Meadows..the saga continues

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by kioti, Jan 28, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I jammed down to Laguna last night after work and did a quick Meadows recon to check storm damage. One worry was that so much of our trail work was fresh and never got baked by the sun, so all that rain streaming down the hillside and flowing through our turns would carve big ruts.

There were ruts, but not as bad as I feared. Still, some are in funky places that could grab tires, make climbing a pain, or twist an ankle. I'm planning to go back on Sunday to clean things up.

Time is not yet determined but will be decided based on other volunteer's schedules. I'd like a good-sized crew so we can get it back in good shape ASAP. All help will be greatly appreciated!

Please respond here by 8:00pm tomorrow night and/or text me at 949-456-2242.

Thank you!

Jim aka kioti

Cyclotourist, Erik H, PATKOUG and 8 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Meadows was interesting today. The dirt dried so fast that it's a little crunchy and kind of gives way under the tires. Slick in a way you would not expect. And @kioti you are right, there are a few ruts in some very inconvenient (read dangerous) locations, especially towards the top about 6 turns down. Most of it was great though. I was scoping out one rut on the bottom and forgot to look where I was going and actually went off the trail. :oops:

Some of the drainage humps are awkward - but I can tell the difference between Jim's drainage work and someone else's.

I am a maybe for tomorrow. And you know what Jack Johnson says about "maybe" in his song "Flake."

"...but no one no not no one likes to be let down..."

PATKOUG and MattB like this.
  3. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, due to overwhelming response, it looks like it's just going to be you and me..or maybe just me.

The trail surface reminded me of elephant skin. Speed dried by the Santa Ana's..gray and chalky looking. I'm kind of bummed because the Luge, for example, is prime digging right now, but the surface drying on Meadows limits shaping options. One way or another, those ruts have got to be filled.

In other news, the Luge got a little TLC today while I was stuck in an all-day, mandatory Forest Service meeting. But I got back in time to hike to the gap jump area, where the main trail was actually threatened, and finish a new berm, carve into the uphill slope and build a little kicker. No gap for now, or maybe ever, but hopefully a fun solution. The meeting ran so long I was barely able to finish the trail work by dark, and the walk out was..interesting.

Anyway.. C'mon gang, I can't do all this myself. If it rains as hard as it did last week, the trails will need to be repaired. And if we aren't the ones doing it, there's no telling what kind of work will get done. I'm going to Meadows at some point tomorrow and could seriously use some help. Text me at 949-456-2242. Thanks.

4. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Sorry, I'd like to join again tomorrow, but I'm behind on the honey-do list and house cleaning after my back/neck issues. My stay-at-home dad license will be revoked by the boss if I don't catch-up on that stuff before doing trail maintenance :whistling:. Fortunately, my neck and back responded well to riding today :), but they haven't recovered enough yet to dig:(.

I'll try to join one of the next ones.

PATKOUG, kioti and Runs with Scissors like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    It's weird, but that flash dry effect from the winds might've been mitigated by opening the trail sooner. Tires might have pushed the moisture back to the surface and smoothed out rivulets streaming onto the berms from the uphill, grassy slope. Now they'll have to wait until the next rain to smooth out or be shaped. But those ruts definitely have to be filled.

I'm thinking late morning/ afternoon digging. But I'm feeling a little like @mike posting an up Bell Ridge, down Los Pinos, Sitton Peak ride. Whattya mean no takers! It'll be fun!

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Leave that long top rut for me. Loan me a pick and a shovel. I'll come fill it in. I may be in my riding clothes...

PATKOUG likes this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'll loan you my shovel. You can fill it in, then tire pack it. Chop chop, fill fill, ride ride, repeat.

PATKOUG likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A pick, a pick - my kingdom for a pick!

PATKOUG likes this.
  9. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @kioti sundays are hard for me but will help soon !

kioti likes this.
  10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    @herzalot-- Bonus points if you recruit Sylvia.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hmmm...

"Hi! We've never met, but towards the end of the ride, I would like to hit Meadows. When we do, we will ditch our bikes, grab some picks and shovels and do some trailwork, mmkay?"

Based on her few posts, I am guessing she would say "Hells yes!"

kioti likes this.
  12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Maybe after the next good rain @jaime? If you're not out riding Sycamore or I-15? I was in Corona all day today at a Forest Service meeting. About volunteering. PeeWee says, "THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO!!!" It was fun last time, so anytime Jaime.

jaime likes this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    BTW, @Cougar is on the OC Parks trail-use committee. He is representing our interests actively and well. There are three mt. bikers, an equestrian and an old Botanist (read Sierra Clubber) on the council. I like those numbers.

Oaken, Cougar, littlewave and 3 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Go @Cougar!!! Civic involvement extraordinaire. I know what kind of time these commissions/councils/advisory committees take - I was on the Budget Advisory Commission here in Anaheim for a couple years. Keep up the good work!!

Cougar and herzalot like this.
  15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    She just might. Now we've got a team in the making. LA/OC Coalition, Baby.

herzalot and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @kioti really you were in Corona? Hey next time give me a call or text and I'll take you to silver dollar pancake house, they're open weekdays from 5am thru 4pm breakfast all day !

kioti likes this.
  17. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I do believe one of those breakfasts would power an entire day of trail work.. plus post-TW test ride. Deal!

jaime likes this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The new Meadows Connector. Urban DH? New opportunity for Lopes?

Meadows Connector.JPG

Once they finish this hardscape, they will install handrails and plant trees in the tree wells.
    No, really.

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is an eyesore.

21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    R they letting bikes thru now? The constrctn dudes had fences it off a couple of weeks ago.. I ended up walking down some gnarly cliff drop...

Runs with Scissors and herzalot like this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Wait til they put the handrails up.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There are ways to get by the barriers. There are plenty of fresh tire tracks and footprints. No construction on weekends, so no one monitoring right now. The fence at the bottom is tough to navigate. Looks like some are climbing over, and some are trying to go around on the soft sidehill.

Fence to Meadows.JPG

24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Can't wait to see this in person. From the photos it looks like multiple accidents waiting to happen.

25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yeah kinda weird with path and stairs...and what looks like bikes on the inside, I would have put them on the outside.

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Who the hell is responsible for that mess?
    Who would take "1000" stairs over a graded path anyway?
    Where is the dislike button?
    Why? Really, tell me why.

27. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Who was it in that footage flying over that final section that I had to HAB up? Maybe Aaron? Post it up if someone's got it.
    Meadows connector- RIP

herzalot likes this.
  28. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Those steps are begging to be ridden...

MolarM and herzalot like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lopes. I'll find it for you in a second... The most recent was a Vital MtB Rapid Fire segment of Lopes doing the Meadows connector, then riding Telonics on his trailbike. Here ya go...

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Until they put up handrails...

MolarM and rossage like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?