tennis elbow?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konakc, May 29, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Anyone have issues with the outer part of the elbow pain, aka tennis elbow? I've been experiencing mild pain for the last forever, but this past week, its been severe enough where just bending it is painful.. I know I need to rest it so did not ride at all this past memorial day but now I am at a point that I just gonna live with the pain and ride... 3 days of prime riding weather and no ride was killing me...

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My elbows used to bother me after riding and I just took it as a sign of old age. Switching to the carbon bars has cut down on the pain quite a bit...

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have had some "tennis" elbow issues due to wrenching on bikes and general overuse. My good old Dr. told me to not use my elbow-for a couple of months! Then if it didn't get better, we could look into getting surgery-yeah right! That sounds like a good plan....
    On the advice of my wife, who happens to be the smartest person I know;), I went to a Chinese acupuncturist. After 8 treatments, 2x/week for a month, I was relieved of the pain and stiffness and have returned to my normal masturbatory habits. Sorry Lefty.
    Really, the treatment actually worked-for me. Definitely look into something other than surgery-unless that is the last option.

4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    couple of months? haha... 3 days and I'm going nuts...

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It’s uust an overuse injury.....the only way to make it better is to decrease the use.

I used to get it pretty bad when I first riding the SS. Cranking on the bars while climbing definitely aggregated it.

Still acts up from time to time.

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    From what I understand, the overuse of the tendon and it's travel over the bone cause the issue. It seems that minor tears, too close to the bone/tendon connection, can confuse the body into thinking it needs to build up bone in the area. This can result in misplaced bone crystals causing pain and further injury.
    The acupuncturist used the needles to "stimulate" the area but also used them, somewhat painfully, to scrape under the tendon and promote movement. No swelling or persistent pain and I was able to work and resume normal activities immediately.
    I would recommend my Chinese Dr. but she passed away suddenly last year.

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I injured my elbow this fall while stripping and refinishing doors. Just sort of ignored it and kept riding, and it's probably 90% better seven months later! Now waiting on my knee to get better!

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The Chinese have their physical realm in order. Perhaps not the driving or taking photos or walking in public, but you can’t argue the demographics on the local trails and mountain summits.

9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Not tennis elbow but I do get the dreaded Floop elbow....nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean.

mountaingirl sara, mike, Luis and 8 others like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have “tennis elbow” in my wrists, shoulders, hands, feet, ankles, knees, hips, and in my back, as well.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    In the past, I would have told @rossage he is a quack along with his needle sticking crony. HOWEVER, he is 100% right in my book. There is definitely something to acupuncture. It totally helped Mrs. Watson.

The Chinese got it right with blood traffic flow via acupuncture. Please give it a try.

12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I too got tennis elbow but from pulling tubes from tires. I wore a tennis elbow brace/cuff thingy. I usually have to ice my arm when I get home and massage the muscle. Its helped but it hasn't gone away. There is a low dose steroid that you can take that will help also.

13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Acupuncture.... um my gma used to practice it... let me just tell you.. I saw her stick a million needles into the back .. me..6 year old boy walked in... kinda freaky.. she also used these glass bowls , put a cotton ball w/ rubbing alcohol on fire, into it and let it suction on ... scary ... ok sure, I'll try it!

mike, rossage, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    It's chi not blood flow

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah! That's old school cupping...works for Michael Phelps...

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

Remember, the best western medicine bled George Washington to death.
    Also, a popular western medicine remedy to revive an unconscious person was to literally blow smoke(tobacco) up their ass...

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    So does herb, according to past reports.

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Acupuncture, cupping, and a little weed...sounds like a wonderful way to start the day!
    23 gold medals tells the story

19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Correlation =/= Causation

:)

20. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I've had some elbow issues, but it's on the inside, not the outside. And since we're discussing elbow pain and someone else might have experienced it, I'll go ahead with the slight derail ... The cause of my pain is bending the wrist back while exerting pressure (think push-ups), something I discovered I was doing both on the bike and in the gym. The chief cure for that is don't do it, and keep your wrists straight when on the bike or lifting weights. On the bike, the first thing I did was move my brake levers and shifters so that the brake levers are directly opposite my shoulders in normal riding position (i.e. I can't see my brake levers in this position). The second thing I did was shorten my stems. I still need to think about it and consciously make sure I'm not bending my wrist back on the bike, especially when I'm out of the saddle, but it's better.

Regarding tennis elbow and acupuncture … my wife plays tennis and years ago had a bout with tennis elbow. After trying all the usual fixes (hydrocortisone etc.), she tried acupuncture. Not only did it cure it, it hasn't returned since.

21. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I'm a lifelong tennis player... had a serious bout of tennis elbow, couldn't hold a cup or turn a door knob for months.

Do a quick google for tennis elbow for the exact location of the tendon in question. TE is usually associated w/ the upper
    part of the forearm, not the pointy end of the elbow.

It's possible that you have ulnar nerve inflammation:

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/disea...trapment-at-the-elbow-cubital-tunnel-syndrome

I do as well and that's the primary reason why I ride a long travel bike. I couldn't/wouldn't ride anything but. Lack of skilz
    notwithstanding...

My opinion on acupuncture has changed over the decades. 30 years ago, I'd say that it's a miracle cure. I've done my fair share w/ needles from top of my head to my feet and most in between. For some ailments that it was effective, unfor the effectiveness reduced over time and eventually became completely ineffective. For some, it never worked at all. Lastly, some introduced very very nasty side effects. IMO, you have to know your body and what ails you, they all claim they can fix everything. I'm done w/ acupuncture.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That would certainly wake me up!

23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Is there any particular activity you do other than riding that you may be able to attribute the pain to? It may not even be tennis elbow. Pain with elbow bending is not one of the main complaints of TE sufferers.

24. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    12 oz. curls? :thumbsup:

25. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    time to see a doctor..
    No. My work doesn't require any physical labor... I've had this pain for plus 6 months but it was never that bad... however last weej its gotten to a point where it hurts to brush my teeth or squeeze shampoo bottle...
    what sucks is that I've stayed off the bike for almost a week and not getting any better..
    Riding always makes everything better...
    made appointment to see doctor.. will try acupuncture

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  26. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Hope she's still playing... my wife plays in multiple leagues and she and many of her teammates suffer arm issues. Many factors contribute to TE.. overuse, lack of conditioning, father time and wrong equipment. The last one I can help with...

I offer to restring (free string, labor, dampener and grip) because I hate to see TE taking folks away from the courts. The most common problem is most are pushed to buy what the pros use, most popular are ultra light and stiff Babolat rackets and poly strings at tensions they can't handle. Guaranteed to produce TEs, not a matter of if, only a matter of when.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Kc, I guess it’s obvious to try icing it. Ice can be pretty amazing IME, and they have all these nifty gel packs nowadays.

Hope you can work through it soon :)

28. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Oh well. Acupuncture hasnt helped. No riding for almost two weeks.. doctor sends me a rferral for more doctor...
    No riding is really bad for the mind..
    But both doc n acupunt say rest...
    Been riding 3 to 4x a week to nothing...
    Tried to ride but just going down fully loop was painful on the downhills...
    I would ride anyway but hard to brush teeth post ride

29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Happy trail fun friends...
    I sure miss ridin..
    Yes even the floop...

Danimal, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  30. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Just took a sip of beer.. that was painful..

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?