Tailwind...

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Gonna take it for a spin on Wednesday. I will give you a professional, in-depth review based on my extensive background in sports nutrition and bonsai.

tailwind.jpg

Danimal, kioti, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Psssst....it works.....really. ;):thumbsup:

kioti, Faust29, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm so over stocked on Hammer right now, it'll be 3 years at least before I need anything.

Voodoo Tom, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I actually really like the Hammer gel packets. I just bought a couple of cases of raspberry. I always have several in my backpack just in case - for personal use or to share with someone who could use a pick-me-up. I don't see myself getting rid of them any time soon... I like the flavor and they are a great snack for when I am kicking back on the top of Santiago or whatever.

Voodoo Tom, kioti, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm not very picky, especially when half of it was given at a heavy discount, the other half was free :)

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    We really need randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, not anecdotal reports.

HBkites and Mikie like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Just buy some and try it for yourself. Then YOU can decide whether or not it works. :thumbsup:

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Varaxis would do such a test, but now he just makes his own version...

Voodoo Tom, kioti, rossage and 6 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    ^^^^This^^^^

All the studies in the world are irrelevant to how it interacts with you. Everyone is different. It may not work for you...or it may just be the bomb. But not a gut bomb.

10. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yes it does :thumbsup:

Six days straight of riding in Tahoe plus one day of Cannell. Not one hint of leg cramps. I say it works as advertised :geek:

I used to carry a water bottle of either Heed from Hammer or Skratch Labs but it wasn't enough on long rides. I came to this realization in 2016 on my first leg of the Kokopelli trail. After 50 miles @Mikie saw me roll into camp and stumble around like a zombie.
    For day two I decided to add Heed to the water in my camelback instead and carry plain water in my bottle. Success! But I still had to eat something when I started to feel hungry, and the leg cramps still lingered.
    So after reading the comments posted here about how well the product works, I ordered the 50 serv bag of naked flavored Tailwind plus the individual sample packs.
    I'm now on my third bag. I use 5-6 scoops in my 3L camelback bladder for long rides. On short rides 1-2 scoops in a LG water bottle is enough.
    On last Sunday's ride two of my friends were commenting on what electrolyte drink they were currently using. One mentioned reading about Tailwind and I confirmed the success I had with it. Also mentioned how I don't have to carry so much food.
    I still carry a energy bar or a PBJ sandwich as well for rides longer than three hours, but I think it's more out of habit. :coffee:

kioti, rossage, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm not sure if you are razzing us, or if you just don't get it, mister. o_O
    Have you actually tried it yet? If you have and it did not work for you ( I actually can not find that possible) then let go Luke, use The Force. But if you have not used it, or refuse to use it until some miraculous testimony comes along (like @Runs with Scissors who held out) then man, I don't know what to tell you. :bang:

The impression you are leaving me with is that you do not trust your fellow mountain bikers. That there personal (my personal) testimony is not good enough.
    All I can say at this point is you are going to feel really silly when you finally DO try it and it works amazing for you as it has for now half of imtbtrails. Okay, half is probably a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe more like 3/8ths... or something along the line of 5/16ths.:rolleyes:
    Unless you really are razzing us and making us work hard here for nothing.
    Are you?

Tell you what. Buy a 50 scoop bag of Naked. Follow the instructions and try it as long as you like. If you do not like it. I will buy it from you at full price.:thumbsup:

Redman, redwoods, Danimal and 12 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TW was the help I needed to break three hours on my Joplin circuit, also bagging the trail twice in a day. I know it's all relative, but those were two goals that were sticking points for a long time. I'm as impressed with it as a pre-ride and recovery supplement as during an event; I'm amazed that I can do a hard-for-me ride and be functional afterward. A continuous nutritive infusion you can't get with food, and TW is quite user friendly as far as residue and nastiness in bladders, etc. A $50+ order (two 50-serving bags) will get you free delivery directly from TW. It isn't cheap, but I think in this case you get what you pay for. Too many success stories from a diverse group of riders on this site alone to write it off. Anecdotally speaking, it works. With the Mikie Watson Guarantee, you'd be plain stubborn to not try it, @scan.

herzalot, kioti, HBkites and 9 others like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Abraham Lincoln said on the internet that it did no better in the double-blind tests than Doritos and 7-Up. YMMV

redwoods, Danimal, herzalot and 14 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Abe bought that quote from Al Gore, who overindulged on the Doritos. :whistling:

Voodoo Tom, kioti, MattB and 4 others like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Both approved!
    futurama-lincolns-head-570x431.jpg

Al%20Gore%27s%20Head.png

herzalot, kioti, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  16. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Mikie is pushing Naked on his website now!
    What will that do to all the Amazon ads?!.

Voodoo Tom, kioti, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... :eek:oh crap!

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm pretty sure he was joking, at least, that's how it came across to me, but...

Everyone responds to things differently and what works for you may not work for me. And what works as a placebo RARELY works for me (I would argue never, but don't have evidence). Unfortunately mostly fueling things are placebo's. My argument is if it is a placebo, and it works, then it works. If TW is a placebo, but you perform better, then it works.

For me, personally, I use a different source than mountain bikers for fueling anecdotes. Mostly because it is really hard to test nutrition for my purposes.

I'm not saying TW does or does not do EXACTLY what they claim. It works for you, and that is all that matters.

19. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    This stuff is the bomb, literally, bring too much through TSA and you will be detained.

herzalot, Voodoo Tom, kioti and 5 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    No worries Josh. scan and I go back to the days of STR. He knows I'm messing with him as much as he is messing with me! :thumbsup:

Here's the deal...
    I think we can drop the word "placebo".
    pla·ce·bo
    pləˈsēbō/
    noun
    noun: placebo; plural noun: placebos
    1. a harmless pill, medicine, or procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect.
      "his Aunt Beatrice had been kept alive on sympathy and placebos for thirty years"
      • a substance that has no therapeutic effect, used as a control in testing new drugs.
      • a measure designed merely to calm or please someone.
    My question to everyone is simply this: Can you ride for 8 hard hours on water alone?
    If you can, then you are a far better man than me, because I can't. Not even close. Gels, relish paks, and things of that nature are to fix a problem like cramps. They are a band aid for what you should have been doing in the first place. Consuming fuel.

I'm here to tell you that Tailwinds does EXACTLY what it claims. Provide all that you need to get through the ride. It works for me, and it apparently has worked for everyone (that I have ever met) that has used it. It's not about tricking my mind and my body into thinking it is getting supplied with a viable food source, it apparently IS getting supplied with a viable food source. There is no way I could fake long term stability, or even trick myself into thinking my body has the ability to sustain long term ride criteria.

It either does it or it does not do it. There is no placebo in Tailwinds. Tailwinds does it's job.
    My main point is for the doubting Thomas's, get your fanny perpendicular of the toilet seat and try it or shutty! ha hah!
    If guys like @mtnbikej and @Faust29 and @mike can't convince you based off their experience, their performance, and their amazing long mileage results, then sheesh!

Tailwinds was a total game changer for me. No more bonking, no more cramps, no more teachers dirty looks... Schools Out! :p

21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I put down beer for a day and drank Tailwind instead and finished Counting Coup with no cramps after no training. I agree, it works!

22. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I heard Tailwind causes ED.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Endurance Distances......yes it does. :thumbsup:

Old&InTheWay, Redman, kioti and 7 others like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You got that backwards! ED uses Tailwind! :Roflmao:Roflmao

25. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Glad my name is not Ed (no offense @UPSed) :whistling:

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah! Love it! [Clapping Smiley]

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    3a7c201f1d37deb49412363d768bd865--emoji-faces-smiley-faces.jpg

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    What I don't get is all the proselytizing that comes with the product. Everyone that tries it is always trying to get me to use it too. They drank the Kool-aid and it was good for them, so it must be good for you too!

Drink it!

I don't cramp so I am in no need of such a product. I must be doing something right with my diet or else maybe I'll just explode in a rectum-clearing spasm of semi-digested Chinese vegetables and In n out burgers. Coming soon to a trail near you....
    I got your Tailwinds

redwoods, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  29. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    That was the point of my message. If it works for you, that is all that matters.

People get offended by the word "placebo", which is just silly. It isn't an offensive term, it is scientific. And in science, a result based on a placebo is a result and important data and leads to new methods. Which does include the fact that people have been shown to improve in a lab setting by just swishing a sugar drink and spitting it back out compared to doing the same with water. The participants know exactly what they are doing, they aren't being fooled, but the results are there. The data showed an improvement, and that is an important result. TW might be doing exactly what you need, giving you fuel. It doesn't matter what it is doing, if it works, does it?

I did something in my last 8 hour race that I think was a placebo, but it worked. I am going to repeat it for my next race. If it works, it works.

http://caroltorgan.com/carbohydrates-sports-performance-rinse-win/

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I don't cramp either but it's cheaper than Gu and I don't have to carry food unless I'm on the bike for more than four hours. I have actually found that if I keep my stops to a minimum I can go all day provided I have enough Tailwind with me.

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, kioti and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?