new update to Pivot 429 trail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, May 17, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike/trail-429/#1

Reviewers have always shown a lot of love for this bike, lately they still show the love, but complain that it was seriously in need of an update..

well. here it is. Upped the travel to 120 in the rear. Takes 27.5+, a few tweaks to the angles...

I'm really digging the red frame...

2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    the picture on my avatar is a 429 trail. I love that bike. Its perfect for everything in LA/OC.. good enough climber and can go downhill w/o breaking my wrists... Although I realize there is no such thing as an all around bike, this comes close.. Can't wait to demo the new updated version... actually better not.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    An ode to the Hightower's colorway! Looks nice though, pretty much what I'm looking for in a bike: Trail bike in the shorter 120-130 range, with Boost/plus capacity.
    (Found the price) Are they PRC or ROC made?

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    oh dang.. I gotta go to work but just quickly read the link... it improves in all areas... a little more in the rear,, a little lighter.. and that red!

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I loved my 429. The new red color makes it look like a Hightower, which has already been said above...

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My friend bought one at a pivot demo 4-5 months ago .
    429 trail to replace his curent 429 ( which is now for sale, XL size ) .
    Pivot couldn't produce it until April, then cancelled the order saying the bike was discontinued . He had paid in full over $6k in advance, so was surprised.

Ended up on a santa Cruz hightower CC XO1.

So, will pivot actually ship it if bought?
    Who knows.....

Danmtchl, UPSed, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  7. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Maybe due to the fact that they were getting ready to switch to the new model?

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Who knows, they didn't give much info when cancelled.
    They said it was a new model at time of purchase..... at least that's what I was told during the demo. :cautious:

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    A little bit of communication goes a long way...

Danmtchl and Danimal like this.
  10. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Only problem is super boost rear hub. Difficult to buy wheelsets with 157mm. Also super boost would effect crank q factor. For short travel, don't you want lowest possible q factor to be able to comfortably pedal all day.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Strange... I had a friend who had the exact same experience. Even the same sized frame. Also ended up with a Hightower. So weird!

12. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    It's called 157, but it is the same width as the old 150 DH standard, (Which, IIUC is part of why they chose it.)
    The only real problem for me with SuperboostplusextraBBQOMGWTFeleventyone, is that I want my next trail bike and my next hard tail to both share 29/B+ wheels. I'm getting a Karate Monkey for the Full Rigid/HT duties, and it is 145 Gnot Boost, (148/142 compatible.) The 157 and the PF BB aren't deal breakers for me, just bummers.

I rode the Mach429Trail and loved it, (Of the 24 bikes I've demo'd over the last 4 years, it is tied for #1 with it's stable mate, the Switchblade.) It has a flexy backend, (At least under my 275 lb carcass,) but somehow this doesn't bother me while riding. The Switchblade, (Which is also SuperDoubleDogDareBoostPlus,) doesn't feel flexy at all. I can't help but think that had something to do with the DH hub spacing on the new Trail 429.

I LOVE the aesthetics of the frame. I loathe the gross, swoopy, broken back look of older pivots, and I really like the functional, BMX-esque look of the Mach 5.5 and the T429. It's on the shortlist for next trail bike, (Devinic Django 29, Evil Following MB, or Salsa HT/PR could edge it out on hub size or vagaries of linkage feel.) If it was available alloy, 148, & threaded BB, it'd probably be in the lead.

13. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Have you rode the django 29? Really interested in that bike, seems right on the lines of what I would want for my next bike(similar to this 429, but more affordable for us pleb types).wondering how you found it size wise...

14. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Unfortunately, I've only rolled around the parking lot on one. I was curious about it, but after riding the Salsa Pony Rustler, (Also a Split Pivot,) I got more interested in the Django. The standover on the SPR is a bit high, and I like the numbers better, (on paper) for the Django. My LBS is trying to get another demo in, so I'll be sure to ride it if I can.

15. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Another point in the Devinci's favor is that they offer both carbon and alloy frame only, (QBP only sometimes offers the Horsethief carbon frame. If I wanted an alloy Pony Rustler, I'd have to buy complete.) I'm not a carbon hater by any means, but given a choice and a $900 price difference, I'll take the weight penalty of alloy, (And the ability to make a shiny frame.)

16. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    For me,a huge draw of Devinci is they still make their alloy frames in Quebec!

17. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    That's a definite plus for me as well. I don't turn my nose up at ROC made frames, (My current fleet is about 50/50 US or Taiwanese origin,) but all other things being equal, North American manufacture will win out.

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?