Buena Park Bikes/Fullerton Bikes

Discussion in 'Local Bike Shop Reviews' started by Runs with Scissors, Jun 3, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Both of these places are great...they won't always have what you want, but they will do their best to make sure you get what you need. They're mostly responsive, mostly fast, and mostly good to deal with.

No one is perfect, but I don't dwell on the negatives unless they outweigh the positives. In the case of these bike shops, the positives are superior. (Both owned by the same guy, another Mike, and I bought my Giant MTB there).

2. Mike is the only one that could (would) price match the my custom HD3 build (inclusive of taxes). Other shops couldn't (wouldn't) even price match an Ibis website build to the custom build quoted to me by Fanatik.

Mike came through on my custom Tranny build in 2013 and has come through once again.

That guy is a class act through and through.

3. Mr.All-is-on

Mr.All-is-on Member

Name:
    Keith
    Current Bike:
    2017 Giant Reign SX
    Mike is an awesome guy. He hooked me up with my new Reign . I called him on Thursday and made the deposit. He did not have my size frame and they were on backorder. And he and Mark ( His Giant Rep. who is a friend of mine ) Hunted one down locally for me and I was able to pick it up on Friday. Awesome customer service. And support.

4. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I think I'm going to avoid the BP store and only shop at the Fullerton store. A few weeks ago , I was in a bind and needed 1 shifter cable and 6ft of shift hose. They didnt have the normal shimano, nor jagwire sets and decided to do me a solid and sold me the shop bulk roll instead. Later, I got home and was confused whether or not I got a solid or bamboozle to spend 35 on 1 zink coated cable, 2 end caps, 1 silver crimp, and 4.5 ft of housing cuz the guy cant measure.

It was my 1st time at the Bp shop. I usually shop at the fully branch.

5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    BP has been hit or miss lately. I'm pretty much sticking with FB also (which is where I bought the bikes).

6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yup. Always like going into the Fullerton shop over the BP. Mike is usually in there during the weekday.. Always good to say hello..
    Always been treated well and the work they do has been great... no problems.. always quick and efficient... for the last 10- 15 years or so...

7. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yes Mike is a very nice guy and shop owner treats you good, and gets you help if he is busy. Fullerton bike store does have more variety" on just about everything over BP, although I do more buisness at the BP store I always like to deal w/ Hugo the mechanic he is very knowledgeable and also a great guy. Overall great group of employees working for Mike!

8. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I've never been to the BP store but the Fully shop is by my office. Mike and the guys are always really helpful and cool. Ethan built-up a bullet proof front wheel for me awhile back and even their newer (or new to me,) staff seems to be pretty good with customer service.
    They don't have a ton of stock which is understandable- but they'll order for you. I also think it's cool that they'll stock some of the more interesting apparel stuff that you can usually only see online, off the top of my head I'm thinking like ridge supply and hand-up gloves.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'm not a LBS guy.....but they hooked us up on my wife's Tallboy 3. Mike and the gang have treated us well each time we had been in there.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've never been in either store, but I did have the chance to meet Mike a few weeks before VQ at the doppler ball. Nice guy... :thumbsup:

11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So the latest is that I'm pretty disappointed in the BP store. All I wanted was some spacers to stick between the headset and stem. They only have carbon (carbon spacers??? Weight Wienies unite!!!) at $17 a pop. No thanks.

Luckily Performance (! :confused:) came through and had alloy spacers for $4 per package of 18mm total spacers. Got two of them (The steerer tube on the Kona is uber-longo_O).

Not sure I can depend on BP to have anything I need. Which truly sucks, because they're all of 3 miles away.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My favorite bike shop line "We can order that for ya...."

I feel for them though. How do you know what to stock? It's a crapshoot.

13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Agreed - but 1 1/8 spacers should be de rigueur & de minimus for any bike shop.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Agreed. As basic as chain lube, inner tubes and extra firm titanium springs for a 2013 Fox 40. :confused:

(Well, maybe not the springs.)

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    But sometimes it is hard to know what to stock. Sometimes you have that customer that needed something slightly old or out of the ordinary. Then they are shocked that you don't have the item in stock. We have a 20,000 sq ft shop and can't stock everything QBP, J&B and KHS have in their catalogs. I can tell you that have a ton of Shimano XT 755/756 brake pads in stock if anyone still uses them.

16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ive got enough extra spacers (alloy and CF) in my parts drawer to reach from here to the moon if I stacked them all. Just ask next time you need some.

17. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    That's how priceline got its deals. They went around buying bulk old stock and reselling them on a slick website. Sometimes I scratch my head and wondered how they had 50 pieces of left side formula mixmaster clamps, but then at $8 a piece, I'm not complaining. I miss that site.

18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Never heard of that site. Alot of places including Jenson USA buy huge quantities of inventory for nothing and resell it for a profit.
    You would have to a warehouse the size of QBP’s to have everything someone could every wanted.

Cyclotourist, Torrent77 and mtnbikej like this.
  19. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Danmtchl and Torrent77 like this.
  20. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Exactly right. Phone likes to intensively autocorrect.

Danmtchl and jaime like this.
  21. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Dammit it's intrusive not intensively.

Danmtchl and Runs with Scissors like this.
  22. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Haven't been to BP since Ricardo left the business and Andre went to FB. Still getting great deals and service from Andre.:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, herzalot, ricke24 and 2 others like this.
  23. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    I got my Santa Cruz from Fullerton Bikes, Mike is a cool guy. Only been to BP bikes once before I had bought my hard tail at La Mirada Cyclery but people were too busy to help me so I left

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?