I Did Some Trail Work Today

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by Daddy Dirtbag, Jan 19, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I like that some of the bigger trail work projects get posted, and I think they absolutely deserve their own posts. The point of this thread is kinda similar to the 'I Rode My Bike Today' thread where a ride may not merit it's own thread, but sharing that we got out for a ride at all is nice to read about and share.

I would like to have a place where we can share the 'little jobs' that help to keep our trails maintained for safe and enjoyable riding.

* Cut a few branches off to keep others from getting poked, scratched or snagged?

* Clear some debris from the trail?

* Fill in a rut or three?

* Restore a small section of damaged trail surface?

* Picked up some garbage and hauled it out?

* Cut a drain in to get rid of a puddle?

Post it here!

You get the idea. Every little bit helps. This stuff doesn't happen by itself, and it is work. BUT, it's worth it! I happen to know that there are more than the usual suspects around here that get out to help. I think the more others see that there are people that take the initiative and take action, the more others may be inspired to do some themselves. Pics are awesome.

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Barrett Stoddard; every ride there is a new surprise...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is a great idea for a thread!

@knucklebuster and I stopped and cleared out a clogged bridge in Aliso last time we rode together. No biggie. Drew some blood from Dave however.

Now we will all be motivated to do a little bit each time out, so we can talk about it here. Net result - perpetually improving trails! Well done @Daddy Dirtbag :thumbsup:

4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Scottay and I filled in a hole with rocks in a washed out water crossing at AT today, no pics.

5. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    This thread is a good idea !

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awesome Thread idea!
    Thanks Daddy!

7. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Some Walrus maintenance between storms, in Canyon Counrty.

CAM01528.jpg

CAM01523.jpg

CAM01522.jpg

CAM01519.jpg

CAM01518.jpg

CAM01517.jpg

8. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    And A.T. work also. I sent these to H^B while he was on vacation ( he was worried about the rain...lol)
    We worked on it again yesterday.

CAM01497_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01498_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01499_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01500_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01503_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01504_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01505_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01506_Ink_LI.jpg

CAM01507_Ink_LI.jpg

CAmM01503_Ink_LI.jpg

9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Be careful. It can be addicting.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Warrior's Society will be doing trailwork on Trabuco Trail on Jan. 28th.

knucklebuster, Faust29, kioti and 2 others like this.
  11. silvia

silvia Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Silvia
    Current Bike:
    specialized rumor
    how do you fill in a rut?

DangerDirtyD and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  12. silvia

silvia Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Silvia
    Current Bike:
    specialized rumor
    nm, i saw the pics.

DangerDirtyD and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I imagine it depends on the rut and the topography. For deep skinny rain ruts on a dirt trail (like Meadows), it's not too hard under the right conditions.

When the ground is damp (but not liquid), I just use a pick and shovel. Carve the sides down into the rut, stomp it into place, pack it with the shovel. If you need more dirt, look beside the trail, or carve more from the sides. If the dirt is dry, don't bother. You will just make a sand pit that will be more dangerous than it was.

For big rocky ruts, I am not sure.

14. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The kids down here at Ted Williams just build a new trail 10 feet over when an existing line gets rutted, 'cuz who wants to do maintenance?

15. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Well done people, that's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Think globally, act locally! With the recent storms, there will be lots of trail work opportunities in the coming weeks. This all makes a significant difference.

No doubt. I have picks and shovels stashed in several places in the local hills.

If only I could remember where all of them are . . . . Doh!

16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    And also, look closely and try to determine what's causing the rut. If it's water running down the trail, try to find ways to spill it off the downhill side, above the rutted area.

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well there you go treating the cause instead of the symptoms. :confused: I have a large box of band aids in my drawer, all sizes.

Recent experience has told me that drain design and placement can be very controversial. I like the tennis ball idea that @kioti mentioned half-jokingly last time I worked with him. Check where the ball goes - that's where the water will go. Of course, if it's muddy, the ball will go nowhere. Maybe bring a bowling ball for more accuracy... Just watch for uphill riders. :eek:

Wait a minute.... New Sport!!!!! :sneaky: :thumbsup:

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I'll just say a blanket "THANK YOU" to everyone doing some trail work and posting in this thread :thumbsup: I've just not been able to do much, so good to see so many working on the different trails. Looking like there will plenty of opportunity after this next rain....

It was merely a flesh wound, so I thought... After a week keeping the wound covered with bandage and neosprorin, it was healing well, so I uncovered it to let it dry out some. Then this slight infection happened...:bang: Doc gave a 10 day course of antibiotics which seems to have it stabilized... but still hard to get a shoe on with the swelling, and the ankle doesn't like to move much.
    IMAG2097.jpg

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Good Lord... I had no idea. :eek::( Well, I guess you file that under "No good deed goes unpunished." :confused:

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cool idea, DD :thumbsup:

I cleared the trail of many obstructions today. Another rider came up, said he couldn't believe how the trail could be so clear after the storms. :)

Plus the obligatory handful of trash, couple water bottles...you know, cidiot artifacts.

Thanks to everyone who has a reason to post here!

21. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I did some trail work today. Went back to Meadows to see how it held up to the last 2 storms. Not great, but much better than Upper Holy Jim (thanks @mike!). Aliso was closed and I didn't see anyone out there. One hiker had walked down the trail and planted his boot on every new (soft) water bar, top to bottom. There were tire tracks down the first 200 yards, then the rider apparently turned around. Does that mean cyclists are smarter than hikers? I don't know, but I will say Meadows should not be hiked or ridden when wet. Especially after recent, unconsolidated trail work.

I did more shaping on the big S turn and added a drain at the bottom. Filled some ruts after renewing drainage above them. Hope the trail holds up through the next storm, and that we can get a group together to really buff it out. Preferably before some warm days so all that clay can bake in the sun and get hard.

Faust29, mtnbikej, mike and 5 others like this.
  22. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Great thread!

Daddy Dirtbag likes this.
  23. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Well, since all our trails will be needing some work after this mother of all storms, what packable tool does anyone recommend? Something that breaks down or collapses for transport on a bike (or back). McLeod-style or just a plain old shovel/spade?

Daddy Dirtbag likes this.
  24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I like full-sized shovels, picks, McLeods, etc., but of course they can be a problem to ride with. One of my friends uses a BOB trailer. A couple others use collapsible tools like the Trail Boss, but they're fairly expensive. I'm cheap so I generally hike to the site or stuff the shafts through the straps of my camelbak and try not to fall on them. And if I'll be returning to the spot I'll stash them in the bushes, maybe shoving them into a contractor trash bag to protect them a bit from rain and view. Nice to ride w/o tools hanging out everywhere and good memory workout, too!

25. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Crystal Cove State Park is, mostly open... Basically the boundary trails - Moro Ridge, BFI, No Dogs, No Name (and Bommer Ridge in LCWP) will allow you to loop, but the other "interior" trails are still closed - Moro Cyn, for example, has a large hole/wash out... There are still some places with water, mud etc, although these, such as Ticketron should dry out soon. Share and CCSP were able to work on Ticketron today under the watchful supervision of CCSP - but - we did get a lot done. Not as much as I would've liked (we ran out of time), but never the less, we got to block off some unauthorized short cuts (causing damage etc), some rut filling (not as much as I wanted), cactus cutback/general brushing, and some "sculpting" of damaged areas (of which there are, thankfully, very few on upper Ticketron compared to what we expected to find) which included some new drainage/run off control, slight trail re-alignment etc. If trail users could avoid these trails until they're officially re-opended, it would be a big help. The dirt was perfect today, I just wish we could get back out there tomorrow...

31766880923_bcc8ab456b_k.jpg

26. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I found this guy on Instagram, he makes a detachable version of a Mcleod. It is expensive but cheaper than other versions I've seen in the past. And it would be priceless to be able to pack a tool in easily. There are a lot of places I would do work but don't because it's too far to hump in tools for what might be a small amount of work. These will never be as solid as a one-piece but way more versatile. He's local to Murrieta/Temecula area.

http://nevercomingbackmtb.com/products/detachable-mcleod

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Uhh, huh, huh huh, he thaid "detachable"

Grassblade23 likes this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Uhhhh...sorry, but that ain't art. That's just stupid.

herzalot likes this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Unfortunately, I Googled the title of that "song". I can't wait to see what comes up in the margins of each page I visit from this point forward. Hopefully, I'll be doing a presentation to my staff, and several advertisements for sex toys will appear on the screen!

These are the risks I take and the lengths I will go to for the entertainment of IMTB members. :cool:

(uhhh, huh, huh , huh huh, he thaid, "members" uh, huh huh...)

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    "Staff development" gone viral. :whistling:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?