Squirt

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessory Reviews' started by Tom the Bomb, Mar 6, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Try this lube. My chain has never been cleaner and it last 4-5 rides. Good stuff.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Positive reviews tempts me to try this stuff again. Did not have good results when I tried it a few years ago. Went back to my White Lightning blend.

Mikie likes this.
  3. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Make sure your chain is clean before 1st application. I made this mistake.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  4. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I've been using squirt and for me, I apply every other ride. If I go too long without, shifting gets slower.

It's rec that you remove all traces of other lube in your chain first. As Squirt is water based, it won't work unless chain is totally free of other lube, ie oil. Water and oil don't play well together. I soak chain in a jar of simple green for a few days and then again. Let dry in the sun for a day before applying squirt.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  5. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I use Squirt on my road bike, I can go quite a long time before needing to lube again.

On the MTB...it leaves clumps on the chainring. I use the Rock n Roll blue on the MTB's. Apply every 3 to 4 rides.

Runs with Scissors, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Road Bike!
    People still ride those?

My road bike is back-up when all else fails.
    So this is not a good product for mountain bikes?

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Based on the descriptions listed above (has to be clean, oil and water don't mix, take off my chain and soak it in simple green twice...) I think I'll stick with Rock and Roll. R and R Gold keeps the drivetrain clean, and lasts for 3-4 hours of riding. I hear R and R blue lasts a bit longer.

Runs with Scissors, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  8. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I like Squirt because it's wax and water based so once it dries, doesn't really attract dust like any lubes that contains oil.
    And when it does or if there's too much lube, the wax/dust will flake off (or in the case of the chainrings, it can clump but out of the way).
    For me oil based lubes last much longer but is a dirt magnet and doesn't shed off.

With Squirt, once I start w/ a totally clean chain, I never put a rag on the chain anymore. Just reapply when appropriate, don't even need to wipe
    off excess as it'll flake off.

I've found that I prefer to dilute Squirt, add a tad of water to the bottle. For me, it seems to flow faster and reduces clumping. But that's prob because I'm using less wax to start w/.

Downside is if you ride in the rain, it prob washes off more easily than oil. It's def not for everybody...

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll be sticking with Rock & Roll Gold also. It works, which is all the validation I need. :geek:

@Mikie, I actually put more miles (and time) on my road bike in an average year than on my mountain bike. That's just the way the ball bounces..or tires roll...or whatever. :whistling:

Mikie likes this.
  10. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    The Squirt is hit or miss for people. Some get it to work great and some don't.

Here are a couple pics.

My road bike runs Squirt. Apply and don't wipe as the instructions say. You can see the build up on the cassette and chain. I'm switching to a different lube the next time I switch chains. Probably the Dumonde Tech stuff.

The other is my 29r with the RnR Blue. This is after about 4 or 5 rides. The chain is still shiney. When it was moondust dry...I would just do a quick wipe after the ride and the chain would be shiny again.

I've also run Chain-L. The stuff makes the drivetrain run super quiet, but it's a bloody mess no matter how much I wipe the chain. I understand the need for a heavy lube if riding in the wet...but this is So Cal and for the most part...I can get away with a fairly light lube.

IMG_20160308_142601.jpg

IMG_20160308_142326.jpg

11. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Just started using this after being a tri flow person, I apply every other ride and it's worked great

Mikie likes this.
  12. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    If you are clumping you may be using too much. No clumps for me.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?