OC Loop updates

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by OTHRider, Sep 30, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Last night I attended a small, but very well executed meeting to update the progress on the OC Loop

http://octa.net/Bike/The-OC-Loop/

In particular, the meeting discussed the final proposals for the three unfinished segments from Brea through Yorba Linda and connecting to SART.

http://ocparks.com/about/projects/oc_loop

The private-public speakers were loaded with detailed posters, overlays, samples of Class I proposed trails and definitely were looking for riders input. My interests lie in the Brea Tracks segment tie in. Right now I can get over to Chino Hills with very little road riding. It will be nice to have the same option to cruise over to SART.

Two of the segments are Class II and III rated and would be easy to complete with signage and sharrow road paintings. Segment D is supposed to use an existing dirt path along side a rain culvert. The issue on this one is that some bridge pilings are blocking the trail minimum width. Hopefully, the City of Yorba Linda will help out with some $ during the bridge improvements (they made it sound like this is already in the works).

I was impressed with the proposed signage to make the Loop more official and not just another bike path. They are also pushing for a "Hawk Beacon" (High-Intensity Activated crossWalK beacon) at major crossings. Quite a few cities use the system and it appears to be an attention-getter for the "I drive & talk on my cell" crowd. http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/provencountermeasures/fhwa_sa_12_012.cfm

The meeting was done within an hour & I arrived home to a happy puppy and a cold, Pineapple Sculpin.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    OC loop will be a good workout route when completed but I already have a 75-mile loop. :)

Sasquatch9billion, Grego and mtnbikej like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Would be great to see! Someday Redlands, San Bernardino, and Norco may also complete their segments of the SART!

Grego, mike, Grassblade23 and 5 others like this.
  4. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
  5. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Meeting's tonight, hope to see some of you there.

mike likes this.
  6. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Wow, I took a nap (11/08) before going to work and a week already passed by..... @Grassblade23

7. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Well, I boneheaded that one.

8. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I found it interesting that at last night's meeting, one of the residents would prefer bicycle traffic go through someone else's front yard than over a wall and down a grade from his back yard.

mtnbikej and OTHRider like this.
  9. OTHRider

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I contacted one of the presenters from an earlier meeting and was told it would be the same meeting, just in another neighborhood, so I stayed home with my puppy.

Hmmm, sounds like a heavy-set fellow, brags about being a teacher of thousands, has lived right behind the path for 20+ years but had NO idea it was part of a big loop, kinda lispy (not saying anything wrong with that), otherwise the ultimate NIMBY, gadfly who takes up WAY TOO MUCH valuable meeting time with his monotonous stories.........

.......of course, I could be wrong.

10. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Yeah this seemed to be more of a "This is what we are planning to do, if you want to complain about it do it now." meeting.

This was definitely a NIMBY blowhard who seemed to think the trail was a new thing. He expressed his concern about the litter and nuisance that cyclists/trail users generate, but he doesn't seem to be aware that his precious gully already has litter and graffiti. I bet consistent traffic though Carbon Creek would make that back 40 a safer area, but he didn't see it that way.

11. OTHRider

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Time for an update!

For anyone interested, the next Community Meeting for Segment D of the OC Loop is 11/1/18 at 6pm in the Placentia City Hall, 401 E. Chapman Ave. This section will tie in the end of the newly completed Brea Tracks trail system to the existing El Cajon trail. This will allow cyclists (and others) a safer route over towards the SART entrance in Yorba Linda

Attached Files:

herzalot, MnMDan, littlewave and 7 others like this.
  12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Hopefully, this project will be completed before we all leave CA. Apparently, everyone is leaving as soon as they can.....

shawndoh, herzalot, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  13. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Can't wait!

14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Any idea who’s preparing the environmental document for this project?

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Categorically exempt. ;)

-ROCKY- and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    If it is exempt, why hold a community meeting?

herzalot likes this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Same reason as when repaving a street, or ADA ramps curbs/gutters. Let folks who are inteterested know what & when.

-ROCKY-, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. OTHRider

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    At the 1st meeting, they had lawyers, environmental types and a P.R. crew. They never got into the nitty gritty - more of a just letting you know overview.

I do remember that on a few segments of the Brea Tracks were exempt (maybe not the correct technical reason) since the path was already there and it was on either storm water district land or Corps of Engineer land. Other segments like the rail-to-trail conversions had huge reports and had to clear several areas of arsenic contamination. I went to a meeting for the western expansion of the Brea Tracks through La Habra and arsenic contamination was already discovered. They have been doing soil remediation along the tracks near Lambert for over a year now.

In the Orange County Engineering Estimates document it has the following listed - PA/ED Environmental Costs (~15%* of project cost) $898K, so something is getting or got done. I'll post up if I find out anything more.

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Almost a million, and that doesn't even start the PS&E!!:eek:

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Much appreciated. Thanks for the info.

-ROCKY-, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Drop in the bucket. 10 meetings of said lawyers and PR crew over the course of the project design and execution will run the budget meter well beyond the cost of the environmental analysis and mitigation. Ironically, it’s not the environmental requirements that hold projects back and substantially increase budgets. Rather, it’s the opposition to discretionary projects knowing they can cling onto the environmental review and find an angle of inadequacy in the analysis which holds everything up and costs more money. The Railroad should pay for the remediation. I wouldn’t want to be exposed to that stuff.

22. OTHRider

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    With a title of Conceptual Design Meeting, you already know it was dry, boring, slow and full of know-it-all neighbors.

DDD- no one knew the name of the firm doing the EIR, but it is almost completed. Once it is done, the OC planners will file for grants.

Right away, people were pissy for such late notice of a meeting. Hmm, published in the Brea, Placentia & Yorba Linda city quarterly fliers; signage at the proposed trail heads; sent to everyone who gave an email address at previous OC Loop meeting; secondary notification to those who attended either the Brea Tracks meetings or the La Habra proposed connector meetings (if you left your email address) AND three, yes three separate mailings to homes with 150 yards of the proposed trail.

So, the trail itself was only discussed for about 15 minutes. The other hour was complaining. We did have about 15 minutes of complements and congrats to Brea for pulling off such a nice connector route.

The most common complaints -

1. Since the existing drainage culvert is on the border of Yorba Linda and Placentia, who would we call if there is a murder in the culvert? Yes, someone really asked this. OC Sheriff for the win.

2. Since our homes that back up to the culvert have an easement on our property for the culvert, how much money are we going to get for OC stealing our land?

Yes, it was like that. The revenge moment came when the speaker was asked when construction might start. Answer - not until the new bridge over Golden Street is completed. Seriously, 90% of the cry-babies never knew of this project - again, well signed (I ride by twice a month), mailers sent, Placentia residents notified, etc. I thought the old man, who let us know several times how long he lived in the city, was going to croak on the spot when he found out that the new bridge construction would close off Golden for about 6 months - and he lives on the other side.

Rum and Coke never tasted so good!

23. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    @OTHRider ... welcome to the pain of attempting to get something done. Thanks for the report.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?