E-bikes everywhar....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonsaiNut, Dec 4, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And now, a word from our sponsors....Special Ed says you can be superhuman!!!!

upload_2017-12-6_18-47-24.png

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have no problem with e-bikes in the city or on pavement.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like the way you guys think!
    Well... on THIS subject anyway...

I now use the imtbgear motto on things of this nature...

All the things you need, none of the stuff you don't.
    Do I NEED No eBike Stickers?
    Well, that is a resounding YES!

4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Speaking of e-bikes everywhar... this hole just opened up near me..
    IMG_6806.jpg

Here's what me & Rusty think...
    poop-on-grass.jpg

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Is Rusty dropping the Holiday Yule log? :D

BTW, that store front is the perfect place to slap one of the "no e-bikes" stickers on. :whistling:

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I wrote to PeopleforBikes.

I wrote:
    "Make sure your event does not promo eBikes on non motorized trails. Your summit and eBike industry is causing a disaster for the conventional off-road cyclists." -Mikie imtbtrails

They wrote back:
    Hi Mikie,

We don't promote e-bikes on non motorized trails unless land managers do first. I respectfully disagree that our work is causing a "disaster," but thanks for letting us know what you think.

Morgan

Morgan Lommele
    E-Bike Campaigns Manager

Bicycle Product Suppliers Association/PeopleForBikes Coalition
    P.O. Box 2359 / Boulder, CO 80306
    EMAIL:morgan@peopleforbikes.org
    MOBILE:720.470.2981
    PeopleForBikes.org

I responded:

"Thanks Morgan!
    I genuinely appreciate that you do not promote motorized bike use on non motorized trails.

However Sir if you do not believe that the promotion of eBikes is not causing havoc in the cycling community then you apparently do not have any kind of pulse on that community.

I own and operate a mountain bike forum website www.imtbtrails.com
    It's what led me to you in the first place by frustrated members on my site.

I suggest you stop on by the site and try and start a pro eBike conversation regarding the use of motorized bicycles and how they are received by the cycling community and see how that goes for you.

Now to be honest, I have been grooming my site for a long time that it's mandatory to attack the issues and NOT each other, and that has gone pretty well. I nearly banned all conversations and posts on eBikes because it was tearing my forum community apart.

There is an increasing growth of cyclist that now have abstained whenever possible from manufacturers that manufacture and promote eBikes. Now to be clear, I'm referring to eBikes that are being used on non motorized trails. There is a plethora of those folks out there with full face helmets self shuttling up those trails to bomb back down them with no regard for other trail users. Local bike shops have promoted this in insidious ways. Buyers of these bikes either do a great job of acting or are completely unaware that they purchased a motorized bike not eligible for non motorized trails. Many deny they even HAVE a bike with a motor. There are user groups (hikers and equestrian) that are now not distinguishing between eBikes and hBikes. Therefore there is a growing community of people who want to ban ALL bikes from non-motorized trails.

So when your website states a plan to meet with industry leaders to promote the growth of eBikes within the United States, my interpretation is "disaster", unless your goal is to keep eBikes on streets, motorized dirt and paved bike paths. Is that your organizations long term position?"

Thanks for the conversation...
    Mikie
    imtbtrails

tick, MattB, DangerDirtyD and 10 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    As long as the owner makes sure the motorized bike riders know which trails are....OpenTrails....for electric motor driven cycles.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    With a store name like that... What do YOU think?

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    There are many asshat MtB ers who do not ride e-bikes but damage our relationship with other trail users in serious ways. The notorious motor bikes won't help our cause, but careless DH stormtroopers, music blasters, big-groups-in-a-crowded-park party bikers and STRAVAssholes do at least as much damage to our trail access. I think the motorbikes are just the straw that might break the trail access back.

tick, Sidewalk, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

You are just kidding us right?

11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm waiting for the off-leash-dog-owners to be banned. They're more dangerous than e-bikes. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the species thinks they're "cute." :eek: (I was looking for the middle finger emoji and couldn't find it)

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Unfortunately nope, Soledad & Bouquet opened Dec 1st.

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Ok truth be told that's not Rusty and I found a sh!tty pic(pun intended) on google. Rusty's tail is cropped and his ears are bigger but other than that he looks just like the pooping model. He's always leashed, not because he'd hurt a flea but I just don't trust that he wouldn't take off.

14. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This completly freaks me out! Really!

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I wasn't referring to you - you seem to have yours attached to your bike every ride - but more toward the clueless idiots who take their dogs off leash on high-use trails. :rolleyes:

16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Well not my bike but at least one that I paid for :Roflmao...

17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Totally agree. Way too close to home.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    It's the ones that probably burned up in the Rye fire yesterday. Would have checked myself this morning but i woke up late and had to take a quicker route.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and rossage like this.
  19. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Is mountain biking really going to die do to e-bikes, this is not looking good!

20. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Alcohol hasn't removed cars or boats from the world and people actually die on a regular basis from those combinations. Our trails will be fine just a few more complaints from users.

21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

It’s not the trails I am worried so much about as the direction this is pointing, an all specific E-bike store? That store will be put out of business in a few years by the intenet anyway, but will there be a time when human powered bikes just don’t sell anymore due to weakness of the human spirit and muscle atrophy? The market has it’s sights set on lazy, the trend points to e-bikes, and to me the companies are quickly focusing there energy on what will make these bikes more appealing to ride. I know there potentialy is a mountain of rebutal argument over saying it could never ever happen, that human powerd bicycles can’t go extinct, but at this point nothing surprises me anymore! I had a dream last night that Specialized came out with it’s latest version of there motor cycle called the Snowflake. E-bike specific store! Things are moving quickly!

22. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    The world has been trending this way for years and that's not gonna stop E bikes or not. Enjoy your life and don't worry about others it's futile. Yes you will be impacted from an idiot from time to time(usually only a miniscule part of your day) move on quickly from it. I spent the better part of my life worrying about others and what the govt was and wasn't doing. All that did was make me negative and angry. You and I can do very little to change our world. Now I have found some great friends and waste my time with them having a great time and am much happier for the most part. To hell with politics and unwinable battles. Not worth my time.

23. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I come to this forum to enjoy riding through others eyes and it's bumming me out that it's becoming more political. I don't watch TV, read newspapers or listen to much radio for this reason.

24. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I completly agree with all you said, losing trails won’t stop me from riding my bike, I’ll just adapt, for me that is easy. I’m not walking around angry, maybe a little shocked with how quick change is . I knew the e-bike was here to stay a long time ago, or a short time ago. I still have time to buy a human powerd bike and I will take very good care of it when I do.

Old&InTheWay, HBkites, kioti and 3 others like this.
  25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Human powered bikes are going no where.

26. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Open trail ebikes? Yikes.
    Off leash dog? Im guilty... selfish dog owner... but she was trained...rip
    But only on weekdays on the floop...
    I still miss her running behind my back wheel.. then waiting on the side when she was too tired.. waiting for her ride home..
    Some dogs should never be off leash.. ..
    I miss my dog....

27. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I am not sure about you guys, but 99% of my family are not active and never has been, back to my Great Grand Parents. Who I got to spend many years with. I have 2 uncles that played sports and don't anymore. My son got me active. My point is I don't think it's just the kids these days that are the problem. I believe the problem has always been just more people these days and we are more aware of our surroundings making it look like the sky is falling. It's not! It's changing -like it always will for good and for bad. See it the way you want I will be outside kicking ass!

DangerDirtyD, UPSed, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    From their web site:

Mountain Bike Tours
    People visit the area from all around the world to experience the best mountain biking trails in southern California! If you’re looking for an experienced mountain biking tour guide for the So Cal area, you’ve found it! We have beautiful trails near the store if you would like a tour of our neck of the woods or just give us a call and we will meet you at your local trail! Let the Open Trails guides show you the mountain and explain how "Uphill is the new Downhill! Contact or visit Open Trails EMTB us today for more information.

[EDIT] I just sent them this email: On your website, it sounds like you are supporting / encouraging eBike use in Angeles National Forest(?) For the record, eBikes are not allowing on any of the bike-legal trails in the National Forest. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the ranger at (626) 574-1613. [/EDIT]

29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Awesome, hopefully this will get people outside and off the couch.

30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yeah... just like the dirt-bikers I saw on Harding Truck Trail this Sunday. I'm sorry, but I do not take the stance "all uses are good uses".

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?