Music... I Listened to Some

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Oaken, Dec 14, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    this came out of left field. I like.

StrandLeper and tortoise like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You are right... didn't see that coming.

3. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    I listened to something too.

Oaken, ridinrox and doublewide like this.
  4. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    War on Drugs, lost in the dream. The new philly sound. Amazing IMHO. Don't know how to imbed from the phone while eating lunch in a parking lot in a bad part of town.

Dire Straights meets Paul Simon meets Beck meets Tom Petty. I think there is a little New Order, some Wire Train, and and some early 80's U2 electric piano to boot. Anyhow, just a really interesting sound and some pretty heavy stuff.

herzalot, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, they're pretty great!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ2zWQNnDpo7mud9SNB4W5wc

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I watched the U2 Paris concert last night, and really enjoyed it. Loooong time fan of the band, and even though their time has come and gone, will always love their live shows. This was the concert that had to be re-scheduled after the Paris attacks last month. A very powerful concert, similar to the post-9/11 U2 concerts in New York. Whether you like their music or Bono's politics, they have always been an emotional and passionate band.

http://www.hbo.com/u2-innocence-experience-live-in-paris/index.html

Here's their concert prior to the attacks:

StrandLeper, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yeah, "Rattle and Hum" was great as long as they were musicating and not pontificating.

-ROCKY-, rojomas and StrandLeper like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I almost was able to go to that Tempe concert that they filmed a lot of R&H at. 1988. "I was this close..."

StrandLeper and Mikie like this.
  9. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    LONG time U2 fan (from 1981, Boy forward). I don't think that their time has gone. I went to a few of their shows at the Forum during this tour and would have gone to every show, but for a trial starting the next week. The best musical experience of my life. It was a Broadway show, an intimate biographical picture, and a rock and roll concert, all in one night. I could go on about the restlessness... and how hard they work to continually earn the praise that their fans heap upon them. Throughout the show, Bono's constant refrain was their desire to produce art... and how thankful they are that they can try to make art their life's work. The best part was that (like for most of their arena tours), my $55 GA tickets put me ten feet from the stage. I gave a pair to a friend who was a casual fan... he is a casual fan no more (now he is rabid). They have done it all, reinvented themselves three times, LOVE America, are phenomenal musicians and will never be complacent.

This is how intimate this tour was: When discussing "I will Follow," the minor hit from Boy, Bono confessed that it was a suicide note that he wrote as a teenager after his mom died... talk about heavy. Yes, that same song that you danced to in the 80's. An intimate show at the Forum. Incredible feat to pull off.

Strand

(thanks CycloTourist for posting that WOD for me... that is my favorite cut off this album)

Oaken, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  10. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Left Field?? I call foul!! :laugh:

Oaken, StrandLeper and Mikie like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think they're one of the best live bands out there. And they seem incredibly thankful at every turn. Loved reading your experiences! I haven't really enjoyed an album since ATYCLB though. I came on board with Unforgettable Fire. That album is pure dream magic for me. Fire -->ATYCLB (minus Pop) is a damn fine run of albums in my book!!! Will always wish I could have seen them at Us Festival, but just a touch too young to have talked the folks into letting that happen!

Mikie and StrandLeper like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Huge U2 fan at one time myself, and still love their work ethic. I love the story of their creation as four guys with 0 musical experience, save for Mullen Jr.s days in marching band with a drum. Same 4 guys for 40 years - even through superstardom. I believe War was their best work - so earnest, so urgent and so haunting (Surrender). Edge's approach to guitar was something never done before - purely sonic. Not blues based, no scales, no string bending - just haunting, ringing tones, stabbing staccato chords, and repeatable, memorable riffs - all done with that classic delay effect. He left tons of room in the music - the space between the notes is at least as important as the notes (something AC/DC was also very good at - in a completely different way).

You want a different take on U2? Try Robbie Robertson's solo album from 1987. Here's a taste. Make sure you get to the smokin' hot guitars at the end of the track (4:30+):

StrandLeper, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That was great! I love the U2 collaborations/side projects!

14. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    I have a funny story about the US festival, a stoner, a moped, and walking home that I will share on a ride sometime. (Spoiler, I grew up in Whittier)...

Unforgettable fire is magical. Magical.

Pop was a tough one.

Boy is my favorite because of its "rawness".

My son and I like to listen to Boy on vinyl because a key transition is butchered on the CD.

I didn't like "No line on the horizon" until I saw the show at the Rosebowl. Then I realized that the album was written for a stadium tour . Now I love it and listen to it on long and lonely climbs.

Very well put: "room in the music".

Yup, 40 years and still best mates.

Strand, out.

Oaken and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    The future of the Blues is a 10 year old ginger from Great Britain.

16. verdugist

verdugist Guest

U2 I had a hard time getting into but they seem like good song writers. The bass line in "Mysterious Ways" is badass. Guitarist never impressed me.

I always thought David Gilmour was a guitar lord. Great phrasing, tone and feel. Floyd - Live at Pompeii is interesting...

Van Halen (F.U.C.K.) and Jimmy Page had some sick blues leads.

RIP Weiland:

That's a nice rendition of "Down"...

cracklord.

scottay and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I've been a U2 fan from the start as well, and have seen them many times. They always deliver. 2 months after 9/11 @ Staples was pretty amazing.
    I've always liked listening to Joshua Tree while driving up 395.
    red-hill-3-1-of-1-450x450.jpg

Love the WoD.
    I'm partial to First Aid Kit lately.

Obsidian and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, not too bad!

Oaken likes this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Like most of whats been posted, and now some more!

Versions of both of these songs, Joe and YealWolf, are on the main playlist in my car.

Prefer the acoustic from Joe Bonamaso, and while searching for a song ran across this..
    All I can say is Damn...that boy got skilz!
    Get best after about 3:15 on, and the audio improves too!

Yelawolf,
    Like this song a lot.

scottay likes this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Exactly - you are most likely comparing him to other guitarists. He was never a guitarist, as defined by other guitarists. He made sounds, rhythms and moods using guitars and effects. He was as influential in music as Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and Carlos Santana. He re-defined the use of the instrument and pioneered a sound and style that was incorporated by 25 years of bands that followed.

No - he is not technically proficient as a guitarist. The cool thing is, he would be the first to admit it. Go Dave Go!

StrandLeper likes this.
  21. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Hate U2.......Just watched ( some of) Roger Waters The Wall video. He does the whole album. Really cool, and the guitarist was crazy good. Dunno who it is. Note for note tho.
    Way too much for one sitting for me tho.

StrandLeper and verdugist like this.
  22. verdugist

verdugist Guest

U2 seems overly commercial compatible. i.e. you can play it at a wedding, funeral, birthday, party, whatever. I tried Achtung Baby to be fair this morning in the car, there are some good songs, just not exciting (or special?) enough to keep listening to.

Pink Floyd was *extremely* special to me in college. My favorite band (that I rarely listen to nowadays - strange).

23. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    "I tried Achtung Baby ... this morning in the car..." That is the best EVER. :)

When was Achtung Baby released ('92 I think) ? What else was out there when Achtung was released? What did the album before Achtung sound like? Why did U2 change their sound and approach to pop music so completely with Achtung? (Because they were getting stale) Trust me, when Achtung was released... it was pretty special.

We all have different musical tastes and that is one of the things that makes the world go 'round. But seriously, the album before Achtung, Bono shouted urgently "All I got is a red guitar (beat, beat) three chords and the truth!" Then the Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno produced Achtung comes out incorporated hip hop, techno, ... and a ballad... and it blew me (and a lot of the music listening world) AWAY.

It reminded me of Bowie's Young Americans... wait, what did he just do? Did he just go from apocolyptic glam rock (Diamond Dogs) and give us Philadelphia Soul filtered through a waify British dude? Yes he f'ing did!

To each his musical own... but Verdugist, you made my day.

Strand, out.

Cyclotourist and verdugist like this.
  24. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I'm very happy Strand, that I made your day. No adult has ever said that to me that I can remember. lol. Excellent! In fact, I'm going to quote you in my next signature.

The early 90's had a lot of great music. The best album out of all that (for me) was RHCP BSSM. That is just unbelievable. Key changes, tempo changes, fusion, it's all there man.

But overall, I'd say it's hard to beat Bowie, Doors, Floyd.

25. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee

I just got to see conflict for the first time and I was totally blown away. Very different from the U2 this thread is about, they are a good band just not my style. I am more of the 80's punk that I was introduced to in 2nd grade. Some all time favorites
    Crass
    Subhumans
    Adicts
    Descendents
    NOFX
    Conflict

Another band from Ireland that should be bigger than they ever were is the Stiff Little Fingers. The political anger of U2 mixed with the speed of punk.

26. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Singlespeed,

I can't do 80's punk all of the time. But there is most definitely a time and a place for it in my life (still). I remember my first spin of TSOL's "dance with me" ... and how much trouble I got in when I played "Code Blue" on the PA system in the gym during warm-ups for a volleyball match. Something about necrophilia aroused the Vice Principal. (aroused is the intended word choice)

Strand, out.

27. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Achtung + Zooropa are great! Quite the tonal shift from earlier albums, they left a lot of fans behind.
    Finishing the album up with a Johnny Cash collaboration, just blew me away. This is before J.C.'s American Recordings came out, and he was very much out of the public eye at the time.

ridinrox likes this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    U2 conversation has TOTALLY hijacked this thread! Sorry rest of the world!

to bring it back to general conversation, this morning was an awesome 80's blast for me on the drive to work:

R.E.M.'s Orange Crush
    Queen + Bowie's Under Pressure
    New Order's Age of Consent

ridinrox, Oaken and StrandLeper like this.
  29. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
  30. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Every once in awhile, I go back to Zeppelin. Then I get stuck on Zeppelin for awhile. Listening to "When the Levee Breaks" while trudging up a long climb... LOVE THAT!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?