Delivery Methods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runs with Scissors, Dec 6, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Many of us order stuff online because the LBS doesn't carry it, and we don't want to pay them to do what we can do for ourselves.

Personally, I'll give the LBS every chance to take my money but it seems that on my bike build I have to order online to get the specific build items I want.

Some of you Amazon users may know this already, but for those that don't, Amazon offers delivery to an "Amazon Locker." I used this recently on an order, and picked it up today. Ordered in the normal fashion, and the tracking email told me it was delivered. A separate email gave me a barcode with a number to enter if I had a problem with the barcode.

This particular location is in a 7-Eleven (many of them seem to be). I checked it out before I submitted the order...and it really is a bank of lockers inside a 7-Eleven. I scanned the barcode at the bank of lockers, it told me to stand back while the locker door opened, and I retrieved my order.

Holy carp, this is like the best thing since sliced bread. No worries about porch pirates or other issues as long as you pick your delivery point appropriately.

I'll still give the LBS every chance I can, but this is a great way to securely get your stuff.

This isn't Amazon specific, by the way...let us know about your experiences with other methods also.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Somebody needs to live in a safer area. They also need a delivery driver that will jack somebody's Sh!t up if they take their customers packages. :D:p:gag:

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Unfortunately the one that got "misappropriated" was via USPS. They don't particularly care after it's delivered.

I figure the UPS driver would be long gone also by the time it got snaked. :)

Faust29, Cornholio, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I've used the drop box method before, when they offered free overnight delivery to the box. Just a short ride to an Albertsons near me.

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We order a lot on line nowadays... it’s not uncommon for us to get over a dozen deliveries per week (3 today). We’ve never had an issue with porch pirates.

Watch... I just jinxed myself. :cautious:

6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have my packages delivered to my work if possible. But if they get delivered to the house, my neighbor is a retired cop and watches our Cul-de-sac like a hawk.

7. I did not know this locker thing, thanks for shareing.

If I am shipping expensive stuff out in CA I try to use this long trusted overnight courier and frienght service http://www.affovernight.com/

Super easy online ordering system, but you can’t really specify pick up times so I always have my packages picked up from work. Sent my fork and shock to DVO this way, it was $31 overnight and no prepayment they mail an invoice :)

If I buy something and seller agrees and I need it overnight I will prepare the shipment info and email the seller a label to print. They are great for heavy or bulky items that must be overnight. And the packaging can be minimal because they don’t huck items Around and damage them. Bubble wrapped surfboard with cardboard around the tip tail and fins to SF? No problem.

8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I used to use the Amazon lockers when we lived on the peninsula in Newport. Had some Omaha steaks stolen off of our porch amongst other items over the years. Usually I’d just have stuff delivered to my office but when it was possibly arriving on the weekend I’d do the locker and make the trip up to a nearby 7-11 that had them, nice option to have.

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have ordered high dollar items a few times (bikes) that could be subject to damage during shipping. In cases like this, I ship the item to the shipper's local retail store (if it was shipped via UPS, I have it shipped to my local UPS Store). This way I can partially unpack it and inspect it before I sign for it. It also happens to be safer where package theft is concened. Those pesky package thieves work every block of every city on Earth these days. :mad:

10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I haven't heard of this, thanks.

Though in my case, my LBS can pretty much get me anything I want. But also being my sponsor, I can side benefits (I also do my work at the shop too, I get ALL THE TOOLS!).

You would think that Norco, being full of gun toting conservatives would be a good place. But, nope, stuff gets stolen all the time off of porches.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    In a similar vein, the traditional brick and mortar stores are using the same "locker" concept. The Wal-Mart in Foothill Ranch has a bank of lockers at the front of the store. Order an item on-line, and have it delivered to the store. Get an e-mail when it hits the locker... Target has something similar. They've done away with the traditional "customer service" desk, and replaced it with an "on-line orders/ customer service" area in the front of the store.

12. Retail locations will become smaller "showrooms" with will call, and click to order will be norm. My wife is buying 1/2 our groceries on Amazon prime now, I get fresh food delivered at midnight!!!!!! We got our life back avoiding trips to the store with 3 kids.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?