Howdy gang!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by horsebikerider, Sep 9, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer

2. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Haha. Typical horse behavior for sure. A plug turns into a thoroughbred on the way back to the barn. That was my experience growing up.
    I begged my Dad for a horse but he called them "hay burners". Never did get one. I kind of see his point.
    We boarded a few at our farm and my uncle next door had lots so I could ride often. Still like them but can't afford one.

horsebikerider and Sidewalk like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Some years ago, I was in a long term relationship with a gal who was all about horses. She had a Thoroughbred and she did some showing. Her horse was brat, too. She bucked me off once and that's a long fall to the ground. :mad:

Nowadays, I only ride old, mellow Arabians that we rent from one of the barns at the Equestrian Center in Griffith Park. :D

horsebikerider likes this.
  4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Welcome Suz! Keep that dude of yours in check please :) I'm not much of a horse person (the lack of precision steering and mushy brakes scare me as much as being 5-6 feet off the ground and a twist or lean near falling off. Plus the joint and muscle pains the next day when you hardly ever ride a horse....

But.... Our family vacation this year was to a guest ranch in Montana. The focus is on horseback riding, up in the mountains around the ranch, out in the middle of nowhere. But there allot of other activities too. The horse trails were mostly on their property so no bikes or even hikers to deal with. Then I found out the owner is a mountain biker... damn, should have brought my bike.

IMG_9502.JPG IMG_9492.JPG This ranch does not stable the horses for any extended periods. They have them out in the meadows and round them up in the morning for the guest rides. In the winter they drive the heard (~100 horses) to a lower elevation near Bozman so they don't get snowbound. It was really cool learning about the operation, how they round up and move the horses in fall and back in spring. And take care of the foals that are born each spring.

Cheers!

5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm picturing a doop-de-doop ride up a trail with the bike strapped to a pack horse. Then a race back down to the barn with alfalfa and treats for the horses; beer and fixin's for the cowboy/shuttler! Yeehaw! :)

@knucklebuster, that's quite a ranch you went to. Nice shots!

6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    WAS being key word. Horse women are CRAZY!

Sh!t, is Suzanne still here?

My wife wants land, like I do. I suggested places like Idaho, Dakota, Montana...

But she doesn't like the cold. So here we are.

7. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Yeah, I hear ya @Sidewalk ....my gelding had always been that way....super slow going out but always kicks into another gear coming home. Fortunately, I have been able to train my mare not to do that! :cool:

8. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Yes, @Sidewalk, I'm still here and I'll be the first one to admit that I'm a crazy horse lady....but I ain't got nothing on my crazy biker husband ;-) @mtnbikej

Sidewalk, mtnbikej and MattB like this.
  9. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Mellow Arabians??????:cautious::cautious::cautious: I've only ever known one mellow Arab. LOL! But riding near Griffith Park has got to be beautiful!

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  10. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Thanks for the warm welcome, @knucklebuster and for sharing the beautiful pics.

HA!!! Keeping @mtnbikej in check is like herding cats.....just ain't gonna happen. :Roflmao Yeah, horsemanship and horseback riding isn't for everyone. It's definitely a labor of love, as that's what I have found. I enjoy the reciprocal relationship with them. But yes, I have had my fair share of injuries. It's not a question of how will one get hurt by a horse, but when. But, it's all worth it to me. I love enjoying the trails I ride my bike on horseback as well. It's nice getting a different perspective.

See you on the trails!

knucklebuster, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Basically "retired" horses. But yeah, I am well aware that Arabs are known to be a bit psycho.

Sidewalk likes this.