Allergy Shots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marty657, Jun 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    My seasonal allergies now seem to be year round. Been kicking my butt for the last month and turned into a major infection last week. The most intense headache I have ever had. On antibiotics and antibacterial drugs now for 2 weeks.

None of the OTC remedies seem work anymore. Does anyone have any insight or use the injections? I've read that they are a big improvement in managing allergies but would like to hear from someone who actually use them. Thanks all.

2. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    My wife is allergic to just about everything and suffered sinus infections and other various miseries constantly. She has been receiving injections for several yrs. now I think it is once every 3 weeks and it's a tremendous help for her. She swears by them.

Marty657 likes this.
  3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I've had on and off sinus issues for 6 month or so. It got so bad a couple months ago that I went to an allergist, who did the 'skin prick' test of 80+ different allergens. I was not allergic to any of them. Sinus issue cleared up on its own until a couple weeks ago, now full on again. Constantly blowing gunk out that has a lovely yellow-green color and the thickness of molasses, so it is definitely an infection now. Primary doc game me an antibiotic a week ago. No help, so he gave me a stronger one today.

Sudafed generic usually helps clear the sinus at least temporarily. Doc doesn't want me to take it regularly because it increases blood pressure which I've had some problems with. The nose spray "Afrin" works great also for a couple hours, but if you use it more than a few days regularly it dries things up so much I start blowing blood out. Doc says 3 days max then take a week off of it.

So no real solution for me yet. Buy some stock in kleenex or puffs I guess...

Marty657 likes this.
  4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I did allergy shots for several years as a kid, my brothers and I had bad allergies-I mean hospital visits for petting a cat or rolling in the grass-bad. I still have them but now any otc pill generally takes care of it if I take it before being exposed. Our family Dr. credited the shots with the improvement and took me off sometime in my teens.

Marty657 likes this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Never done allergy shots but I too seem to have allergies year round for the past few. Flonase seems to keep it manageable most of the time for me but once in a long while during a strong High Pressure system, I will get that nagging sinus headache that only psuedoephedrine can tame.

Could me the con-trails, laced with allergens. If the Govt keeps us sick, they will make more money through the pharmaceutical companies.

Marty657 and H2oChick like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yeeesh. Sorry to hear of all this year-round misery. I am sitting here with an earache, that seems sinus related. Last time I had a severe sinus infection, it triggered Bell's Palsy. Still drooping in some places as a result. :oops:

Marty657 likes this.
  7. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Netti pot has changed my life... i use it multiple times a day when allergies and dust are kicking my butt. i still use otc zertec and flownase along with prescription inhaler as needed. but netti pot has helped me soo much i highly recommend it

Marty657, Derkderkall and CBone like this.
  8. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Thanks, been doing the Netti for years, it helps and is probably the only thing keeping me sane. Your routine looks like mine and it used to work but no longer effective. Just made an app to see an allergist to give it a try.

Thanks all for the replies and info.:thumbsup:

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Marty657 I do not know what kind of diet you have. Your allergies could be related to the food you eat or are not eating. One major way for your body to tell you it doesn't like what you are putting into it. Is by having an allergic reaction to it. check the article on the link below. Good place to start, just FYI

https://www.everydayhealth.com/allergy-photos/allergies-and-food.aspx

Marty657 likes this.
  10. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Thanks Redman for the info, good stuff. My diet virtually mirrors the article. Been a fitness nut most of my life and allergies were not to bad until I got in my late 50's. It is looking like the shots are my next option., I'll find out next week.

Redman likes this.