Who REALLY Wants to Lose Weight?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Mikie, Mar 23, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Inspired by @StrandLeper ...
    I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired... of being over weight!
    I am a shrinking 5' 11" and I currently weigh 207 lbs. I have half heartily attempted to get below 200 lbs. for like 2 years now.

Apparently, I am only kidding myself with the tactics I have tried.

I would be okay weighing 207 if it were mostly muscle, but it's not. I often joke that I have legs of steel :thumbsup: but, a belly of blubber :oops:.

My ideal goal would be around 185 lbs. but I would be thrilled with 190 lbs.
    One of the challenges is that Cathy equates love with food. Since she loves me a lot, I eat a lot.

Sooooo, I would like to build a support group (more like an accountability group with support) with any of you that feel the same way I do and want to get-r-done.

We can do similar as Strand...
    • State where we are at (weight wise) and where we want to be.
    • Report what we ate and what we weighed in that morning at.
    • Have fun with it but be encouragers (you know, the usual da blah blah...)
    Is anyone interested in doing this?

Mikie

Danmtchl, herzalot, Racer X and 3 others like this.
  2. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    A couple things... I have lost 6 pounds in the last month.

1) Portion control... unbelievably hard, but a little effort makes a difference.
    2) I bought the TRX straps and started doing some upper body workouts... not nearly enough, but I'm at least working a little into my routine.
    3) I added some nuts (Almonds and Peanuts) to my snacking routine.
    4) Cut as much sugar out as you can... but not completely.
    5) I try to fuel the machine every couple of hours... small in between snacks, fruit, nuts or a granola bar. Spread your calories out over time.

I'm hoping to be back down to 220 (currently 228) by May 1.

One thing i did a couple years back was download a calorie counter app and use it for a couple weeks... helps program your mind to just how much crap you eat.

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Currently 187-on the way down to 180.
    Eat less, exercise more.
    Don't eat after 8pm.
    I too, have a wife who is a wonderful cook and, along with my mother-in-law, equates food portions with love. So I get huge portions unless I complain. My solution was to get smaller bowls and plates. I also try to eat only one large meal a day.
    Snacks are mostly fruits and nuts and occasional cookies if I'm bad!

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    As the resident Biggest Loser on IMTB, I know what worked for me... July 2012 at 300 pounds, and about 205 today. I really put on the pounds at the holidays this year, but it's coming back off. I bottomed out at 190, but the wife didn't care for that... I'm happiest between 195-200. I also couldn't ride 5 miles easily at that time...

1. The light bulb has to go off in the head...
    2. Record everything (I use MyfitnessPal on the phone). I dropped 50 pounds in the beginning really fast by keeping track of the calories in my head. Then I hit the wall. Learning to enter everything as I consume it took a little practice, but it's like second nature now. This really forces you to look at the percentage of protein, fats, and carbs that you are consuming. The second 50 pounds came off at a more controllable rate with the data on hand.
    3. Buy an accurate kitchen scale. You'll be surprised at what a portion really is...
    4. Track calories burned on your workouts and match intake accordingly. I found that using Strava alone for calorie calculations was nuts. It inflates the numbers by roughly double, as to what I get when I wear the HRM. Sorry... If you're riding 1 hour, you're not burning the calories to eat a triple cheeseburger and fries...

Danmtchl, Sidewalk, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  5. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I was in the same position almost two years ago. I was up to 230 pounds. I went on a full bore diet for about six months. Nothing crazy, just dropped all fast food and sodas from my diet and starting eating smaller portions and more fruits & veggies. I got back down to 188. I've since then started migrating back to some snacks, but still haven't had a soda in almost two years(well, unless it comes with a double shot of Jack), and only grab an In & Out burger a couple times per month. I stay away from all other drive thrus. I've leveled off around 195 and have stayed there for a while.

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Mikie, number one in managing body composition is how you eat, so your going about this right. A few years ago I was 225 at 5' 7.5" and I decided to change that, so I drastically changed how I ate, cut out all the bread, sugar, carbs and added more protein, healthy fat and veggies. (been slacking a bit lately LOL). Ill always be heavyish (but muscular) its just in my genes but it has made a big difference, today I weigh 207 ( I know thats not a lot less but ive added almost 10 lbs of muscle, was 202 a year ago but whatever) and not super lean but i have lost lots of fat and added a bunch of muscle it seems. Number two in losing fat and gaining muscle is weight training; lower and upper body. it not only burns a ton of calories but it makes your body add calories to your muscle cells instead of fat cells, (i.e. less insulin resistant) and muscle burns calories even when just doing nothing. Of course keep doing the cardio (riding of course! mix in some walking/hiking too) but believe it or not way too much intense cardio can be counterproductive as it may make your body release cortisol (stress hormone) which can lower your metabolism . Like faust said its so tempting to come home after a big ride and eat way more calories than you burned, haha. Good luck with your journey!

7. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    As the Anglin brothers said to Clint Eastwood in the movie, Escape from Alcatraz....

I'm in.

:)

* Mikie, is this just a feeler thread? Will you start a new thread for this idea? Seem like some are already posting their stories.

Danmtchl, Mikie and LLPoolJ like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This is good stuff. I'm behind you guys 100%.

Faustie's #4 advice "Track calories burned on your workouts and match intake accordingly" seems like the basal equation to consider. Eating when hungry rather than "meals" can help keep a body from crashing and overeating in reaction, although it's easier said than done with some lifestyles. (Corporate America didn't seem to understand why I would go for lunch before 11am.)

Try drinking a quart of water upon awakening, and skipping the heavy caffeine jolt. Water will have the same GI effect, but will hydrate rather than dehydrate. I was a fitful bruxism sleeper until I ditched coffee some years ago. Quitting the bean juice helped me to drink less alcohol, too. Sleep and hydration might not be the most intuitive angles on weight loss, but they set the stage for good health.

Integrate your routine into your lifestyle. Make it effortless, even if it takes longer to get results. In the end you'll win bigger if there's no concerted effort or "diet" involved.

You guys got this... :thumbsup:

9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Well said Mike. Small changes are much easier to stick w/ as a mere mortal.

10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I'm 47 years old. 6'2"
    This morning I checked in @ 211 lbs.

When I started riding again 2013 I was about 235+. The first few pounds came off right away. Now the process have slowed down.
    My biggest issue for me is I hate feeling hungry. I prefer doing more then eating less, but I'm working on cleaning up my diet. More water, no sodas, less coffee/ice tea, less artificial sweetener, less bread, more salads, less red meat, more chicken, ect.
    My Kryptonite - Chocolate.

One of the issue I'm facing is my travel. I fly to Houston for 3 days every other week. Let me tell you one thing, the average restaurant food in TX is garbage. I try to eat in Panera, Chipotle (salad), and Olive Garden (soup and Salad), but sometimes I end up in the wrong place ordering the wrong food. I know I'm screwing it up, but.....

I don't have a set goal in mind, but I'm hoping to get kicked out of the Clydesdale division (200 lbs.) by the end of the summer.
    Ultimately, I just want to maximize my power to weight ratio. More muscle, less fat, fast climbs, with faster recovery.

11. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I'm 47. 5'10" and 225. At 40 I was probably around 310. The first 60 pounds were fairly easy, given a sudden lifestyle change (lost a job, started working for myself from home, was able to exercise every damn day and stay away from fast food). Plateaued around 250 for a while, then changed my eating habits again, cutting out a lot of carbs. Got down to about 210 a couple of times, but keep bouncing back up. Would love to get under 200, but seem to lack the commitment to do so lately.

My nemeses are sugar and beer. I can seem to cut back on one, but not the other. I'll need to cut both way back if I'm going to achieve my goal.

Like HBKites above, travel can be an issue for me. I love to try new places, sample the local breweries, etc. Plus I'm not on the bike (one reason I took up running, but some injuries have plagued me there). The good thing is when I travel I'm working long hours, on my feet and walking a lot, so that helps. By the way, HBKites, check out La Madeleine, which has several locations in Houston. I think you'll find some pretty healthy, tasty choices there.

At any rate, I'm in. Dino used to do a weight loss challenge each year on STR, and it was always a big motivator for me. Not the prizes so much, but the accountability. So, yeah, someone holding me feet to the fire usually helps.

Danmtchl, mike, HBkites and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    YES!
    This was to find interest. The O-fficial will come very shortly...

Danmtchl, mike, Racer X and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Looking for suggestions on how we want to do this. I'll open with these suggestions and we can adjust (trying to keep it simple):
    2) Current Weight and Target Weight
    3) What I chowed for the day
    4) Any tips or tricks I have found. Good Recipes, Websites, Articles, etc...
    5) Encourage others

Whatcha think?

Danmtchl and mike like this.
  14. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Those sound good. What about a target date? Since this not a contest, we could have different dates.

I think I'll put my stats in my signature and update the weight as it changes. Even something simple like
    195/190/175 - Aug. 1st
    Beginning weight, current weight, goal weight and goal date.

I like to weigh myself daily. Even with the fluctuations of how the body holds water, food and waste, it helps me stay on a routine. Some people like weekly weig-ins.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like it! Awesome! I want to leave this as fluid and as positive as possible. Just posting to my buds will encourage me. We are gonna knock this out of the parks!

Here it is:
    imtbtrails Ohhh-fficial 2016 Spring Weight Loss Challenge!

mike likes this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Congrats to those of you that have lost the wait. Unfortunately I lack willpower. When my ex left me 5 years ago I dropped 25 pounds relatively easy. If I wasn't working I was riding my bike, working out or sleeping. Jennifer is a wonderful cook and it is hard to say no to anything she offers up. She does cook rather healthy on a regular basis though. I think my biggest problem is eating late and having snacks after that. I think I do pretty well throughout the day. I'm 6-foot 230 and would love to get down to 205. I can easily maintain my weight. Getting there is the hard part.

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, mike and 3 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Can't I just upgrade my parts to lighter ones? For $1000, I can lose 400 grams!

I'm 208 ish, not bad for 6' 4" but my belly is becoming a bowling ball. Surfing works to remove stomach fat and build great shoulders, biking doesn't. When I drink (especially wine) I get hungry and snack like a fiend. When I drink coffee, I get hungry for carbs. If I cut out one or the other, I would be much better off. If I quit both, I would shape up in a hurry.

Oh, and that "exercise every day" thing probably matters. :confused: I don't do that, but I should.

But alas, I seem to use up all of my self control by biting my tongue at work. :(

Danmtchl, littlewave, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    @Faust29 Thanks Steve for the recommendation of myfitnesspal. I started using it and it's amazing what all foods they have in their database. I'm not really focused on weight loss per se (tho doesn't hurt), but some other dietary restrictions I have make it hard to find nutritious stuff with the right nutrient balance (cutting the sodium especially, and carb/fat/protein/sugar balance). It helps avoid some of the tasty but bad-for-you easy stuff. Very helpful!

PS-I don't eat much fast food but sometimes get a chicken rice bowl at flame broiler. Fairly healthy I thought (compared to greasy burger and fries). But then put 2 little tablespoons of their magic sauce on it and it's almost a full day's worth of sodium, ugh...

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8 and Faust29 like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... And don't think about the little red sauce packets at Chick-fil-a. Those suckers are a meal by themselves.

My worst salt entry was a turkey lunch at Mimi's Cafe... Something like 4000 mg. o_O And Trader Joes sushi isn't far behind. If they have to use that much salt, there's something wrong with it. :sick:

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Egyptian mummies....salt. Coincedence?

21. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    How's the progress on this Mikie?

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    After weighing in at 125 going into boot camp in '98, and ending up at 200 10 years later, I needed to do something about it. I'm 5'8".

I started "running" (quick waddle with walk breaks) in 2008 after dedicating myself to completing the Rock n Roll marathon in San Diego for 2009 (giving me about a year to train). I didn't lose a lot of weight, but I did lose some. However the confidence it gave me going from nothing, following the plan, and finishing has brought me to where I am today.

I slowly continued to lose weight as I adjusted my diet, mostly just portion control.

When I bought a new set of leathers during my motorcycle racing days on clearance that I couldn't fit in, but knew I was capable of, I went on a crash diet (I normally don't recommend it, but worked). I started drinking a lot of ice tea instead of soda (which I had already cut back on anyway with the running). I would survive on a foot long veggie sub from Subway (side benefit, cheap) during my work day doing HVACR (lots of labor) And I dedicated myself to running everyday as I learned to enjoy running, with trail running really changing that experience. But even if it was a short run, just get out the door and do it. It was amazing how often I would tell myself "just do a lap around the block and get it over", but then I'd be out there wondering if my now one mile run would be worth turning into 5+. I have never been a morning person, most of my running was at night before bed. I carried all my running gear in my work van and would choose to run where ever I was at the end of the work day as opposed to sitting in traffic.

That was 30 pounds in a month, bringing me down to the 160's and into my new leathers! I kept up the effort to improve fitness as I found that running faster was more fun compared to slower, and slowly dropped more weight.

Then I found triathlon. My first race was an event my mom volunteers at and treats as a little vacation near San Luis Obispo. She invited my wife and I and convinced me to try the off road sprint. I brought along the old Raleigh 3x8 rigid I had in the garage and dog paddled my way through the lake swim. The moment I exited the lake was when my life changed forever. I can't explain it, but this triathlon thing was something special. I never really liked swimming, wasn't any good at it, and yet before I had even got on the bike I was in love. That was the moment I went from trying to just get healthier to being an athlete.

Skipping from 2012 to today and the moral(s) of the story:

-Never too late to start.
    -Where you are today isn't where you have to be tomorrow, or even tonight.
    -Your goals can change. You can change them or they can change you.
    -Follow your passion, it may take you somewhere special.
    -Don't look for overnight success. I found overnight happiness when I found tri and trail running, but not success.
    -If you miss a goal or make a mistake, move on. Don't make it the norm to excuse it, but don't dwell when it does happen.

Mikie, herzalot, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My formula for losing weight:

*eat smaller portions (hard to do at first but you will adapt)
    *do not eat after 7pm (or at least 2 hours before bed)
    *drink LOTS of water (most of us do not drink enough)
    *avoid junk food (stop the snacking at home, avoid fast food joints, no soda)
    *get more sleep (our bodies metabolize food better when we get a full night's rest, yes, you lose weight while you sleep!)

Mikie, herzalot, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Great story... Thank you for sharing that. I could tell by your posts that you are in great shape, but this puts it into perspective. I'll never be fast or bone skinny, and don't really have the racer mentality, but I think us former fat guys have a better appreciation of the "before and after" and what it takes to get past that life hurdle.

I love seeing the 300 pound guys struggling to get up Black Star or similar... I'll stop and talk to every one of them.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 9 others like this.
  25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    You'll never hear me say anything negative about people trying. Yes, I have a lot of negative things to say about people who don't try (lazy people who say they want to be in better shape, but will only lift a finger to get a fry to their mouth). But there's a huge difference between the two.

I feel disappointed in people who don't want to try, but that's their choice. As long as they don't criticize people's choice.

That big girl walking on the treadmill at the gym? Way more bad ass than the guy who acts like he's all SpecOps because he's got an AR15 but couldn't climb the stairs to take a tactical position if their lives ACTUALLY depended on it. Lots of those where I work...

jimbowho, Faust29, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  26. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:

Let me tell you one thing....... that didn't happen.
    I'm hovering between 215-220. I know that at this point the only way to lose weight for me is to modify my diet (and ride more).

"Easier said than done"

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I'm about to kick my ass back into gear, with my recent lack of riding and stress I've been eating too many burgers and Ruebens without the riding to offset them. I was down to the low/mid 190s recently but tipped back over 200 yesterday.

Going to get back on my intermittent fasting from dinner until late morning when I have lunch and then back to grilling most dinners (not blaming her at all but the wife has also been seeking easier meals to make lately which haven't been as healthy.. I just need to tell her to pick up grill fixings and I'll make dinners so really ya my fault).

Aside from eating better and drinking less beer (such BS that I have to do that to lose my belly) I am going to try and workout some later afternoon rides rather than trying to race home to ride before helping out with kid duty.

Currently at 203ish and want to get to 180 and am just at 6'0" tall. My goal is to get back out for 25+ mile Santa Ana rides and to finish Counting Coup next year in under 8 hours (I did it in 9:03 this year). I've even thought about going SS on my HT for tough spins around Oaks but I don't even know where to start with it, confusing stuff to me regarding spacers and whatnot.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  28. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    [/QUOTE]I've even thought about going SS on my HT for tough spins around Oaks but I don't even know where to start with it, confusing stuff to me regarding spacers and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

You might have opened Pandora's box....

I would start by riding your HT bike as is in one gear (without any shifting - not easy).

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Get in touch with me....I'll help you out with that. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I've even thought about going SS on my HT for tough spins around Oaks but I don't even know where to start with it, confusing stuff to me regarding spacers and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

You might have opened Pandora's box....

I would start by riding your HT bike as is in one gear (without any shifting - not easy).[/QUOTE]

hell5.jpg

Mikie, Luis, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.