Source of my chronic lower back pain.

Discussion in 'Health' started by dustyyoungblood, Oct 28, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. I've been working with a great PT the last five weeks. I was in so much pain a few weeks ago that I was thinking of selling my bike and just sinking into a seditary lifestyle. In a couple sessions we reduced/ellimated the pinching pain in my sacroiliac joint. And worked through a muscle knot in my lower back to gain some mobility.

But the plot thickens....

As it turns out, I am the most inflexible human alive. At this moment I am extremely asymmetric, with my right hip(among many joints) not functioning like it should. Super limited rotation. The problem appears to be that my muscles and contective tissues and are shortened and stiff and just not moving, which led to this presenting as back pain, because of all the stiff tissue tugging and pulling my hips every time I take a step or pedal, thus my lower spine experiences an unfair work load. PT is confident we can get me back to normal, but it's going to take time and patience and pain. Super basic stretches are really hard for me even to get into right now. It's really embarrassing to be so completely dramatically out of wack.

This isn't out of the blue, I've had my back seaze up least once every couple years since high school. I've got a little bit of scoliosis, and also a muscle tear on one of my left quads when I was 14 set me up with some asymetry that's always been in the back ground but never slowed me down much. Until now with this hip thing. It's by far some of the worst shap (mobility wise) I have been in.

Listen to what Coach Dee is saying about the hips here. If I was doing these stretches 6 months ago I would never be in this position now. Think I may take a few weeks away than risk injuring myself.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Good to see that you're homing in on the cause and fixing that, instead of just treating symptoms. :thumbsup: You'll be up and riding in no time.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. I will be stronger and better!!!!!

Mikie, HBkites, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mikie, Cyclotourist, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  5. Mikie, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Despite the lustworthiness of Abi (or maybe because of...), the dead pigeon is actually the stretch that helped me get some motion in my hip, which helped me stabilize my back a little better.

7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @younglblood sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I have dealt with similar issues. For me... stretching regularly is one key. Chiropractor every few months is another key. And, "unlocking" my hips was the golden key. You unlock those hips and then everything else falls into place so much easier.
    Good luck on your rehab!

Mikie and kioti like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good luck getting through the weeds, @dustyyoungblood. Patience and persistence pay!

But you gotta know that you have some heavy competition in the least limber category. I was in a PT office where they were checking the mobility of my low back. After a quick look he called all the employees over to observe. I think some were laughing. So, yea...

Mikie, mtnbikej, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  9. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Mikie and herzalot like this.
  10. Yep same experience here, firstly the interns were called around to see my legs bent up in a running stride position, so the PT could tell me "I hope you did not have any dreams of become on Olympic hurdler" Why? "Because your knee would need to be here and here" Oh, so I am not even close "right". Can I atleast run "No, not yet".

Whatever, Sprinted for a PR on water works last time I rode, guess that was a mistake and was risking serious injury.

11. Digging deeper. My pelvis is out of alignment, Hip flexors and abductors are all feeling fatigued and sore. Getting some mobility back, but still very stiff on the right side. A few more weeks.

Mikie, mike and herzalot like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't really "like" but I appreciate you sharing, and wish you the best in managing your conditions.

Mikie likes this.
  13. One thing I found helpful the last few weeks is listening to every podcast I could find with Kelly Starrett, and then now signing up for access to his daily Mobility WOD videos. apparently 10 minutes a day is going to save my life.

https://www.mobilitywod.com/

Mikie likes this.
  14. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Hope you get it sorted...

if you need a recommendation on a sports trainer/chiro... His office is within a "boot camp"
    facility so he has a captive audience, he's also very athletic and understands sports injury, not
    the typical chiro that does standard adjustments. One thing I've learned is once a muscle is
    tight, pretty soon the whole spine will be out of whack but the body sorta adapts and we
    ignore it until injury occurs. I limp in thinking I have a pinched nerve but it's almost always
    3 at the neck, 3 upper back, 3 lower.

I have free chiro hookup but I pay instead.

Mikie and dustyyoungblood like this.
  15. goodionik

goodionik Guest

Thanks for sharing this

Mikie likes this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Is there a lot of good riding in USA? And I'm not familiar with your type of bike...

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    IP From Virginia, 20 Years Old, does not own a mountain bike, and has no gender. Why do I hear the soundtrack from Jaws?

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was waiting to see what he had to sell! Is it a pain killer or some sort of gateway to 20 generations of ancestors?

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    eBike sales.... :thumbsup:

20. goodionik

goodionik Guest

Well… I’m a spammer from the other side of the planet. I’ve been banned for being naughty and the link to my snake oil has been deleted.

Cyclotourist, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I must have missed it? @Faust29 , did Goodionik pull the trigger on "it's" imtbtrails destiny?

@mike and I want to know...

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Insert Why Not Both meme here.

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Agreed, I mean "Come On!" anyone with a wild eyed stare such as this has GOT to have.... issues. :whistling:
    upload_2021-7-6_12-20-24.png

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    He popped up this morning with a link to a wonder cure for back pain. The link was on the other side of the planet, and I didn’t even recognize the language…

herzalot, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In some circles, the phrase "lower back pain" is synonymous with "pain in the ass".

Mikie, Faust29 and mike like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ironically - or coincidentally (you decide which) - I went to my chiropractor today for the first time in about 4 years for my lower back issues. I'm a mess, but Dr, G will fix me!

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    It is a cold a rainy day today, so I was sitting here drinking my coffee watching mountain bike skills videos, and in the back of my mind I remembered reading this thread about chronic lower back pain while riding. Make sure you aren't curling your back while riding and that you are flexing at the hips while maintaining a flat back. Check out this video:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?