Clear protection for frame

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessory Reviews' started by jaime, Mar 7, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I have been using this since sept 15' .. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/131595833565 and I'm pretty happy with the protection it provides...after a really muddy ride the mud/dirt just falls off with gentle spraying of the hose after the dirt is gone the frame is 95% clean without scrubbing but I just scrub with soap gently to get the 100%. Also where I ride in skyline is loose gravel/rocks on the fireroad and sometimes if I take the fireroad coming down you can get some really good speed and you heard the little rock hitting the frame but never I have encountered a nick or scratch from rocks. The tape is really easy to install you just need
    1-patience
    2-hand cutter-ruler-measure tape
    3-beer
    4-relaxing music
    There are some videos on you tube for installation. If you have a brand new bike or used one, give it a try ! It doesn't hurt to protect our beloved toys and also they keep their resale value :thumbsup: if you decide to sell in the future @StrandLeper @dustyyoungblood

IMG_20170101_133425.jpg
    Before pic.....the floor is dry..

IMG_20170101_142213.jpg
    After pic...the floor is wet.

mtnbikej, UPSed, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    WHOA!!! That thing is blinding clean! :eek:

Go out and get it dirty again. :thumbsup:

I cut small pieces of that stuff and attach it where the cables rub on the frame. I've also got some on the cranks and fork.

Danmtchl and jaime like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    That is an old pic. but sunday ride on the rain got it really dirty and today I decided to wash it...and thought to share my experience with the protector film here. It really works. Now bike is clean and lubed ready for tomorrow ride.. planing on B*-skyline and pedal to my house here in Corona.
    IMG_20170307_155241.jpg
    This one was around 3pm. And it doesn't matter if the mud is a couple days on the frame, the result is the same..it falls off really easy.

mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom and Danmtchl like this.
  4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    You mean to tell me if I'd have taped up my frame it wouldn't look like this??? Oh well live & learn.
    IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

Yeah Ibis bikes are bitchin but the blue paint truly sucks which is why I'm not allowed to flog on the wifey's pretty orange one and I REALLY NEED A NEW MATTE BLACK YETI SB4.5...:Roflmao :Roflmao :Roflmao

mtnbikej, UPSed, Severum and 4 others like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Is this normal for Ibis bikes? I had a KHS frame that did the same thing. I would expect the paint would be better, especially for the price.

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Honestly at this point I don't care and kinda consider all the marks as battle wounds and I am in no way here to bag on Ibis as I love their bikes and the company. I've seen a couple with chipped paint but nothing even close to what mine looks like. I bought this Ripley used about a year ago and it already had numerous chips on the main frame but the triangle was brand new without a single scratch. One local loop and it already had a few small chips and it was too late to worry about vanity. Admittedly I have done craploads of brutal rides and beat the ever loving dog sh!t out of this bike as did the previous owner. I've got a couple other bikes one of which has way more time on it and still looks perfect(this is the Kona that's still for sale in the classifieds). All this being said if I were to buy another Ibis(which I would in a heartbeat) I'd for sure buy a raw finished frame or tape it up...

7. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Hmmmm. Maybe a bit underneath the downtube for the new Foes. Thx! @Luis !

8. I have actually been trying to find a big piece for my downtube. I used a couple lizard skin clear patches for cable rub.

The decomposed granite on San Juan in the rain at full face helmet speeds will destroy any paint

jaime and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?