Howdy gang!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by horsebikerider, Sep 9, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Oh he must have been talking about me then :) Look forward to meeting you on the trails!!

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This is one thing that makes the Pioneertown ride so much fun. There were more HS kids out there this time than regular riders. It was cool to spend the day chatting with all of the different levels... Guys and gals who weren't far behind Tinker to the ones who barely made the cutoffs. Awesome kids... :thumbsup:

3. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    :Roflmao

mike, PATKOUG, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  4. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Yes, everyone, I am quite aware of the crass and smarminess that goes on in this hood. I did make the "choice" to join :bang:

kioti, mike, PATKOUG and 5 others like this.
  5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    You can stay then!

kioti, mike, horsebikerider and 3 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    What do you mean we have a grade school attent... something, something...

Wait, what was I saying?

7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You lost me at "school" :)

kioti, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  9. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    :alien:

Faust29 and mike like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My kid bought me a Star Wars fidget spinner. :cautious:

11. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Shut the door! Look who finally joined the Peanut Gallery!
    Now we can get to work on a REAL Hottie MTB Guys thread (not that you are not real there just seems to be a different theme on the Girls vs. Guys thread).

For those who have not had the pleasure of riding with Suz, she is a core rider no matter what saddle she is rocking (horse, cross bike, MTB). Drops me on the downhills like I'm a bad check. She has also been seen on the back of a J-bike conducting business on her phone while pedaling along.

Welcome!

kioti, Faust29, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  12. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Now, Kay, where's the sisterhood?? You can't just go off giving off all of my secrets right off the bat!!!! Where's the mystery and intrigue? Us girls gotta stick together, especially in this pond of piranhas! I'm not sharing any of my whiskey with you tonight. :laugh:

kioti, herzalot, mike and 5 others like this.
  13. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    More like goldfish!

horsebikerider and mtnbikej like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    English, western, or just like to pet the really big dogs?

horsebikerider likes this.
  15. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Western. But they are also like big dogs as I enjoy hand walking them for extra exercise for myself and because my older gelding is retired.

16. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Mine is not retired, actually amazingly well for his age and history. But since I don't ride much he mostly gets spoiled like a big dog. Lots of belly rubs and scratching on the neck. I guess that is universal.

Mine is 19, but has a cyst on one knee (which doesn't seem to bother him), and a half bum other front knee from breaking his leg at some point when he was younger. He still seems to think he is a barrel/gymkhana horse though...

17. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    @Sidewalk, that is great that you are a horse lover as well. Yes, belly rubs and neck scratches are definitely universal in the horse world. Glad to hear you guy is doing so great! My Morgan gelding is 26 and has ringbone in his front left and navicular in his front right as well as some pretty advanced arthritis in his right hock. However, despite these issues, he's doing really well. It's been a slow progression with not riding him as much anymore, but he still gets walked several times a week and turn out every day. Gotta keep him moving!
    I also have a 7 year old quarter horse mare. I got her when my gelding's arthritis really started getting bad 5 years ago. My girl is my main ride. Getting her a 2 1/2 taught me that I didn't know squat about riding horses....lol! As my good 'ol boy is such an easy and mellow dude.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I honestly don't know Sh!t, except lots of patience. I'm not really a horse person, the wife is. She brought him home as a rescue for her to ride, quickly learned that his anxiety was way too overwhelming for her. So then...another rescue. #2 (Pilgrim) was much more mellow and easy to ride, much more her speed. Though he was also old and bordering infirm, which worked for her also. He died about a year ago though, not exactly sure what from but he has always had health issues and we did everything we could for him. Both Festus and Pilgrim came from separate places, but both had clear signs of abuse in their past.

So she brought home another rescue...on trial this time. Quickly learned again that a 5 year old QH gelding was too much for her. Basically, she needs zero bucks, totally mellow, and you can't get that at 5. But when she tried to contact the rescue to work out either fostering him or bringing him back, and bringing home another one on trial, they basically ignored all calls and e-mail. So he ended up with a trainer friend who is working on him as a show jumping horse to sell him. If cash wasn't the issue, I would keep him (Davidson) and effectively retire Festus. But hay is expensive.

Then she found Shadow, a 20? year old retired mounted posse gelding Tennesse Walker. He is perfect for her, solid as a rock.

Nice thing about being in Norco (and mostly why we are here), turn out space. We have two stalls, but basically leave the gates open at all times so they are always turned out. Shadow gets locked up at lunch as he needs extra calories, but other than lunch time they both have free reign over the pasture at all times.

19. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Too funny! Yup, I have learned more patience owning horses than from anything else in life. Patience, persistence and consistence.

Wow! Sounds like you have had quite the herd of horses! That is so good of both of you to rescue and provide them with good homes. But, yeah, taking care of horses isn't cheap or easy! Thank god for a wonderful network of horse friends who help us along the way. I, honestly, am so impressed with the kindness and willingness of the majority of horse people that I have met. There is so much to know and learn, and having friendly and willing people to help you is so amazing.

I am so happy that your wife found Shadow! Finding the right fit is tough, it's very similar to human relationships....actually, it's EXACTLY the same! LOL! Some people get along with each other, some don't. It's the same with the human equine relationships.

Yeah, I thought I knew how to ride after owning my good 'ol boy, Licorice for 4 years. I didn't know Sh!t! It's taken me and my girl to truly bond and respect each other. She requires a completely different approach than Licorice. But, again, she has taught me more patience. There were many times I wanted to give up and thought I was in over my head trying to train her, but I am so glad I stuck with it because the level of comfort and confidence we have together, now, is amazing. The best part is how well Licorice and Cowgirl get along together. They love grooming each other. I'm so lucky to finally be boarding at a place where I can allow them to be horses.

Are you and your wife going to the Norco Horse Affair on October 6, 7 & 8th? I have a couple of friends competing in the horse challenge, so I plan on heading out there on one or more of the days.

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Since we did not & do not have the wherewithal to own a horse, we leased one for our daughter while she was riding (English; show jumping & under saddle). But prior to that she pretty much had to ride whichever horse was available. This made her a much better rider; she can take just about any horse and go. Turned out better for her, I think.

Now, when she rides "Ollie," she calls him her couch. :rolleyes:

The blue ribbons were numerous!! :laugh:

21. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Leasing is a great way to start with horses. That's exactly what I did with Licorice. I started leasing him and when I decided that this was something I truly wanted to do I started investigating more about costs of ownership. But, yes, totally, getting to ride a lot of different horses will definitely make one a better rider. That is so wonderful that your daughter has had that experience.

And, yes, couches are wonderful thing....that's how Licorice was/is for me.....Cowgirl, she's not as wide as Licorice and she can move on a dime when she wants to.:ninja:

Cornholio and Runs with Scissors like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Akin to being fair to sexy men via the hottie MTB boys thread, we should be fair to the cows and chickens and piggies and fishies when considering horsies (and doggies and kitties) by developing hearty recipies of their meat. They'd be great for the next iMTBtrails tailgate party!

Cornholio likes this.
  23. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Just the two right now. I would make it 3 if I could afford to hand on to Davidson.

Unfortunately, we have had some bad experience when it comes to animals in general, including the horses. So we made a rule that neither of us is away from home at the same time more than a day, and that is rare. So only one of us goes away overnight at a time.

I don't think so. She might, but I doubt I am.

24. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    :stop:...oh, I've heard stories about you @DangerDirtyD ! :Roflmao When I have to put my old guy down it's horsemeat steaks for everyone!! That's if you want all the meds I have been giving him in your system!:p

Faust29, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I used to jump on my aunt’s and cousin’s horses bareback as a kid with my other cousin and we would see who could stay on the longest (is that rodeo?). Other than that my horseback riding experience is limited to summer camp at Bluff Lake up in Big Bear back when the YMCA still owned it.

(Just trying to fit in somehow here, I’ll go ahead and excuse myself now)...

26. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    You are a smarter person sticking to bikes:
    A. Bikes don't have a mind of their own and do random stupid Sh!t.
    B. Bikes don't have to eat constantly. No cost letting it sit and do nothing.
    C. I consider being around, and especially riding, horses to be the most dangerous thing I do.

27. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    @Sidewalk , yes, these things are true....however, I do find that my bikes aren't as reciprocal as my horses. The challenge/reward ratio is higher, for me, with my horses....it's probably a chick thing :rolleyes: Either way, I am blessed to have many modes of transportation and fun with all of my bikes and horses :D

28. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Dang! I can only imagine the effects. Ya think they'd make me ride faster or longer? Maybe get rid of poison oak?

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Nope....they'll make you just mosey along.

30. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    You mean mosey along when you are leaving the barn, but haul ass as fast as possible when you are heading back?

Weird how I struggle to get Festus to go faster than 10:00min/mile when I start our runs, but soon as we are heading home he seems to be okay with 7:00min/miles?