer weather! SO GOOD :thumbsup: We'll be a few miles away at Tahquitz :cool:

Fueledbyex8, hill^billy and mtnbikej like this.