BikeCo

Discussion in 'Local Bike Shop Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 3, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    BikeCo - They have been very good to me for over 10 years. In 2009, they had some lousy people working there who talked about how cool they were and let you know how cool you weren't. And did I mention Brian Lopes? They must have been paid to mention him within 1 minute of engaging the customer. Kudos to Kara and Joe for giving the "too cool" people the heave ho and raising their standards of customer appreciation - ANY customer, not just the cool people. It's the only OC shop I will go to for suspension work. They just hooked up Scott with a custom Bronson for less than the price of a stock build, and it will be ready in one day.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So I worked with BikeCo to help Scott get his Bronson. Great job. But then Scott bought some HT pedals at the recommendation of the shop (Zach). What Zach neglected to mention is that when you buy a pin and cleat system (like a CB Mallet), you have to trim away your shoe and shim the cleat, otherwise, you will get locked in and won't be able to twist out. Scott discovered this the hard and painful way today. I love Zach, but I am wagging my finger at him for not advising my friend correctly. Of course, I didn't either. So fingers are wagging at me too.

mike, Mikie, jaime and 2 others like this.
  3. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Only gripe about this place is that they charge MSRP for everything, but give you 10% off "if" they like you.

mike, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    This is a business and needs to make money to stay open...

mike, Mikie, LLPoolJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I get 20-25% off!!! :p :speechless:

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But they increase the price 30% before they mark it down for you...:):whistling:

DBMX119, mike, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  7. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    I agree, but they use it passive aggressively by giving you the "bro" discount, then if you complain or look at them funny, it goes back up to MSRP.
    Kinda like when you take the bike to them for an inspection, they charge you $80, but then you bring it back because you believe they missed something, then they charge you again.

They do have a wonderful sales staff that knows a lot about mountain biking. Selective discounts just irks me.

8. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    :poop::cautious: :bang::thumbsup:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Did either of those things really happen? If so, when? Who was the salesperson? I would never let someone do either of those things to me in any shop.

"$80 for an inspection? No thanks (turn and walk away). " Or how about, "Wait, you just said $50, and now it's 59.99? No thanks."

Or this one "Waddya mean you are going to charge me again for something you didn't fix the first time. That's not cool. Do you really want to lose my business and the business of my friends? Can I speak to your management please?"

10. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    As much as I like to call out names, they still hold the warranty on my bike. I'd like to keep the little bridge I have left, atleast for the next few years.

mike, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave

Its more, Hey you charged me $80 for the full inspection and adjustments 2 weeks ago, but I still have problems with ____________ .

kdiff, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Service after the sale is a big deal. A full inspection and adjustments is generally gratis for a year after the sale at any other bike store. I would have a sit down with the management - perhaps while there are customers in the store thinking about buying a bike. I have never had, seen nor overheard the experience you describe at this shop.

Actually, I take some of that back. I have heard them quote a potential customer $75 for a "full inspection and adjustment." But that is a walk-in customer, not someone who bought a bike from them. I seriously would have a talk with Kara - if you can get a word in edgewise.

mike, Cyclotourist, Torrent77 and 2 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I believe the warranty is with the manufacturer, not the shop, but I get that you want to try to use the leverage of your purchase to get good service.

14. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    I found that manufacturer warranty claims are usually deferred to the shop that sold you the bike to ensure the validity of the claim. If your cool with the shop, they will be your advocate. Fall on their $hit list and guess what, your not getting that part any time soon.

Lesson learned.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    As long as you have proof of purchase, you can go to any dealer to handle warranty claims.

16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7

I can't believe they charge for an inspection. That's not cool. But I have had people have me look a bike over, tell them the diagnosis and tell me thank you and walk out of the shop. So I understand, but would never charge to check a bike over.

mike, Mikie, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I would write everything here, like "they" (they being BikeCo) are reading it as well, because they eventually will.
    My point would be, to have that conversation with them and tell them, "Hey I bought my bike here because you gained my trust. I want to continue to support your shop and tell others, but these situations tend to make me think otherwise. Let's work through this so I can continue to help you grow your business, and I remain confident in our relationship." I would tell them you are a part of a mtb forum that has recently opened up a forum on local bike shops and that you want to be the one to point potential mountain bike customers in their direction.

That's more then fair. They work for you, you do not work for them.
    If they are not keen on those conditions, then it's time to find a new LBS.
    Any dealer can take care of your warranty issues. They know that.

18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I agree with Mikie, tell your shop your concerns and hopefully they will take care of you. I know we like to take care of any concern ASAP. Word of mouth recommendations are far more powerful than any advertising. No shop is perfect but as long as they take care of you, they should be given a chance to be your LBS.

mike, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  19. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I've been having some creaking issues with my HD3. I went through all of the usual suspects and also ended up replacing the linkage bearings. A couple were already notchy. Bike was quiet as a mouse for a few weeks, but started to make noise again this week. I checked a few of the things, but the bike still made noise this morning so I called Bikeco up and made arrangements to drop it off after work today. I was bummed that they were taking bikes in today with a 8/18 scheduled work day which meant I'd be without the bike for at least a week. I took it in and while one of the guys was on the bike outside so he could hear the noise another employee came over to check it out. He took the bike back in and tightened a couple of things after he could recreate the sound with pressure on the rear triangle and had me go test ride it again. Creak was gone. :thumbsup: He explained that the new bearings will seat in after a few rides and would need to be re-torqued a couple of times after a replacement. Also went through how they do the swing arm maintenance on the HD3 and gave me a few tips. When I asked what I owed them, he said don't worry about it. Bike was back on the rack and I was on my way home in 30 minutes. I've bought a few things there including my Tranny frame and will definitely be taking more of my business there.

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  20. 2005-2009 I spent a ton of time and money at Bike Co. the service and product recommendations were always GREAT.
    I got out of the sport for a few years and now work within walking distance of BikeCo. I have been back in buying parts and getting info on the new models/trends this year. and I find the staff extremely helpful and well experienced. Super happy to have them close.

Negative: Low inventory. Very often what I am looking for is not there.
    Positive: Good Sh!t. They do not sell junk that does not make the cut. Thank them for so much trail testing hours logged.

I hear often about how expensive they are. Well MSRP is common, but much of the time I have found good value items there and even got my sweet Time pedals for less than Jenson and they were in stock and no one else had them in stock. Win Win! Thank you Bike Co again.

mike, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Went there tonight to buy some grips. Kara was on a roll about everything - Eagle, bottom bracket heights, crank arm lengths, Fox Shock availability, fashions, helmets, pedals... it was quite entertaining.

BTW, they will drop from MSRP if you ask.

Cyclotourist, Fueledbyex8 and Mikie like this.
  22. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    I normally don't write reviews, but since the Bike CO screwed us badly, I just had to let off some frustration. My boyfriend bought a high end Santa Cruz from them, and everything went wrong that could go wrong. First, they built the bike with the wrong color frame (how does that happen), but he took the wrong color anyways ( I would have made them change it to the color I ordered), but he did not want to cause any problems. Then, the drive train was acting up, making loud grinding noises. The bike went to the shop 4-5 times for them to figure it out. We were told the noise was normal? I videotaped it while riding, and it was horrible. Not even an iPod could tune out that noise. Each time, the bike was kept in the shop for days when my boyfriend should have been riding it. It was brand new after all. Then, they "figured" out the noise. It was the pedals. NOT!! Noise was still there. Finally, after much arguing, Sram was contacted, and a new drive train was sent out. No noise since. So, when we mentioned that it must be the drivetrain, they just could not figure it out? Then, it was the new "2018" seat post that creeked and cracked. Again, supposedly, that was normal and they could not fix the problem. So, we decided to send it in to Fox ourselves. Took the seat post off and called it in to Fox. We gave them the serial number, and what???? It was not a 2108 that we paid for but a 2017. Angry, but giving the Bike Co the benefit of the doubt, we brought it back. They played it down to a mistake that was done. Zach took the post in the back to "switch it out", and we got a "new" and greased up "2018" post back, at least that is what the Invoice said. 2 months later, the same problem occurs. WTF? So, we take it off again and look at the serial number. REALLY??? We got the same 2017 back. Another honest mistake? I don't think so. When the Bike Company finally took responsibility and gave us the 2018, they never really apologized. So, the 1 year warranty should have started when we finally received the 2018 we had paid for all along? Right? Wrong! When we had to send in the post, 2 days before warranty expired, we were still charged by the Bike Company, even though, they confirmed the post was installed months after the bike was purchased and therefore under warranty. They gave Fox the date of the bike purchase, therefore Fox did not honor the warranty. Now, they are saying that there is no record showing when the 2018 was actually installed. Of course there was no record because Zach already said it was done when it wasn't and put that on the Invoice. Nobody at the Bike Company is owning up to this. Did they really think we would go through such extent for no reason at all? I will never set foot in that corrupt shop again, and I would suggest everybody who does, check to make sure you are getting the parts you actually ordered and paid for.

23. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That’s some lame customer service!

mike, Dirtrider...., mtbfan and 3 others like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for posting this up @mtbfan

25. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Wow, that sounds rough. I had BikeCo rebuild my shock a few months ago and they did a great job with that. I have never taken it there for any other services though ... and I might not after reading your review.:eek:

mike, herzalot, Dirtrider.... and 6 others like this.
  26. Jmsracer

Jmsracer Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB130
    The story above is no surprise...
    I bought an expensive bike from them 5+ yrs ago, used them for maintenance, bought clothes, parts, tools etc for years from them and was continually told that I was a VIP customer blah blah.
    Approx. 1-1/2 yrs after buying the bike I brought it in for an inspection and adjustment of the XX1 derailleur clutch (after this visit dropped the chain a lot) a month or so later doing a hardware check discovered the clutch adjuster bore threads were stripped (completely gone) and the adjuster bolt was 10 minute epoxied back in. Took it to them and told the guy up front at a minimum I want them to pro rate a new derailleur and split the cost with me. Back room discussion takes place with the owner, they called me and said I could pick up my bike and there was no way that damage happened at their shop and I shouldn’t have taken it to another shop first. Hunh? I learned that day being “VIP” only applied when I was standing there with a credit card in hand, but didn’t really apply if I had a problem. You can’t treat every customer like they’re an idiot. Went back to buying everything online and doing my own work. Currently researching a new Yeti, gonna be an online order or a different dealer other than these guys who are right down the street.

Oaken, Torrent77, hill^billy and 11 others like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Feel free to chime in, BikeCo! You're getting hammered here... :eek:

mike, mtnbikej, Dirtrider.... and 7 others like this.
  28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I've mentioned this before...
    I have been a business owner a large majority of my life.
    I have to say that as a business owner, even when the customer is wrong, the customer is right. That is, if I want to keep their business and also importantly not reap the wrath of social media.
    It's no longer a word of mouth world... It's a Social Media announcement to the world in one click. Any shop owner that understands this will do well to make a customer happy. Sometimes, even at a loss.
    I know I have.

Just food for thought.

hill^billy, DBMX119, mike and 12 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I understand the frustration of poor customer service. I bought a brand new bike at a local shop and almost immediately had issues with the rear Avid Elixer brake(don’t give me sh!t, I didn’t know!). Every few weeks or once a month I’d bring it in for the rear brake and pay to have it bled and or new pads etc. Finally after almost a yr of this I find out the brakes have been recalled! All this time the shop made me feel like it was user error and I was too hard on the brakes! A holes! Finally they swapped the brakes out and I never had another issue after that. Not cool, not cool at all:mad:

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    What's that hoary old adage? "One aw sh!t outweighs a thousand attaboys."

I've never heard of BikeCo until now, and if this is all I have to go on....

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?